Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloody Sunday 100 years later

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭boetstark

Should have taken the Sicilian route and taken out the families too just to make sure.

Thats absolutely shocking comment. You are either a child or an adult that has serious mental issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

The commemoration is about the 14 men, women and children murdered by the uniformed agents of an occupying power.
    I'm not familiar with any state that commemorates the deaths of their oppressors.

Regrettably we do. EG the Glasnevin Wall of Shame.

What a strange country Ireland is. Would anybody in the US worry about the killings of British spies on the same day that the British army engaged in an atrocity during the War of Independence? Insane.

And apparently this is believed by the supporters of the largest party in the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Thread derailed after about ten posts

Strong work

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

lawred2 wrote: »
    Thread derailed after about ten posts

Strong work

I thought I had it in one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just mentioned that myself on the GAA thread. As one who goes regularly to matches with my wife and grandchild it's so sad that what started out as an ordinary sporting Sunday for families ended in terror.

Three acts on that day apparently........

ACT ONE 9am
    Michael Collins murder squad made themselves busy in the early hours of the 21st November knocking on doors and shooting 12 people dead (3 civilians) + 9 local policemen & army officers in front of their wives while still in their pyjamas.

ACT TWO 3-4pm
    Croke Park, Police, Army, Auxiliaries & the Black & Tans surround Croke Park after a tip off with the orders to search out the weapons used earlier that day in the bloody murders of twelve people. The Black & Tans then shot dead fourteen people.

ACT THREE
    Three IRA men who were subsequently captured were then shot after trying to escape from Dublin castle...

Quite a bloody 24 hours that's for sure, and then with 17 auxiliaries ambushed & killed in Cork a few weeks later ... and so it continued, tit for tat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

How many atrocities did the British commit on this island ? We had the other Bloody Sunday when the British army shot 14 people dead at a march in Derry in 1972 , throw in British soldiers helping loyalist gangs helping kill Catholics in the 80s and 90s not to mention Cromwell and the famine .

Yet still you have people like Charlie Flanagan , John Bruton and other Fine Gael people who won’t hear a word said against the British and even wanted to have a march for the Black and Tans .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

Do these melodramatic presentations drudging up bad memories really help unity on our island?

It's kinda weird the British

They commemorate their fallen but prefer to forget the horrible things they did

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It's kinda weird the British

They commemorate their fallen but prefer to forget the horrible things they did

Isn't that what the majority of countries do in fairness? Gloss over the bad stuff?

Anyways it always was my favourite part of Irish history in school, the formative years of the Republic and how Sinn Fein's split eventually caused Fianna Fail and later Fine Gael to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Murderers and Liars across the decades.

533724.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Three IRA men who were subsequently captured were then shot after trying to escape from Dublin castle...

Repeating British/Unionist lies?

The official British report stated they were shot while trying to escape; in truth, they were tortured and murdered in reprisal for what had happened earlier that day.

Diarmaid Ferriter.

IRA volunteers preemptively kill British spies and assassins sent to kill them, then the civilian population are massacred in revenge, that is known as collective punishment and is a war crime.

Good work OP.

See ya next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Repeating British/Unionist lies?

The official British report stated they were shot while trying to escape; in truth, they were tortured and murdered in reprisal for what had happened earlier that day.

Diarmaid Ferriter.

I only mentioned the fact that they were shot to highlight that those who shot them were in the wrong!

There is no repeating of British/Unionist lies in what I said. They may well have been tortured too, I never said they weren't. I just said they were shot by those who who held them captive, apparently while trying to escape..

A negative post in relation to those who held them captive, not a Pro British-Unionist aligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Was listening to Kevin Myers talk about it earlier in the week.

He is even more hostile to historical accuracy than he is to Jews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Three acts on that day apparently........

ACT ONE 9am
    Michael Collins murder squad made themselves busy in the early hours of the 21st November knocking on doors and shooting 12 people dead (3 civilians) + 9 local policemen & army officers in front of their wives while still in their pyjamas.

ACT TWO 3-4pm
    Croke Park, Police, Army, Auxiliaries & the Black & Tans surround Croke Park after a tip off with the orders to search out the weapons used earlier that day in the bloody murders of twelve people. The Black & Tans then shot dead fourteen people.

ACT THREE

Quite a bloody 24 hours that's for sure, and then with 17 auxiliaries ambushed & killed in Cork a few weeks later ... and so it continued, tit for tat.

The Black and Tans shot 3 people under the age of 15 ie children.
    Btw Act 3 two were IRA one was an innocent civilian.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭patob

Danzy wrote: »
    Was listening to Kevin Myers talk about it earlier in the week.

He is even more hostile to historical accuracy than he is to Jews.
    I heard Myers alright. I think he was reasonably accurate but not surprisingly was selective in his analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

Necro wrote: »
    Isn't that what the majority of countries do in fairness? Gloss over the bad stuff?

Anyways it always was my favourite part of Irish history in school, the formative years of the Republic and how Sinn Fein's split eventually caused Fianna Fail and later Fine Gael to form.

I grew learning the English history

1066 and Norman the quonqeror , tower of London , all that sh1te

Price of being a plastic paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭jmcc

Careful.

Michael Collins was a FG blueshirt.
    No. Michael Collins was only ever a member of Sinn Fein. FG and the Blueshirts weren't even formed until decades after he was dead. There are some in FG who wanted to commemorate the Black and Tans/Auxillaries (members of the RIC). The only terrorists that day were the Black and Tans, the Auxillaries, the RIC and the British Army.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭jmcc

patob wrote: »
    I heard Myers alright. I think he was reasonably accurate but not surprisingly was selective in his analysis.
    Myers' problem seems to be that he is not quite English enough for the English and not quite Irish enough for the Irish. We have to remember the past but not be prisoners of the past.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 81,667 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It was interesting to see not a single UK media outlet covered this event today. The UK poplulation have been ethnically clensed of the crimes of their country around the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

.anon. wrote: »
    Why are people so desperate to shoehorn the word 'woke' into every single thread?

Because it's one of those phrases which is a rallying cry for their band of merry men to come along and get as outraged as they are over something which doesn't affect them any more than it does the lad who used it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Its nationalist propaganda which is rife within the GAA, did they lay a wreath for the British officials who were murdered in front of their families that morning?

Ah God love the british officials who got shot , poor souls only over here trying to help the dumb paddies to be civilised and show them how great life is to under british occupation...clown .

I only mentioned the fact that they were shot to highlight that those who shot them were in the wrong!

There is no repeating of British/Unionist lies in what I said. They may well have been tortured too, I never said they weren't. I just said they were shot by those who who held them captive, apparently while trying to escape..

A negative post in relation to those who held them captive, not a Pro British-Unionist aligation.

They werent shot escaping....the bulletwounds,were front entry?

Some were bayoneted aswel....one of those tortured to dead (conor clune) was completly innocent and just in wrong place at wrong time,when brits come raiding

Felt it was a lovely tribute by the GAA,pity they couldnt be anyone attend it though

The GAA remains the only sporting organisation in the world,which people are murdered for simply being members or attending its games

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It was interesting to see not a single UK media outlet covered this event today. The UK poplulation have been ethnically clensed of the crimes of their country around the world.

If it annoyed that BBC didn’t cover it.... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54908852

Then you’ll dislike how The Times didn’t cover it... https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/stories-of-bloody-sunday-victims-forgotten-100-years-on-blfn52j7s

And you’ll hate how the independent didn’t cover it,.. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/bloody-sunday-gaelic-football-croke-park-b1759014.html%3Famp

• Registered Users Posts: 54,973 ✭✭✭✭walshb

They werent shot escaping....the bulletwounds,were front entry?

Some were bayoneted aswel....one of those tortured to dead (conor clune) was completly innocent and just in wrong place at wrong time,when brits come raiding

Wrong place at wrong time..

Fooking hate this description being used in these instances where innocent people are murdered.

Have to say, some of the social media posts I have been reading are irritating.

RIP to all those dead...

FFS, it happened a hundred years ago. Not yesterday..

Or, condolences to the families who lost loved ones...

Indo yesterday did a great pullout magazine. Some good reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

boetstark wrote: »
    Oh yeah he deserved it because he was a landlord of a boarding house , or maybe a British army vet or maybe even a young lad that hadn't even joined the RIC.
    Get your facts you ignorant fool.

There's only one ignorant fool around here and it ain't me son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Felt it was a lovely tribute by the GAA,pity they couldnt be anyone attend it though

The GAA remains the only sporting organisation in the world,which people are murdered for simply being members or attending its games

In one way I feel the lack of attendees helped though. It prevented that disgusting SF element that always trys to own any event in the tragic struggle against tge british.

Advertisement