Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloody Sunday 100 years later

Options
  • 21-11-2020 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Powerful commemoration by Brendan Glesson in Croke Park this evening 100 years after the Black and Tans shot dead 14 people including players and children at a Gaelic football match in Croke Park . Presently on RTÉ 2 .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Is this the video Stephen Kenny showed before the England match?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just mentioned that myself on the GAA thread. As one who goes regularly to matches with my wife and grandchild it's so sad that what started out as an ordinary sporting Sunday for families ended in terror.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bj40zlj78njf3xmr1a2dsyq2exyo3pcofyecvgtgg&rid=giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Hard to believe Charlie Flanagan and others in Fine Gael wanted to commentate the RIC and Black and Tans earlier this year .

Let the woke self loathing begin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

PsychoPete wrote: »
    giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bj40zlj78njf3xmr1a2dsyq2exyo3pcofyecvgtgg&rid=giphy.gif

Yet you took the effort to show how you don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I tuned in just before the wreath laying and I can say I have never been so moved in a long time by a commemoration.
    A lump in my throat after that piece of music and video and the simple setting at Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Do these melodramatic presentations drudging up bad memories really help unity on our island?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Wasn't the dublin goalie on the day involved in the killings that morning iirc, great men of the time, pity what the cowardly British did in retaliation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Let the woke self loathing begin.

Why are people so desperate to shoehorn the word 'woke' into every single thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Do these melodramatic presentations drudging up bad memories really help unity on our island?

Well it's 100 years since the event in which some people went to a football match and never came home which was and still is simply not acceptable.

It's also important not to forget.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭RonaVirus

Good to see the organizers don't have West Brits in their ranks. They usually try to qualify what happened at Croke Park by mentioning the justified military actions earlier that day.

.anon. wrote: »
    Why are people so desperate to shoehorn the word 'woke' into every single thread?

Because that’s what they think they are. Look at the rubbish posted a few up about melodrama.

Because that’s what they think they are. Look at the rubbish posted a few up about melodrama.

Learn a new word, ffs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭RonaVirus

Learn a new word, ffs.

It is what it is. Can't just make up a new word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

You're not making any sense, could you please form a coherent argument Reginald? It's like you just woke up.

Learn a new word, ffs.

Poor diddums, it’s just a word. I’m talking about a stinking attitude that all too many people have and you have a word annoying you.

Woke rubbish is exactly what it is. Call it something else if it keeps your blood pressure down but you’ll be wrong.

You're not making any sense, could you please form a coherent argument Reginald? It's like you just woke up.

A few posts up. But some ability of thought would have worked out that much.

Poor effort.

A few posts up. But some ability of thought would have worked out that much.

Poor effort.

I'd say the same about yours, can you expand on your line of thinking, without resorting to empty cliches? Might make the thread more interesting.

I'd say the same ab

Same ab?

• Advertisement

Same ab?

I've edited my post, it posted too early , if you could perhaps look again.

bloody talking nonsense to each other

Jesus, can someone at least post the Alan Partridge clip?

Well it's 100 years since the event in which some people went to a football match and never came home which was and still is simply not acceptable.

It's also important not to forget.

Its nationalist propaganda which is rife within the GAA, did they lay a wreath for the British officials who were murdered in front of their families that morning?

Poor diddums, it’s just a word. I’m talking about a stinking attitude that all too many people have and you have a word annoying you.

Woke rubbish is exactly what it is. Call it something else if it keeps your blood pressure down but you’ll be wrong.

The attitude to which you refer (willful historical ignorance and shoneenism) isn't 'woke'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its nationalist propaganda which is rife within the GAA, did they lay a wreath for the British officials who were murdered in front of their families that morning?

Fook them they deserved it.

Do you understand what nationalist propaganda is? Pure nonsense.

The British didn’t even bother laying a wreath for those filthy swines so I don’t see why we should do it for them. They were the enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Very powerful piece that Brendan Gleason did. It kind of seemed fitting it was in an empty stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Advertisement