Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Same with the masks really. Although at least I will acknowledge once you buy into the masks thing you will buy into that we-protect-each-other-through-masks mantra and at least it kinda makes sense that way. But with the vaccines it really doesnt. Someone who doesn't get vaccinated doesnt endanger anyone else. Or only if you're prepared for some serious mental and statistical gymnastics.

Apart from others who refuse of course, but maybe they deserve it.

Another point is that in a world of stressed health systems refusenicks who fall badly ill taking up ICU beds is very selfish when it's easily avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

Another point is that in a world of stressed health systems refusenicks who fall badly ill taking up ICU beds is very selfish when it's easily avoided.

Would you agree that people who drink alcohol and eat animal / processed foods who end up in hospital for cancer or heart problems are also very selfish when it could be easily avoided?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Would you agree that people who drink alcohol and eat animal / processed foods who end up in hospital for cancer or heart problems are also very selfish when it could be easily avoided?

You'd have a hard time separating wheat from chaff to say with certainty that a particular aspect of someones lifestyle landed them in hospital but with Covid or other viral infections which can be inoculated against it's very clear cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

titan18 wrote: »
    Think of the wide range of existing drugs out there that people take. Has the vaccine been tested for any adverse interactions with those drugs? Why take a chance when you can wait, and likely will have to wait when more at risk people get vaccinated.

I'm not anti vax at all, I've taken flu vaccines this year and previous years, but I'm still not rushing into taking this one. Give it a few months and when everything is fine, grand.

If you are on medication then you should check with your GP to see if he/she thinks it is safe to take the vaccine

Lots of people do not take vaccines due to medical advice that they are in a higher risk group due to drug interactions. Which is more the reason why healthy people should volunteer to take the vaccine to boost herd immunity and protect those amongst us who are not able to safely vaccinate themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

You'd have a hard time separating wheat from chaff to say with certainty that a particular aspect of someones lifestyle landed them in hospital but with Covid or other viral infections which can be inoculated against it's very clear cut.

You'd have a hard time separating wheat from chaff to say with certainty that a particular aspect of someone's lifestyle landed them in hospital, as with covid.

Should a person who didn't take the flu vaccine also be discriminated against when needing treatment? Should a person that gets so drunk that they fall and hit their head be discriminated against when they chose to get drunk?

I just think it's barking up the wrong tree in terms of trying to argue for taking the vaccine to try to carve covid out from other selfish decisions people make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Same with the masks really. Although at least I will acknowledge once you buy into the masks thing you will buy into that we-protect-each-other-through-masks mantra and at least it kinda makes sense that way.

What is the side effect of wearing a mask?
    But with the vaccines it really doesnt. Someone who doesn't get vaccinated doesnt endanger anyone else. Or only if you're prepared for some serious mental and statistical gymnastics.

Yes, you do endanger others. There are people in high risk groups that cannot be vaccinated. By vaccinating all others you make sure that there isn't enough viable hosts to endanger those that cannot take a vaccine. If you refuse to get vaccinated, you are enabling the virus to reach those vulnerable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

This is infinitesimal compared to those who take up beds due to smoking, drinking heavily and all sorts of other unhealthy activities, by choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Do you really think that doctors don't know when they are dealing with someone ill from smoking what the cause is? Or heavy drinking? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Akrasia wrote: »
    There is a gamble either way. If you don't take the vaccine, you have a much higher chance of gettin the virus yourself and suffering some of the debilitating effects of having the virus, or passing it to someone you care about who may be badly affected.

If there is a .1% chance that unvaccinated, you get the virus and get suffer long term consequences, and there is a 0.001% chance that you suffer similar consequences from an adverse reaction to the vaccine, then it is rational to take the vaccine

As I said before, with a mass rollout of this vaccine, even if only 1 in a million people suffer severe adverse reactions, this is 8 thousand people world wide, or enough people for conspiracy theorists and anti vaccers to point at as proof that the vaccine is not safe

Meanwhile, the vaccine is saving hundreds of thousands of people from dying, and millions more from suffering serious illness with long term consequences for their health, not to mention the huge economic consequences

The 'Wait and see' approach is unscientific and cowardly. The vaccines have gone through safety trials, and they have been deemed as safe
    You are wrong, there is not a gamble either way, that depends on peoples individual circumstances. I have practically zero risk of getting the virus if I don't put myself in situations where I may be exposed.

We don't know the long term safety rate of the vaccines... We don't know if it's 1:1, 1:100, 1:1000, 1:1000000 or 0 - so your risk analysis is inherently wrong.

We don't even know if the vaccines are less-worse than the coronavirus yet.

Your approach is unscientific. You are making stuff up, when the only scientific answer about long term rates of harm is "we don't know yet".

The actual scientists have to wait up to and beyond a decade to verify the safety of their vaccines...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

ELM327 wrote: »
    Nonsense.
    Private organization can refuse entry to anyone it pleases, as long as it's not one of the 7 reasons

How will these private organisations know people were vaccinated?

Will the health services be handing out badges or go for a more high tech approach such as rfid?

They could scan the back of your head as you walk into Penneys for new underpants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

The flu vaccine yet the uptake by medical professionals is very low.
    This occurred to me too. I have no problem with vaccines in general, but I don't know enough to judge this one.

I'll watch with interest the takeup among Irish health professionals, who will be way ahead of me in the queue anyway. I trust their insight on this more than my own. If their takeup is close to 100% (and hopefully so), I'll have no problem taking it straight away. If not, I'd be more hesitant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

These people could potentially overwhelm the health service.
    Currently there's a hospital in Derry where COVID-19 patients out number non-COVID patients on their ICU ward and that's with restrictions.
    Now imagine a world where they're are little to no restrictions.
    Because that's what's going to happen once people start getting vaccinated.
    You can expect rule adherence levels to drop off a cliff.
    They'll be no political will to keep them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

grogi wrote: »
    What is the side effect of wearing a mask?

Me losing slowly my sanity over the ludicrousness of it all.

Yes, you do endanger others. There are people in high risk groups that cannot be vaccinated. By vaccinating all others you make sure that there isn't enough viable hosts to endanger those that cannot take a vaccine. If you refuse to get vaccinated, you are enabling the virus to reach those vulnerable.

Re: serious mental and statistical gymnastic.

Also "I" don't. Was just throwing it out there. Never said I wouldnt take it. Should have read the whole post.

How will these private organisations know people were vaccinated?

Will the health services be handing out badges or go for a more high tech approach such as rfid?

They could scan the back of your head as you walk into Penneys for new underpants

You clearly haven't been vaccinated recently. You receive a cert with h vaccine batch number, expiration date etc. You can also have so called immunization passport

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

:rolleyes:

Dripping in self-righteousness. By all means take it, but don't be so smug, dramatic and hyperbolic.

Mod:

Threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Not a hope I'd take this.

Maybe in 10 years time when we actually know how it affects the body but by then covid might be a thing of the past so still no.

No.

You clearly haven't been vaccinated recently. You receive a cert with h vaccine batch number, expiration date etc. You can also have so called immunization passport

An will you be bringing around your cert to tesco and the pub to be checked on the way in.

An will you be bringing around your cert to tesco and the pub to be checked on the way in.

Il.hazard a guess,they'll attach it to the covid tracker app (or similar?) and just make it scan for entry etc

Though realistically,once it gets above a certain % of population vaccinated its ability to spread should drop quite quickly (in theory anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

Il.hazard a guess,they'll attach it to the covid tracker app (or similar?) and just make it scan for entry etc

No, it'll be the same as always - people will be free to do whatever they want. Look at the "restrictions" we've had up to now. Being "asked" to isolate at level 5. Gardaí "urging" people at checkpoints to turn back. Talk now about fines for noncompliance, but of course even if it comes into force before the vaccine it won't be enforced.

Shops have been reluctant to enforce masks on their premeses, do you really think they'll be demanding medical history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Fodla

Though realistically,once it gets above a certain % of population vaccinated its ability to spread should drop quite quickly (in theory anyway)

Health Passport Ireland is currently running a trial. They have a video on YouTube. They envisage it being used for absolutely everything (going to a restaurant, to the shop, to school, to a concert, a football match, to travel, to the hospital). It's not a conspiracy theory. They recently finished a trial in a small town in Roscommon, so I imagine the vaccine will be linked to the health passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

not happy about taking it, but I want to see my Ma and Da without the fear of killing them.

So yes.

not happy about taking it, but I want to see my Ma and Da without the fear of killing them.

So yes.

I presume you get the annual flu vaccine too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Which groups or who have been confirmed as unable to take it?

Out of interest...(before I get attacked)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

So yes.

Will your Ma and Da be getting it also?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭beachhead

Yes in 2022,if still free.Don't have e100 or 200 plus doctor's hello money

Yes, would take any of those three today. 41, no underlying health conditions. Will be waiting for a while. Healthcare workers should get option of it1st before anyone else, after that morally its difficult. Can you buy it privately? Me thinks no.

If that's what will let you in, why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Fodla wrote: »
    Health Passport Ireland is currently running a trial. They have a video on YouTube. They envisage it being used for absolutely everything (going to a restaurant, to the shop, to school, to a concert, a football match, to travel, to the hospital). It's not a conspiracy theory. They recently finished a trial in a small town in Roscommon, so I imagine the vaccine will be linked to the health passport.
    Health passport Ireland is a private company with neither a statutory or legal basis to hold information on vaccination of people.
    The trial you refer to was Covid testing of residents in Lecarrow village every Saturday for several weeks. They found several asymptomatic people during the testing. Plus people choose whether to get tested or not.

If that's what will let you in, why not?

While waiting for their vaccination how will people go shopping?

• Advertisement

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Which groups or who have been confirmed as unable to take it?

Out of interest...(before I get attacked)

It's a more generic statement, not related directly to any of the COVID vaccines.

Advertisement