Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Yea, which is extra annoying as it was a big focus of the PS3 and the main reason that I played all of my multiplatform games there. Seems like everything nowadays is pretty much just stereo aside from the odd effect. In fact in most cases you would get better surround by upmixing a stereo signal over all the speakers.

Can confirm Dead Space's surround mix is great, but Callisto Protocol's might be even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Have to say Microsoft knocked it out of the park with their Xbox showcase. One after another with new game announcements, things to look forward to in 2024 and solid stuff to finish off the year. It had the hype and excitement that I expect from a game show that reminded me of E3 in the past.

Outside of Alan Wake and Spiderman 2 I think I have more stuff on PC to look forward to over the next 12 months so hopefully Sony have something in the works for the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭MikeRyan87

Yeah was their best in years.

Hopefully Starfield turns out great. Not fully convinced with combat/movement/story/framerate but looking forward to it.

Lots of other potential in the showcase too. Just hope the games end up good. Good keeping Halo and Gears out of it too to focus on new ip.

Ubisoft Forward was surprisingly pretty good too. Will probably get Outlaws Day 1 reviews depending and Avatar when half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Kevrano

Played the demo, the most engaging FF since VII, will definitely get the full game at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Kevrano

The frame rate thing (locked at 30fps) sounds bizarre for a current generation console.

• Advertisement

I suggest everyone opening their ps5s for a clean/hoover before playing FFXVI.

Try to do mine a few times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Yeah, I've heard PS5s are overheating during boss battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭nullObjects

I wonder if this will get fixed in the day one patch but I'll hold off until I spot a fix for that at least before playing I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭jj880

Been doing mine regularly with the 2 dust catcher holes as per the Sony PS5 teardown video. Are these useless?

I haven't looked at mine but generally dust filters still let some dust in just not as much. The area around the filters gets dirty rather than the fans/heatsinks in the unit. Basing my experience on the fact the glass panel of my PC is dusty :)

If you're not a smoker/pet household then generally they're ok, even better if you have something like a Roomba as that makes a big difference with dust. Never had any issues with my PS4 or PS4 Pro overheating or getting very loud over the years and I never cleaned them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,889 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think it's all about usage. I'm due to clean out mine again, after purchasing an iFixIt toolkit to help earlier in the year (or last year, memory gone shocking). Of course, the day I cleaned the PS5 with it, I lost the security torx head that fits the PS5... I have over 100 bits, but not the one I need... But I play/use for 1500+ hours a year, someone with far less usage won't have to clean it as often I'd imagine? But yes, pets/smoking will not help.

Load of the Smyths stores sold out of FFXVI.

Don't know why they didn't order more in especially with GameStop and Argos gone.

Luckily got one in Galway before they sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,833 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Made my last visit to Gamestop and got this cardboard Playstation sign:

Made a lovely match for the blue shorts I was wearing at the time too 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Anyone looking for a ps5 lads? Bought one a month ago for my son

Never played it

Just sitting there

Disc edition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

You spent €500 on a console for your kid and they never used it? That's a bit mad...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,798 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Is lack of use not just down to the great weather we've had lately? It's not really conducive to gaming.

If they're outside a lot then it's going to collect dust, kids these days are out til 11 so probably won't even turn it on in the evening.

If they're inside a lot and aren't using it then that's a different story. Either they aren't interested or spoiled for choice with other consoles/PC.

Wow never played a final fantasy before. Visually amazing game. Best Ive seen for realistic faces also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭recyclops

Mines been sitting idle since January or so it's just not a good console sadly. If it didn't have silent hill coming for it it'd of been binned along time ago, most of the games exclusive to it were underwhelming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Is it not a good console? I can't say I've any issues with it and mine gets used most days even if it's just to play Fortnite with my two teenagers. Got fibre in recently and that's been great in terms of downloading games because I'm not bothered buying an extra hard drive for it. I have Plus Extra at the moment so that keeps me with more than enough games at the moment as I don't care if I play a game on day one.

I'm enjoying it but I'll admit I haven't got my finger on the pulse on terms of gaming so I don't know if there's a general consensus that it's rubbish.

• Advertisement

Yeah your right I will reword it, its a fine console. If it was the only console I had I wouldnt know different I suppose, but a lot of my friends who are multiplat are the same its the one we play least and one we dont usually have gaming sessions on if we have them ( a lot less frequent now covid is done).

I just wish it had a massive pull or a must play game that lasts like says TOTK, I also havnt got Plus Extra as its not as cheap or attractive as GamePass.

My real gripe I suppose is with Sony resting on their laurels and not really being "for the players" as they say.

If your friends don't use theirs often either maybe you could sell yours and borrow one of theirs whenever a new game comes out? My friend is a PC gamer so I lend him mine for any big exclusives like RDR2, God of War etc.

Either that or you buy one online from CeX and return it no questions asked after 2 weeks haha.

Not the worst idea thiugh I've kept all my playstation except the 4 so I will leave it there for when something big comes out, will prob pick up spiderman 2

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jayisplay

I have never played a final fantasy game in my life can you just pick up and play anyone and is there any recommendations where to start .

Just pick up and play it really.

Each numbered game for the most part is a new story.

If you like going back to earlier SNES games Pixel Remaster is meant to be great. 6 and then 4 usually considered the best two.

I would recommend playing original FF7(there's a boost mode to make it easier if you get stuck anywhere) then FF7 Remake Intergrade on PS5.

Then jump into FFXVI after if you're loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Kinda depends on what you like and what your stomach is for retro.

PSX era was some of the more notable games, 7, 8 and 9. 7 is arguably the face of the franchise but honestly, I think 9 does a better job welcoming people. FF10 has a remaster and had several leaps forward (not unsurprising as it was the first PS2 one).

If you are more inclined to go modern games, the FF7 remake is great fun but a bit bloated on the story, FF15 has a bit of the opposite, the combat isn't as good but far less narrative. FF16 is new and fresh but the cynic in me says if you're going to buy one, don't buy the new one, the price will tank in 6 months, always does for FF games

As @MikeRyan87 pointed out, FF4 and FF6 would be the retro gems, although FF5 seems to be gaining popularity recently. But these are definitely only if you're happy to enjoy games that started in the 16bit era :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,889 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ànyone else getting a DNS error via Ethernet on the PS5? WiFi working fine. Was working fine yesterday, and a mate of mine is having the exact same issue but he's Sky and I'm Vodafone.

All good for me. Using tp-link plugs. Vodafone FTTC.

Edit: Router is Vodafone branded Huawei HG658c.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

I've consistently had problems using Lan with the Vodafone modem. I have to not open any games for 10 minutes before trying otherwise it won't work. From looking online it's been a problem with Vodafone for years.

• Advertisement

Please post model of the router?

Ive consistently had to call Vodafone about once a year due to faults on our line. In my experience they will try and fob you off on the 1st call saying they did a test and everything is fine. You have to demand "outside" testing of the line which does take a bit of time but usually ends up with an engineer sent out to fix. I would move provider but they give me plenty of free calls in the bundle to mobiles and UK so Im staying for now.

Advertisement