Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

34 Days of back to back snooker begins today !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

zuutroy wrote: »
    German Masters a few years ago and a previous UK both had 3.

Why did you delete your IPB account?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

It's a bit of a slow burner this UK i have to say. The fact Eurosport have no analysis before, during or after all matches is not great. Some of the players have been pretty poor and matches have not been very exciting.

Still though it's a great tournament so when BBC come on board next week and we get some analysis it will be a lot better. A tournament as prestigious as this deserves some analysis at the very least.

I presume Eurosport will begin analysis from Saturday like BBC. Normally the first week was not televised at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Glenman wrote: »
    I presume Eurosport will begin analysis from Saturday like BBC. Normally the first week was not televised at all.

Yea i presume they will. I checked the BBC coverage and it starts on Saturday but only a certain few live hours each day and then the usual red button thing that i don't have so hopefully Eurosport will get back to their usual excellent coverage and proper analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,302 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yes, looking at last years thread there was no Eurosport tv coverage at all until Round 2 on Saturday.
    So I'm guessing we should just regard this as bare-bones 'bonus' coverage as if it was on their player. And hopefully normal quality service resumes at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

This caught my eye between sessions, not for the content, but the fact that BBC Newsnight would give 6 minutes to a young Jimmy White getting a makeover. What times!

https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1331926927658115077?s=20

• Advertisement

Ken be happy to be level at the interval, Lu was looking strong early on. Have a feeling this could go the distance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ding v some bald fella is the worst match I can ever remember watching. The standard is awful.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Ken wins a marathon 5th frame to sneak in front. Not sure but that had to be well over an hour, included Lu arguing for 10 minutes over a ball replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deise300

Any stream for this Joe? Good comeback from Ken after losing the first 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Judd Trump v Paul Davison is probably on Eurosport this evening but more than likely another one sided affair. If i had the choice i'd like to see Kurt Maflin v Aaron Hill as it has all the makings of an exciting, close fought match between two players desperate to progress.

• Advertisement

deise300 wrote: »
    Any stream for this Joe? Good comeback from Ken after losing the first 2

I think you could find a link handy enough, maybe search live stream snooker on twitter and something will turn up. Am watching on a bookies website, you need an account though.

Ken wearing him down now, 4-2, benefit of three decades of experience!

Judd Trump v Paul Davison is probably on Eurosport this evening but more than likely another one sided affair. If i had the choice i'd like to see Kurt Maflin v Aaron Hill as it has all the makings of an exciting, close fought match between two players desperate to progress.

I honestly don't want to watch the best players white wash the worse. I'd much rather watch that as well.

they/them/theirs

Another longgg frame and Lu nicks it for 4-4. Ken had him frazzled earlier on, Lu close to mini breakdown. Let him off the hook though. Its a fascinating encounter, bit of a grind but not bad snooker.

Lu found another gear, disappointing for Ken from 4-2 up. Credit to Lu though, Ken threw all his craft and experience at him, thought his head was gone at least twice but held himself together well in the end.

Hill up against it against Maflin tonight i think, but hope he acquits himself well. Never know what you're going to get with Kurt sometimes, can be brilliant or stink the gaff out. Somewhere in the middle would be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Leo Fernandez is a player I find it difficult to motivate myself to support.

Shame about Ken, Hill later this evening, might try watch a bit.

Very scrappy opener by both but a win is a win! Hopefully build his confidence on that.

Like that. Had a couple of tricky pots on, turned them down and played the safety which earned him the frame winning chance and made the ton clearance. So much about confidence and keeping a clear head this game!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yeah, great start for Hill here. Hope he can keep it going.

Cueing like a dream. And maflin all over the gaff so far.

Maflin finally woken up. 3-1 a good interval lead, keep doing what he's doing and has a great chance.

• Advertisement

Lost his lead here but to be fair, not done a lot wrong. Couple of loose safeties under pressure. Big frame incoming.

That was calamitous. Unlucky in off on the yellow but didn't think he could miss the snooker behind the pink. Dunno can he recover from that.

Big mistake by Hill lets Maflin steal the frame. That could be a big moment in the match.

Looks like Maflin is going through. A few mistakes by Hill proved to be very costly.

Very disappointed for him, second match running he's led 3-0 only not to win. Gotta hurt. Confidence drained out of him there, not handling pressure very well. On the plus side, thought his safety on the whole was quite decent, big improvement in recent displays. Couldn't buy a long pot for love nor money which is usually a strong point of his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

aaron shows a lot of rage don't he :) ,lot to learn yet

whats next for him?

Maybe not rage but definitely a bit of visible frustration there alright, allowing his emotions to get better of him. Its a brutal sport at times, very lonely when things going against you.

Just scottish open now in 2 weeks and then nothing till February i'd say. Break probably not a bad thing but does need to be earning some badly needed ranking points.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Maybe not rage but definitely a bit of visible frustration there alright, allowing his emotions to get better of him. Its a brutal sport at times, very lonely when things going against you.

Just scottish open now in 2 weeks and then nothing till February i'd say. Break probably not a bad thing but does need to be earning some badly needed ranking points.

Yes a lot of frustration and not only inexperience showing but a touch of maturity also, this kid is a player of that there’s no doubt but it’s not all about potting balls and making breaks,that’s easy when you’re flying and your opponent is struggling but it’s digging in when you need to and grinding out ugly wins is the hallmark of a top player.. Maflin is no mug but he fancied the job more than Hill at 3-3.

Hindsight is a great thing but that win against Ronnie earlier in the season may be beginning to have a negative affect on him now.

It’s more important that what he learns from these defeats he takes into the Scottish Open and the second half of the season.

FR01 wrote: »
    Yes a lot of frustration and not only inexperience showing but a touch of maturity also, this kid is a player of that there’s no doubt but it’s not all about potting balls and making breaks,that’s easy when you’re flying and your opponent is struggling but it’s digging in when you need to and grinding out ugly wins is the hallmark of a top player.. Maflin is no mug but he fancied the job more than Hill at 3-3.

Hindsight is a great thing but that win against Ronnie earlier in the season may be beginning to have a negative affect on him now.

It’s more important that what he learns from these defeats he takes into the Scottish Open and the second half of the season.

Yes, i think the downside of the ronnie victory was palpable, so easy to get ahead of yourself in these things. All that attention and the rte interviews, he's young and human so very understandable if it went to his head a bit. Nothing wrong with hard defeats once you're learning and adapting to the environment, definitely has a good bit to go yet on what we've seen.

I know he has a decent set up at home, a few good players around him, but if I were him, i'd be keen to avail of the fergal/ken/murphy axis in dublin at every available opportunity. A very deep well of knowledge and experience to tap into there.

• Advertisement

Yes, i think the downside of the ronnie victory was palpable, so easy to get ahead of yourself in these things. All that attention and the rte interviews, he's young and human so very understandable if it went to his head a bit. Nothing wrong with hard defeats once you're learning and adapting to the environment, definitely has a good bit to go yet on what we've seen.

I know he has a decent set up at home, a few good players around him, but if I were him, i'd be keen to avail of the fergal/ken/murphy axis in dublin at every available opportunity. A very deep well of knowledge and experience to tap into there.

Dublin? Have they moved on from Celbridge? ;)

they/them/theirs

Advertisement