Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

There are many many more cases of permanent eye issues due to Covid compared to the vaccine, regardless of age or health ([1], [2], [3], [4], [5], [6], [7], [8]). So what is the point you are trying to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

You don't know that it's "extremely safe" - the long-term effects are completely unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

"The most mystifying response I have seen here is the person comparing the requirement to get it in the same category as the flu jab. "

Please explain how it's different.

Both are infectious diseases, caused by viruses which mutate, that kill many people each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Yes exactly reduces, lets say there is a spike with in a new variant the vaccine might not protect against it. No expert can say for certain that it will or not or if there will be or not. So we would be back to square one. A vaccine won't stop it mutating especially were it is spreading uncontrollably so caution is still and should be the main concern. Opening up too quickly and letting your guard down is asking for trouble, look what happened Christmas gone. Numbers didn't drop since opening for Christmas, there's no data on it either but that would be for another thread. On the other hand it is better to have the vaccine in your system, they are looking at booster shots for it too which may help give it more efficacy, but we are back to waiting it out to see if it will work.

The part you're saying is not true, is actually true having a vaccine in your system does not mean that you should go about your life as if Covid doesn't exist. I didn't say slow it down, I said stop the spread, as in eradicate it completely... And don't say it is not possible to eradicate completely it is, it will just be very difficult to do and will require a world wide effort. Sure enough poorer countries that do not have the resources to throw at it will have to be looked after. The only way things do get back to normal is by deleting the thing.

You don't know that it's "extremely safe" - the long-term effects are completely unknown.

“Researchers have been studying and working with mRNA vaccines for decades. mRNA vaccines have been studied before for flu, Zika, rabies, and cytomegalovirus (CMV)." 

In those decades, there have been no long term side effects for any mRNA vaccine.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/mrna.html

The mRNA contained within a vaccine breaks down relatively quickly because our cells need a way to stop mRNA from making too many proteins. But, even if for some reason our cells didn't break it down, the mRNA stops making the protein within about a week, regardless of your body’s immune response.

It just doesn't make any sense for there to be long-term side effects from an mRNA vaccine and the selfish people in this thread would know that if they bothered to spend 30 seconds researching what an mRNA vaccine is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

10000 cases in the last week, Roughly 200 in hospital 40 odd in ICU so 1 in 50 chance of needing hospital and 1 in 250 chance of ICU, Chance of something going wrong with vaccine are an lot lower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

It’s of no relevance.

people take a flu jab so they don’t get the flu

People wear condoms so they don’t get STIs

The list goes on about what people do to stay healthy, making stupid reference to the flu is pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

We are fortunate in Ireland that we have a relatively well educated and intelligent population (relative to certain other countries).

In general (while there are exceptions, they are statistically small) the higher IQ and higher educated (not necessarily the same thing) folks are opting (and I 100% believe it should optional) to get the vaccine. Which is why we are seeing such high percentages compared to certain other countries, so we are fortunate that it won't really matter if the OP gets the vaccine or not.

Its also very likely the Op will get covid (or even has had covid) and when they do, they will "probably" be ok and they will also contribute to the herd immunity.

So for Ireland and our population makeup I think having a choice to get the vaccine isn't an issue, personally I wouldn't boast about it (but some folks do it just to annoy the lefties which is a different issue altogether!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I'm missing completely that "lefties" idea in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

The only way I can put it is this- I didn't really want it tbh, I'd have held off on it as I'm healthy and it does feel a bit rushed through. But I've had yellow fever, hep A, hep B, polio, tetanus in the last 5 years. And the flu jab twice and been ok.

In the end I travel for work, so I had no choice but to get it if I want to continue work. Waiting on the 2nd jab soon .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 JEC

I'll make sure to tell my friend and family that. I am sure they will find it reassuring.

In my opinion, psychologically there is a huge difference between suffering effects of an illness contracted naturally and suffering effects from a vaccine you chose to take which you were assured was safe.

There are over 32,000 cases of eye disorder adverse reactions reported on the EU Eudravigilance database.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Another thread full of misinformation.

At this point if you are posting stuff that is wrong, you are either incapable of understanding it, or doing it deliberately.

They should find it reassuring if they are in any way intelligent. If I was unlucky to be one of the very few to suffer serious adverse effects from the vaccine, I would continue to encourage as many people as possible to take it as I would be fully aware that I am the statistical outlier.

There are over 32,000 cases of eye disorder adverse reactions reported on the EU Eudravigilance database.

Yes, having blurred vision for weeks is a very common side effect of any vaccine. What percentage of those are permanent eye damage?

10,890 are classified as 'Not recovered/Not resolved'.

So 33% are unresolved. Lets hope they are not permanent.

Eh, that's not quite what the means. but let's go with it if it pleases you.

1) Based on that number, what percentage of people with vaccinations therefore have permanent eye damage?

2) Based on my links, what percentage of people who get Covid have permanent eye damage?

3) The answers to 1) and 2) tell you that you are much less likely to get permanent eye damage if you are vaccinated. Therefore, what is the point you are trying to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Not all viruses are equal, it is inexplicable that after 18 months of a pandemic, someone cannot distinguish between the common flu and Covid 19.

The point I am trying to make is that people are entitled to make their own choices and decisions regarding vaccination.

You state that people suffering serious adverse reactions are statistical outliers, true, however people who die from COVID are also statistical outliers and this statistic is constantly being used to instill fear in the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

By taking the vaccine you reduce transmission of covid.

your doing the right thing for society.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You don’t think the death rate should be of concern?

• Advertisement

Yes, and I do not disagree with you. People should be entitled to make their own choices.

However, if you're basing your choice on what adverse effects you may get, you should choose the vaccine, as you are much less likely to have adverse effects from the vaccine than the virus no matter what age group you are in nor how healthy you are, is that not right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Anyone that doesn't take the vaccine is a f###ing moron

Every one of these pathetic losers is slowing down the return to normality.

Shame there isn't a vaccine for stupidity, although these knuckle draggers probably wouldn't take that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Both may be infectious diseases, but that's were the similarities stop (One is caused by a Novel coronavirus, the other by several strains of influenza)

I could take you through the vast differences in virility, reproductive number, and the long term complications of Covid, but I fear I might lose you.

Instead I'll present the death toll. Covid 19 killed 5 times as many people worldwide in 2020 as the flu did 2019.

That's 3mill vs 600k.

Stop making ignorant statements of comparison.

It does concern me and any death is a loss to the family involved. My own father- in-law is one if the 5000 deaths.

Serious adverse effects also concern me, do they concern you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The spike protein has remained stable and allowed all vaccines to be effective against all the variants. It is likely that if the spike protein mutated to evade the vaccines that the virus itself would lose it's effectiveness (and essentially be a completely different virus). Virologists and vaccine companies are not overly worried about this even if some media people and lesser experts are.

When we have everyone vaccinated, life will return to normal, witness the massive crowds in the UK this weekend. You're also missing the fact that no vaccines eliminate spread, they all reduce it (a vaccine does nothing to a virus picked up on handle and passed to someone else via touch, it also does nothing if it's sitting in your nose ready to be sprayed to the next person but not invoking an immune response on the person carrying the virus), the COVID vaccines are highly effective at reducing transmission of a very infectious disease. At Christmas we didn't have vaccines, now we do, take one, encourage others to get it.

Poorer countries probably won't eradicate it down to vaccine hesitancy (like the touched individual that started this thread) however it will spread and kill a lot in those countries and hopefully the vaccination rate is high enough to prevent mass casualties as the virus becomes endemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

It's the opposite to your interpretation, in a very large survey (5 million responses) of the US. Higher education (PhD), from which we can infer higher IQ, is correlated with more hesitancy to get vaccinated. Middling education corelated with average IQ (bachelors, masters etc) are least hesitant to get vaccinated.

Time trends and factors related to COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy from January-May 2021 among US adults: Findings from a large-scale national survey | medRxiv

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That database specifically says not to infer that the effects listed are side effects to the vaccine to stop the likes of yourself pretending that they are.

Did you not read the big bold letters in capitals before reading the data? If you're using the VAERS system as evidence there is no kind way to say that you are not a clever person.

• Advertisement

Stoop to the personal insults when you can't win your agruement, typical.

I am well aware that the database is not confirming a direct link to the vaccine. I am also aware that the doctors involved in my friend's care are unlikely to have reported her vision loss if they could have determined any other cause. I'm sure any medical professional reporting ny adverse event does not do do lightly.

All reported adverse events will require additional investigation just like the EMA have commenced with possible links between vaccination and Erythema multiforme and nephrotic syndrome.

Advertisement