Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What item would you horde if the supermarkets were closing?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Item singular?

As I have everything else I
    think I would buy water purification tablets.

Or, iphone cable rechargers. They break easily and it will be a long forever with analogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

An extract from the single best article I've ever read on this topic. Written by a survivor of the '92-'95 Bosnian war.
    If you plan to live by theft – all you need is weapons and ammo. Lots of ammo. If not – more food, hygiene items, batteries, accumulators, little trading items (knives, lighters, flints, soap). Also alcohol of a type that keeps well. The cheapest whiskey is a good trading item.

Many people died from insufficient hygiene. You’ll need simple items in great amounts. For example, garbage bags. Lots of them. And toilet papers. Non­reusable dishes and cups – you’ll need lots of them. I know that because we didn’t have any at all.

As for me, a supply of hygiene items is perhaps more important than food. You can shoot a pigeon, you can find a plant to eat. You can’t find or shoot any disinfectant. Disinfectant, detergents, bleach, soap, gloves, masks…

You should choose the simplest weapons. I carry a Glock .45, I like it, but it’s a rare gun here– so I have two TT pistols too (everyone has them and ammo is common). I don’t like Kalashnikovs, but again, same story – everyone has them, so do I.

You must own small, unnoticeable items. For example: a generator is good, but 1000 Bic lighters are better. A generator will attract attention if there’s any trouble, but 1000 lighters are compact, cheap, and can always be traded. We usually collected rainwater into 4 large barrels and then boiled it. There was a small river but the water in it became very dirty very fast. It’s also important to have containers for water – barrels and buckets.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I would hoard meat, lots of types, and eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Short term: the usual I guess, toilet paper, non-perishable food and personal hygiene items. Other essential items like lightbulbs and bin bags, paracetamol, some extra petrol for the car and the like.

Long term: regretfully I think guns would be necessary in a SHTF, Mad Max scenario, along with plenty of ammo and the knowledge in how to use and maintain them. For self-defence only, I would hate to think I would be an aggressor, no matter how desperate I became. Also, in a genuine life-threatening scenario, would I actually have the ba!!s to shoot another person with the intention to kill? I hope I never have to find out.

Apart from that, I think literally anything will become an essential commodity if there was some sort of world-wide catastrophe where society collapsed, so anything you could put your hands on could be traded for something else. Food, alcohol, clothing, medicine, weapons, tools, etc.

Advertisement