Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotland votes to provide free period products universally

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well bog roll costs money and that's required on a daily basis. I can certainly see very good logic in subsidising period products, but free to everyone?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

It's not free if taxes are paying for it.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,842 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Food is also required by everyone. Perhaps should be free too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's anti woman charging for these products, and that's just not allowed these days.

I'd say not a single woman thought these should be handed out for free, until this idea was floated.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

NIMAN wrote: »
    It's anti woman charging for these products, and that's just not allowed these days.

What complete and utter nonsense. Period poverty is very real for many women, I've read stories of girls skipping school when they had their period because they couldn't afford sanitary products. A simple measure to ensure that doesn't happen again in the future should be applauded, not derided.

• Advertisement

It will be interesting to see how they manage this. It’s a great idea but I would imagine the implementation could be tricky.

Zaph wrote: »
    What complete and utter nonsense. Period poverty is very real for many women, I've read stories of girls skipping school when they had their period because they couldn't afford sanitary products. A simple measure to ensure that doesn't happen again in the future should be applauded, not derided.

With that in mind, I don't believe anyone has an issue with people who need to avail of these products in this manner having them made available to them in a school setting or in a setting where public bodies have influence, the sticking point is the following ; "Sanitary products are free for pupils and students in Scotland, but the bill now places a legal duty on ministers to set up a country-wide scheme to ensure anyone can get access to them."

How exactly can that be implemented? I think asking that question is fair enough and doesn't fall under the heading of derision.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Food is also required by everyone. Perhaps should be free too.

When out and about would you expect to pay for the toilet paper in the toilets of the local shopping center? Did you pay for the toilet paper in your school when you went there? What about where you work?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Aegir wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how they manage this. It’s a great idea but I would imagine the implementation could be tricky.

How is it tricky? They put vending machines in the womens toilets in public buildings (schools etc)

****ing hell, some people (this part is aimed at the thread, not you ) will oppose anything that involves people being helped out. It really is an indictment of society the way a certain portion of people think. Their first reaction to the actual people in society that need help might be getting it, is to think "well this is going to cost me money" or that they dont deserve help.

You only have to look at the UK. Every story like this is flooded with comments about what a disgrace it is and what a waste of money it is. Its very interesting when you look at the profiles of these people (when its on social media) and they bend over backwards in other stories defending the Tories and the billions they shovel in to the pockets of their friends. Theres plenty of similar attitudes here. None of these people are self aware enough to realise they are David Mitchell in a nazi uniform.

nullzero wrote: »
    With that in mind, I don't believe anyone has an issue with people who need to avail of these products in this manner having them made available to them in a school setting or in a setting where public bodies have influence, the sticking point is the following ; "Sanitary products are free for pupils and students in Scotland, but the bill now places a legal duty on ministers to set up a country-wide scheme to ensure anyone can get access to them."

How exactly can that be implemented? I think asking that question is fair enough and doesn't fall under the heading of derision.
    Vending machines in toilets, available for free in pharmacies, available for free in shops. It's not that difficult to implement.

• Advertisement

• Reading the first few replies filled me with despair, the latter half thankfully rectified that.

Can’t understand how anyone would suggest that a woman should be forced to go without sanitary products for lack of income or otherwise.

Vending machines in toilets, available for free in pharmacies, available for free in shops. It's not that difficult to implement.

Machines in toilets in restaurants, schools etc is easy. Making them free in shops will mean shops won’t stock them.

And what product is free? Tesco own brand, or all brands?

How is it tricky? They put vending machines in the womens toilets in public buildings (schools etc)

****ing hell, some people (this part is aimed at the thread, not you ) will oppose anything that involves people being helped out. It really is an indictment of society the way a certain portion of people think. Their first reaction to the actual people in society that need help might be getting it, is to think "well this is going to cost me money" or that they dont deserve help.

You only have to look at the UK. Every story like this is flooded with comments about what a disgrace it is and what a waste of money it is. Its very interesting when you look at the profiles of these people (when its on social media) and they bend over backwards in other stories defending the Tories and the billions they shovel in to the pockets of their friends. Theres plenty of similar attitudes here. None of these people are self aware enough to realise they are David Mitchell in a nazi uniform.

Talk about an over reaction.

Outraged on the behalf of others? Check.

Condescending tone? Check.

Use of the word Nazi? Check.

If we're talking about making these items available in public spaces, it's easy to implement, but if the notion that they should be made available to all citizens who require them free of charge then that's something to ponder, which can be achieved without opposing the idea.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Reading the first few replies filled me with despair, the latter half thankfully rectified that.

Can’t understand how anyone would suggest that a woman should be forced to go without sanitary products for lack of income or otherwise.

bog roll, food, medicine, electricity, heating, housing.

Of course the real difference is men use all of the above so cant be handed out at the tax payers expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Zaph wrote: »

I agree with the sentiment of your post, but that’s just poverty, I don’t get why it needs to be called “period poverty”. I know it’s only a small thing but it zeroes in on such a small part of a much wider issue IMO, which is the number of women and girls who are in circumstances where they need to avail of sanitary products funded by the State in the first place. The announcement of State sponsored fanny pads doesn’t mean diddly squat tbh.

It says in the article that they will be made available in all public facilities, and I’d imagine distribution would be similar to the way the HSE provides for these things for women and girls here in Ireland. It’s not exactly a popular service, most women will go without something else in order to be able to go to the supermarket with a bit of dignity rather than their local community centre or family planning clinics or what have you for these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Talk about an over reaction.

Outraged on the behalf of others? Check.

Condescending tone? Check.

Use of the word Nazi? Check.

Could be worse, I could have just jumped straight in with questioning poor people getting help.
    If we're talking about making these items available in public spaces, it's easy to implement, but if the notion that they should be made available to all citizens who require them free of charge then that's something to ponder, which can be achieved without opposing the idea.
    What are you afraid of? That a few women who could be able to afford to buy themselves tampons might get a couple for nothing? Such a waste of government resources that could be used to fund nuclear missiles or something........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

No apparently its very easy these days, you just pop it in, no awkward pads or embarrassing moments.

The UK has already reduced VAT to the lowest it can for these products and all schools issue them for free.

But as I said in my previous post, where are they free and what brands does it cover?

Shelf space in a shop is a precious commodity. If supermarkets don’t get revenue they won’t waste space in the products. If they do, human nature also says people will take ten times more than they need as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Of all the things my tax pays that I could get outraged about this seems very trivial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭enricoh

What's the dole in scotland £60 odd iirc, what's it here e203.
    Cut the dole to uk rates and hand out free sanitary stuff - sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It's a no brainer for public facilities and schools anyway. They really are an equivalent of toilet paper, it's a horrible horrible feeling to be caught out without supply when you need it. Even if you have the money not to mention without.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I fully support this.

The UK are in such a sorry state after a decade of austerity.

Period poverty, food poverty, fuel poverty...

The essential things in life should be available to all. It's entirely possible.

Could be worse, I could have just jumped straight in with questioning poor people getting help.

What are you afraid of? That a few women who could be able to afford to buy themselves tampons might get a couple for nothing? Such a waste of government resources that could be used to fund nuclear missiles or something........

I have no issue with people who need assistance receiving it. Although I appreciate how you would make an assumption like that given the overall weakness of your argument otherwise. Why play the ball when you can take a sly swipe at the man?

I never said I was afraid of anything. Strange you would use that word.

I honestly think that disadvantaged women who need assistance accessing sanitary products is to be applauded, but the notion of freely available products for everyone regardless of their ability to pay (which is what is implied by what is being said) is something worthy of attention.

As for government spending being wasted on this, that depends on how the budget is used, we can probably agree that if it were something introduced in this jurisdiction our government would likely pay way over the odds to obtain said products.

As for nuclear missiles? I'll file that under bizarre along with your Nazi uniforms.

Just because somebody asks questions about an issue like this doesn't mean they are opposed to the idea. Do you accept everything at face value?

Glazers Out!

Machines in toilets in restaurants, schools etc is easy. Making them free in shops will mean shops won’t stock them.

And what product is free? Tesco own brand, or all brands?

The cheapest. It'll likely be put out to some sort of tender. Shops may or may not but be good PR if they did, Pharmacies likely would, and toilets and schools covers a vast area regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I agree with this but

Why can't the mother and father pay for these products for their daughter?

Just like the breakfast clubs etc

If you can't support your own child for the most cheapest basic life expenses how are you fit to be a parent?

I agree with this but

If you can't support your own child for the most cheapest basic life expenses how are you fit to be a parent?

If it's a similar issue in disadvantaged areas over there as it is here, we can probably assume that the money to buy these type of essentials may well be present but ends up being spent on shall we say, non essential items /substances.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I agree with this but

Because some parents are absolutely rubbish. The child shouldn’t suffer for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I agree with this but

Because some people are cnuts. And their boy going hungry or their girl bleeding through her underwear is not going to make them care, you're only punishing the children.

• enricoh wrote: »
    What's the dole in scotland £60 odd iirc, what's it here e203.
    Cut the dole to uk rates and hand out free sanitary stuff - sorted!

18-24 £57.90 max rate
    25+ £73.10 max rate
    18+ Couples get £114.85 between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

No apparently its very easy these days, you just pop it in, no awkward pads or embarrassing moments.

Yeah but, as we know from the ad “you gotta get’m up there, girls!”.

I’d bet the people who opposed that ad, for reasons, are the very same posters who oppose this, for reasons.

Advertisement