Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland’s mink population to be culled for being perfectly healthy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

No they dont. Killin an entire chicken coop, eating heads and neck off some and legging it isn't a animal that stores food

Exactly. Mink will kill all round them when they get a chance. Put one of them in a hen house (I won't call it a chicken coop!) with 50 hens, and they'll kill all 50 of them. And they won't be dragging 49 of them away to put in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They're being bred in tiny cages to be gassed to death. They're better off dead and hopefully they never farm them in Ireland again. It's shameful.

Was shocked it was still a thing. Even more shocked at the amount of them in Denmark

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

froog wrote: »
    Mink to human transmission of a mutant strain that is more resistant to antibodies has been proven. It's an extremely dangerous situation.

That was the issue with cluster 5 only which was 12 cases. No cases registered since September and Denmark now view it as not an issue as its not detected since.

The other clusters of mutation have been viewed as not being an issue for vaccines.

Not getting into the whole thing around minks but Denmark took out a sledgehammer to the issue without the full facts.

Lots of commentary online from members of the scientific community surrounding mink and vaccine. Doesn't appear to be the issue it was a few weeks ago upon further research. Danish agriculture minister has resigned

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭3d4life

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Was shocked it was still a thing. Even more shocked at the amount of them in Denmark

It was a big thing here in the 70's.

So no surprise its still a big thing in Denmark :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Very true. They're bred just to be killed, and there was an announcement some time back that all fur farming (i.e. mink farming) in Ireland is to be phased out over the coming years anyway. This just hastens the process.

Mink are absolute b**tards of animals. They kill just for the sake of it and even cats and smaller dogs aren't safe. I remember the damage done by some of them after they escaped from a place near where I grew up, back when mink farming first became "a thing" around late 1970s/early 1980s.

Not too many will be sorry to see the back of them.

So is the pig that the rashers you chomped on for breakfast come off.

Will be a tall order for vets to procure the lethal drugs needed

• Advertisement

3d4life wrote: »
    It was a big thing here in the 70's.

So no surprise its still a big thing in Denmark :(

I didn't realize people still wore mink things. I assume we don't eat them but who knows with a Tesco burger

I didn't realize people still wore mink things. I assume we don't eat them but who knows with a Tesco burger

I’m only guessing the corpses go into Dog food

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’m only guessing the corpses go into Dog food

They keep the mink bit quiet in those chicken & beef dog foods

So is the pig that the rashers you chomped on for breakfast come off.

I know. I'm from a farming background myself and am well used to the idea of certain animals being bred and reared for nothing other than being sent for slaughter. Not sure what your point is here.
    Will be a tall order for vets to procure the lethal drugs needed

I believe mink are usually gassed with carbon monoxide, so it wouldn't be a case of suddenly needing a massive number of lethal injections. I don't know much about the mechanics of these things, but I presume the same amount of gas would be as equally effective on large numbers of mink in a small space as it would be on a smaller number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭con___manx1

mink are an invasive species in Ireland. an animals wrights group released them from a fur farm years ago and now they can be found all over the country. they kill our native birds and fish.
    well done to those idiots who released them.

• Advertisement

mink are an invasive species in Ireland. an animals wrights group released them from a fur farm years ago and now they can be found all over the country. they kill our native birds and fish.
    well done to those idiots who released them.

Damn imminkants

They keep the mink bit quiet in those chicken & beef dog foods

When it says the meat includes 20% meat including 10% beef what’s the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

When it says the meat includes 20% meat including 10% beef what’s the rest?

I was always thinking it is human bodies whose were not claimed by their natives from morgue :pac:

I know. I'm from a farming background myself and am well used to the idea of certain animals being bred and reared for nothing other than being sent for slaughter. Not sure what your point is here.

Do you feel any remorse when they go off in a truck oblivious to the fact they will soon meet their maker?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I find the mink thing very interesting
    Many reasons, mostly because china is one of the world's largest exporters of mink fur and mink is also used as a food source there.
    Secondly China is also one of the largest exporters of live mink for breeding purposes.
    Next to mink casts are the most inflected animal a notable number of cats that were infected were found on mink farms.
    My opinion only I reckon were looking at the mink as the crossover animal between bats and humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

and the cats are getting a free pass because?

I would guess its because they haven't been observed to host new mutations or transmit to humans. It would be much more politically challenging to propose culling cats also. I'm no expert on anything related to this though

I've heard that deer mice can also be hosts to SARS-CoV-2. I'd say a lot of animals are potential reservoirs for the virus but it might not be really feasible or have much of an impact to do anything about it. Maybe with mink the risk is high but its also feasible to reduce that risk

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Who the fcuk wears mink coats these days anyway? How is there demand for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Why the fcuk not to wear mink coat if you have one? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

DaSilva wrote: »
    I would guess its because they haven't been observed to host new mutations or transmit to humans. It would be much more politically challenging to propose culling cats also. I'm no expert on anything related to this though

I've heard that deer mice can also be hosts to SARS-CoV-2. I'd say a lot of animals are potential reservoirs for the virus but it might not be really feasible or have much of an impact to do anything about it. Maybe with mink the risk is high but its also feasible to reduce that risk

Most online stuff about cats/ felines is they don't seem to shed the virus very much,and in all cases they cought the virus from human transmission or minks

It's not just coats. Mink fur is used in beauty products like make up brushes and fake eyelashes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Hardyn wrote: »
    It's not just coats. Mink fur is used in beauty products like make up brushes and fake eyelashes.

Ah jaysuz.

Same nobs who think they need a land rover to drive round D4 and similar areas

ZX7R wrote: »
    Most online stuff about cats/ felines is they don't seem to shed the virus very much,and in all cases they cought the virus from human transmission or minks

All the cats nd dogs dying due to a virus is how Planet of the Apes started so we need to be careful.
    ( The real PotA not the stupid new one)

Do you feel any remorse when they go off in a truck oblivious to the fact they will soon meet their maker?

Are you a vegan or an "animal lover" on a crusade?

Anyway, to answer your question - no, of course not.

I like a good steak, a good burger, a nice bit of roast beef, and bolognese and other stuff made from minced beef too. I like pig meat in all its forms. Not a huge lover of lamb myself, but I know a huge number of people like it too. So else are we going to get all these tasty foods?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

No they dont. Killin an entire chicken coop, eating heads and neck off some and legging it isn't a animal that stores food

Maybe it planned to come back later and get some more, you can't know tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The farming of animals for fur needs to end

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

The mink in live in a constant state of agitation, unable to escape and express their evolutionary desires. Pure misery.
    There is no such thing as cruelty-free mink eyelashes that are plucked from their faces.
    They should be all gassed for a final time and be done with it. A disgraceful trade.

Hate to break it to you but they're all going to die anyway

Lots of people on here get very uncomfortable when the same thing is highlighted about an 88 year old in extremely poor health.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The fact we farm mink is disgraceful.

Whats the difference between farming a mink and any other animal?
    They're all caged up drugged up and generally speaking treated diabolically until killed at its most profitable point. They're all the same, mink, pigs, cows chicken you name it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

I would truly like to hear one, - any - but even one person try defend the human race when the aliens decide to exterminate us.

We are the harbingers of death, the exterminators of species. Since we deem it fit to carry out genocide on animals, what moral argument can be made against aliens who deem us too dangerous to exist and decide to take us out?

Spoiler alert for the ultimate mysteries of existence: We are not the good guys. Whoever/whatever is or isn't out there, collectively, we are not the good guys.

Advertisement