Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are so many people still going to work

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I've noticed the roads in the mornings busier on my walk to the office (when I go in, I generally play it by ear depending how I feel), even out and about during the day it feels busier, which is odd as there are only food places open so I'm not sure what people are doing. Good to see that people are just getting on with life, it would be better if more places were open for business though.

Brilliant to hear and see normal citizens get on with their lives best they can

growleaves wrote: »
    Because money can be exchanged for goods and services?

Well you would think that alright but even the Covid-ratti had a war on cash earlier on too. Bit of a push back against that mania happened though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭prunudo

road_high wrote: »
    That isn’t actual proof though. It’s it tittle tattle which is his specialty. That and cover ups of course

Hes not wrong though, hosptials, care homes and garda stations are all work places too, but I don't think thats what he was insinuating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

While I believe that a lot of the morning traffic is due to schools I also think there are plenty going to work who should be working from home, there should be no offices open and so on when the people can easily be working from home.

This is it, know people that were forced back into full time office despite being fully capable of working from home.
    Irish company and Irish management style.

It's the governments fault though, if the companies doing this were being hit by regular HSA inspections it would be hastle for the owners/managers and they would stick with having staff working from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Well actually workplaces have become one of the main areas for rising figures, as I said in my opening post.

Proof of this?

This can be extracted from table "Number of clusters/outbreaks COVID-19 by location and HSE area" in HPSC' Epidemiology of COVID-19 in Ireland Report.

It contains totals, so you need get delta between two reports.
    For example lets take latest reports with few days interval: 6 Nov and 13 Nov

The result:
                       6 Nov  13 Nov   Delta
    ----------------- ------ ------- -------
    Private house      5,131   5,914    +783
    Other                895     959     +64
    Workplace            248     259     +11
    Hospital             153     163     +10
    Residential inst.    264     270      +6
    Unknown                8      13      +5
    Nursing home         340     344      +4
    Comm. Hosp/LSU        32      33      +1

As you can see Workplace is on the 3rd place which does perfectly fit to definition "one of the main areas".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

s1ippy wrote: »
    Yeah I've a feeling it's probably more than just those three industries based on the movement in and out of Cork City.

Still going to work, I know people working in pharma, upholstery, computer shops, the legal profession, counselling and supermarkets.

Pharma, fair enough.

Furniture and computer shops, ridiculous.

Legal profession, counsellors, should all be online but if your boss says ye're open, ye're open.

Vast majority of counselling is taking place online, many people can't do counselling online for a wide range of reasons and it is absolutely an essential service. Can we not shame people trying to take care of their mental health?

I don't understand why adult education is open in level 3, 10 people in a room 5 days a week 6 hours a day (8 hours for the teacher) that's my one that bugs me, I guess everyone has something they disagree with. Adults can learn online, you don't need privacy or anything you just need a 30 euro smart phone and internet. I think when the government decided to leave adult education open in level 3 they were thinking of people going to small evening classes once or twice a week and forgot about all the other types of adult ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well aaah yes, it was. I should have had it 8 months ago.

If you're still alive 8 months later without it, then no it wasn't.

Yeah I get that it may be a diagnostic test for a cancer or some such (I've missed a follow-up screening myself).

But there are degrees of essentialism.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Can’t bate it, everyone ripping the OP a new one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭lemonTrees

That's quite a self-righteous, unpleasant and begrudging statement to make.

No it's just a fact. People need to be lead by the hand instead of taking on a degree of self awareness and responsibility.

It's all about the self and not the collective.

It's not just a problem in Ireland either btw.

Thats me wrote: »
    This can be extracted from table "Number of clusters/outbreaks COVID-19 by location and HSE area" in HPSC' Epidemiology of COVID-19 in Ireland Report.

It contains totals, so you need get delta between two reports.
    For example lets take latest reports with few days interval: 6 Nov and 13 Nov

The result:
                       6 Nov  13 Nov   Delta
    ----------------- ------ ------- -------
    Private house      5,131   5,914    +783
    Other                895     959     +64
    Workplace            248     259     +11
    Hospital             153     163     +10
    Residential inst.    264     270      +6
    Unknown                8      13      +5
    Nursing home         340     344      +4
    Comm. Hosp/LSU        32      33      +1

As you can see Workplace is on the 3rd place which does perfectly fit to definition "one of the main areas".

What type of workplaces? Hospitals, care homes etc all are workplaces. There’s a major distinction to be made which tony didn’t address in his latest ramblings. As we all well know by now he isn’t someone across detail

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

And, ahh ... was your medical appointment really essential?
    Jesus Christ.

What type of workplaces? Hospitals, care homes etc all are workplaces.

You can add these counts to the "Workplace" counts if you want. This will not affect corrctness of what poster said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭SteM

People travelling to work in their private cars are hardly spreading Coronavirus now are they.

Worry more about house parties from our delightful citizens out in Tallaght, Darndale etc. Which just so happen to have the highest incident rates in Dublin.

Would you stop, there are house parties all over the place. Was invited to 2 in Greystones over the last few weekends but keep sure bashing the obvious targets.

SteM wrote: »
    Would you stop, there are house parties all over the place. Was invited to 2 in Greystones over the last few weekends but keep sure bashing the obvious targets.

Of course they will since everybody sees these lockdown restrictions are not seriously enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

woke Corona-atti with their virtue signalling, faux outrage and moral superiority

Wew some amount of buzz words thrown out there!

Loads of sins on the other side of these arguments though too.

In extreme cases they are much worse ones like anti intellectualism, selfishness, arrogance & denial of facts.

A bit of shroud waving about issues like mental health that the "non woke" (if you want to use the term) could not have given a wet fart for before advent of Conronavius restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Why are so many people still going to work.

so they get paid, I'm in work cos broadband is rubbish at home (if only i had thought the eircom could be so incompetent 23 years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Deaths aren't occurring at the same rate as they were in the initial period of the lockdown so we don't appear to need the same level of closures. However, I think a significant factor is that people are more used to social distancing and wearing masks now which means a lot of places, including schools can be open this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭I see sheep

lemonTrees wrote: »
    It's not a lockdown. I can guarantee you that if pubs opened tomorrow they would be packed on the run up to Xmas. People are selfish and stupid.

I hope pubs are busy before Xmas.

I want pubs to stay viable as businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

km991148 wrote: »
    Lol.. yes it's all down in tallaght etc..

Never any dinner parties in clontarf or a sneaky like gathering in Terenure now is there?

D4 and D6 have the lowest incident rate in Dublin. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

I hope pubs are packed before Xmas.

I want pubs to stay viable as businesses.

Yeah you and many more people and iv'e no problem with that as long as you and your ilk aren't moaning and groaning when many more businesses go to the wall because we have to enforce a harsher lockdown in the new year.

• Advertisement

km991148 wrote: »
    Lol.. yes it's all down in tallaght etc..

Never any dinner parties in clontarf or a sneaky like gathering in Terenure now is there?

Poster is all over the forum bashing people in social housing and working class areas.

I wouldn't bother.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Jesus, so if a missed medical appointment didn't result in death, it's not essential? You can't possibly be serious (and that's aside from the fact you completely missed what the poster was saying).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'd say it's because people can now see through the fear and propaganda and realise that this bug is nowhere near as "deadly" as we were, and continue to be, told it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

I had a medical appointment this morning so was out on the road about 8ish. The traffic going in towards town was unbelievable. They couldn't possibly all have been essential workers. The last time we were asked to only go into work if our work was both essential and couldn't be done from home there was huge compliance. But now there seems to be huge ignoring of this restriction and apparently workplaces are one of the causes of figures starting to rise again.

Looking at the chart attached, it doesn't look like there's a problem to me. Especially when the HSE released a report a few weeks ago stating that only 99 people have died directly from covid 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

ixoy wrote: »
    But they're allowed open for selling essential goods, such as electric items. Why wouldn't they be open?

but yet they are still taking sales off suites of furniture

what can be that essential in there ? kettle ? tv ?

cop on

• Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Was in a shopping centre yesterday picking something up and it was well organised. Everyone wearing masks, everyone distancing, hand santising going on, hard to see any issue with it.

Glad for the staff in the shops that were open that there is sufficient trade for them to keep earning a wage, and glad that not everyone is defaulting to giving all their money to Amazon right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Yeah I get that it may be a diagnostic test for a cancer or some such (I've missed a follow-up screening myself).

But there are degrees of essentialism.

Are you being serous??????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

but yet they are still taking sales off suites of furniture

what can be that essential in there ? kettle ? tv ?

cop on

by the way i'm all for businesses being open

was merely replying to the volume of people about thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

D4 and D6 have the lowest incident rate in Dublin. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

now now, no need to be so tetchy..

You can be as cute with the figure if you want but on an area by area basis, there are house parties and there are cases attributed to them.

Some other cases will also be attributed to certain areas caring less or housing density or other socio economic factors. But to say gatherings only happen in areas you don't like is downright naive.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Was in a shopping centre yesterday picking something up and it was well organised. Everyone wearing masks, everyone distancing, hand santising going on, hard to see any issue with it.

Glad to hear they are OK. Didn't see them for months. Next time when you will be there, say them hello from happy Tesco customers who do not need to physicaly visit a shop because of delivery option.
    awec wrote: »
    Glad for the staff in the shops that were open that there is sufficient trade for them to keep earning a wage, and glad that not everyone is defaulting to giving all their money to Amazon right now.

Even with no Covid buying on Amazon was more affordable. Now it has additional advantage since it helps customers to minimise visiting public places. I see no reason to be worried about Irish businesses which are failing to offer competitive prices and even unable to organise online shopping and delivery.

Advertisement