Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotland votes to provide free period products universally

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

seenitall wrote: »
    Always is not a luxury brand! Just your standard, middle of the road quality- and price-wise products.

:P

Ha. Yeah I meant like they were all along rather then the brand Always. But I’ll defer to your experience of quality.

My brother was shop security in a major supermarket many years ago, I remember him telling me one of the most common items he caught women shoplifting was sanitary products and baby nappies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

My brother was shop security in a major supermarket many years ago, I remember him telling me one of the most common items he caught women shoplifting was sanitary products and baby nappies.

That's sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Gruffalux wrote: »

Those women are clearly shít parents and yadda yadda...

Am I doing this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Business that deal with the public commonly have toilet paper, light bulbs, christmas decorations, curtains stolen. Security cameras have helped reduce this.
    You say it’s an old fashioned view but in reality it’s a very new idea. Just looks at how these campaigners and activists had to fight to have it implemented and how many modern people oppose it.

In reality, doing it is a very modern idea. It’s today’s “”PC gone mad” and tomorrow’s sensible idea. Most of those who oppose it today will forget they ever opposed.
    NO, just you are not taking on board economics.

Gervais08 wrote: »
    I misread nothing and will not apologise for calling out anti women sentiment.
    You should apologise. There was no anti-women sentiment.
    As you have pointed out, attempts to provide free to all have failed miserably. However, just because one essential item is undeliverable free at the point of purchase does not mean all are. Having period products freely available in certain places is a lot more simple.
    I predict will be. As I said, it is no problem to provide to women in need but not to all, forever after.
    Who cares? They are not in a position to provide free food to everyone but are in a position to provide free tampons to the small numbers of people who need it. It's not that complex an idea to grasp

It isnt about providing tampons to women in need. That is easy to do and we already do that. It is about providing free to all.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

You should apologise. There was no anti-women sentiment..

Not going to happen and stop trying to Moderate - if you think my post was wrong - report it.

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Not going to happen and stop trying to Moderate - if you think my post was wrong - report it.

So then why is saying tampons etc are no more essential then food vile misogyny? The lack of humility of feminists to admit wrong doing today is breathtaking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

So then why is saying tampons etc are no more essential then food vile misogyny? The lack of humility of feminists to admit wrong doing today is breathtaking.

Again, report it. I’m not engaging with you any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

NO, just you are not taking on board economics.

No to what? It wasn’t a question. What do you mean?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

beachhead wrote: »
    I believe that story referred to certain African countries but could be more widespread

It undoubtedly happens in developing countries, but I've also read about it happening in western countries as well. Maybe not specifically Scotland, but definitely some of the more socially disadvantaged parts of the States. And if it happens there, you can be sure it's happening in the UK, here, and elsewhere.
    An Ri rua wrote: »
    Would you concur that food poverty might be more widespread, even among this subgroup? Therefore free food too? For all.
    Don't get me wrong, I agree. Free everything, comrade.

Of course food poverty is an issue for many in that group, both from the point of view of them getting nutritionally balanced meals, but also in many cases simply meals of any kind. Just look at Marcus Rashford's campaign regarding school meals for kids to see how many are affected and rely on them. But a kid can go to school on an empty stomach, however less than acceptable that is in this day and age. But for girls to miss school over not being able to afford something so important to them yet relatively inexpensive - why wouldn't you want to do something about that? Education has long been recognised as the key factor in people being able to pull themselves out of the poverty trap. When you have kids who are probably not getting as good an education as they could in the first place simply due to where they were born, why would you want any of them to miss any school at all? Surely it's for the greater good that they get the best educations possible so that they can hopefully get better jobs and contribute more to society? If nothing else, I'm sure that that has to appeal to your uncaring right-wing sensibilities?

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    It undoubtedly happens in developing countries, but I've also read about it happening in western countries as well. Maybe not specifically Scotland, but definitely some of the more socially disadvantaged parts of the States. And if it happens there, you can be sure it's happening in the UK, here, and elsewhere.

Of course food poverty is an issue for many in that group, both from the point of view of them getting nutritionally balanced meals, but also in many cases simply meals of any kind. Just look at Marcus Rashford's campaign regarding school meals for kids to see how many are affected and rely on them. But a kid can go to school on an empty stomach, however less than acceptable that is in this day and age. But for girls to miss school over not being able to afford something so important to them yet relatively inexpensive - why wouldn't you want to do something about that? Education has long been recognised as the key factor in people being able to pull themselves out of the poverty trap. When you have kids who are probably not getting as good an education as they could in the first place simply due to where they were born, why would you want any of them to miss any school at all? Surely it's for the greater good that they get the best educations possible so that they can hopefully get better jobs and contribute more to society? If nothing else, I'm sure that that has to appeal to your uncaring right-wing sensibilities?

The idea that is somewhat acceptable in Ireland for a girl to miss school because of lack of tampons is your assertion. It might be true but without any evidence it is just an assertion. Have you any evidence of this? If it is true, I imagine it is dysfunctional families who are unable to manage money because there is adequate social protection to pay for tampons for all. Charities like SvP do a lot to help these families and I am be shocked if they are deaf to the sanitary needs of girls.

A teenage girl is not going to contact SVdP if they don't have any tampons. They'll ask a friend, or if caught out in school, maybe a teacher. There were a few teachers in my daughter's secondary school that kept packets of pads and tampons they gave them out discreetly to the girls who needed them. My daughter said you'd be shocked at the number of girls who had to ask, every month.

More on period poverty in Ireland: Period Poverty: Motion Dail Eireann 13/03/2019

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

Ha. Yeah I meant like they were all along rather then the brand Always. But I’ll defer to your experience of quality.

I know, I was attempting a word-play joke... it seems that one person got it anyhow! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You don't have to have a bed to sleep. Granted it won't be as comfortable but people can sleep on couches, chairs, inflatable mattresses, on floors in sleeping bags. I'm not suggesting beds are a luxury, but it's a poor analogy.

Women can't stop blood flowing from their vaginas once a month, so for the small number of women that genuinely can't afford sanitary products I really don't think it's a big ask to make provision for them.

I'm genuinely amazed at the number of men on this thread that think sanitary products are effectively optional.

In times gone by, women used rags and washed them.. heaven forbid any child has to go back to that .

Can they not just put supplies in eg school toilets so girls can just have access as they do now to toilet paper and paper towels?

Advertisement