Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pandemic Care Workers set for Deportation from Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭quokula

Normal One wrote: »
    That's mad, she must have got the the crossroad with signs pointing "Ireland 9000km" one way, and "South Africa 100km" the other way, and manged to find her way here.

It's amazing how all those Irish emigrant in the US, Australia or elsewhere never noticed that the UK was closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

quokula wrote: »
    It's amazing how all those Irish emigrant in the US, Australia or elsewhere never noticed that the UK was closer.

Superficial whataboutery parallels don't impress.

At all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

quokula wrote: »

So you're saying she's not fleeing persecution she's an economic migrant looking for the best place to get a good job?

I agree. Her story is bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

How can she have passed any garda vetting or references or basic background checks needed to work with vulnerable people if to start with she was bloody here illegally?

Who the f* is overseeing these ‘care’ of vulnerable adults industries and how many more elder abuse scandals must we have before something is actually done?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

How reliable do you think the checks might be if a person lands and says "I am fleeing threats of death from the local warlord in Northern Nigeria. I used to work there as a simple shopkeeper".

What do the guards do? Skype the local warlord for verification?

If someone is coming and claiming asylum, then, if true, they are escaping some kind of hostile environment. No?

So you admit there are local warlords then?

I am not sure what nigeria has to do with zimbabwe ....none of what you mention is pertaining to this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

How can she have passed any garda vetting or references or basic background checks needed to work with vulnerable people if to start with she was bloody here illegally?

Who the f* is overseeing these ‘care’ of vulnerable adults industries and how many more elder abuse scandals must we have before something is actually done?
    SO now you are accusing her of elder abuse without any evidence. Have there been any accusations of such?

Does any Irish person want to go and take this job ..at those wages?

If we deported all these workers our health service would collapse and it would be just as dumb as brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Considering we have had international drug dealers , murders , terrorists and rapists all living here despite having convictions and asylum in other countries yet they arrive here with new identities , unqualified medical personnel too

Can we actually do background checks in Africa absolutely not no ,but yet you can be employed looking after supporting vulnerable people .

But if I can't prove 100% who I am and where I come from I can't get a job certain sectors ,
    Odd

Gatling wrote: »
    Considering we have had international drug dealers , murders , terrorists and rapists all living here despite having convictions and asylum in other countries yet they arrive here with new identities , unqualified medical personnel too

Can we actually do background checks in Africa absolutely not no ,but yet you can be employed looking after supporting vulnerable people .

But if I can't prove 100% who I am and where I come from I can't get a job certain sectors ,
    Odd

Why not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I am not sure what nigeria has to do with zimbabwe ....none of what you mention is pertaining to this case.

Your bleeding heart, believe everyone nonsense attitude got one poor woman sexually assaulted in her bed in a care home - there is no way you can background check these scammers and they should be kicked out not given access to our most vulnerable!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,181 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You are very naive to think that, if a person wants to falsely claim asylum, that they won't think of saying they are from somewhere they are not from.

It was well documented during the peak in the early 2000's that one of the main difficulties was determining where chancers were actually from so that they could be deported.

Chancer gets off a plane, burns their passport, says they are from Northern Nigeria and the local muslim militia killed all their family. Immigration interview them and they don't know any of the local languages or know any landmarks or even any basic geography of the area. So they are denied asylum .... but where do you deport them to? You can't deport them to a random country. Nigeria won't take them because they aren't actually a citizen there.

What system are you proposing? Any female who wants to come and live in Ireland and be entitled to all the benefits here just has to indicate that she is partial to a bit of gee? Hardly a robust system against chancers now is it?

• Advertisement

You are very naive to think that, if a person wants to falsely claim asylum, that they won't think of saying they are from somewhere they are not from.

It was well documented during the peak in the early 2000's that one of the main difficulties was determining where chancers were actually from so that they could be deported.

Chancer gets off a plane, burns their passport, says they are from Northern Nigeria and the local muslim militia killed all their family. Immigration interview them and they don't know any of the local languages or know any landmarks or even any basic geography of the area. So they are denied asylum .... but where do you deport them to? You can't deport them to a random country. Nigeria won't take them because they aren't actually a citizen there.

What system are you proposing? Any female who wants to come and live in Ireland and be entitled to all the benefits here just has to indicate that she is partial to a bit of gee? Hardly a robust system against chancers now is it?

I know you’ve you’re work troubles at the min Donnie lad but allow me to say “partial to a bit of gee” made me spit out me tay. Kudos!!

There was a more recent case of a chap declared he was from a certain part of Kenya ,but couldn't speak English so when he many appeals got to court they had to get a Kenyan interpreter on a phone to translate for this Kenyan chap claiming asylum and it's multiple appeals ,but the interpreter couldn't understand him and had to tell the court he didn't recognise the dialect as Kenyan at all turned out the Spoofer was Nigerian

Gatling wrote: »
    There was a more recent case of a chap declared he was from a certain part of Kenya ,but couldn't speak English so when he many appeals got to court they had to get a Kenyan interpreter on a phone to translate for this Kenyan chap claiming asylum and it's multiple appeals ,but the interpreter couldn't understand him and had to tell the court he didn't recognise the dialect as Kenyan at all turned out the Spoofer was Nigerian

Ah yeah, but the poor divil should have been given asylum because there actually might be warlords in that part of Kenya he falsely claimed to be from

Or at least I think that is what other posters are saying ......

Anyway, the relevance was to my point on the background checks. They can't do it at all for people like that.

Ah yeah, but the poor divil should have been given asylum because there actually might be warlords in that part of Kenya he falsely claimed to be from

Or at least I think that is what other posters are saying ......

Anyway, the relevance was to my point on the background checks. They can't do it at all for people like that.

One watch of Di Caprio in Blood Diamond and they believe any old pony.

If your background can’t be proved - out you go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Racist individuals trawling this thread for things to jump on her about: what is your huge contribution to society that makes you indispensable, or do you feel that the right to be here is endowed entirely due to the country on your passport and not the content of your character or sacrifice and ambition?

Hi government, I'm the immigration office now and we're going to deport all the useless middle aged men and import lots of hard working Zimbabwean lesbians.

Gervais08 wrote: »

There is case in the UK where a Rwandan known to have slaughtered thousands was given asylum even walks around with his own personal body guards ,

But can you imagine a case now where you just have to claim you work in a care home and your entitled to be guaranteed asylum I'd imagine the multiple thousands of bogus asylum seekers will be queing up to volunteer at care homes so they can given full asylum

"The current Zimbabwe Criminal Law (Codification and Reform) Act makes specific sexual acts illegal, but falls short of criminalising LGBTI status."

([url]Https://www.dandc.eu/en/article/homophobia-zimbabwe-hurts-mental-health-lgbti-people)[/url]

You are wrong vibes. It's not a Criminal offence

Gervais08 wrote: »

Well the complication is that if someone is genuinely from an area of conflict etc. then they might not be able to access documentation to prove it.

My point was more narrow on the question of background checks for those positions. If they can't be absolutely verified then they shouldn't be allowed to work in those positions.

"The current Zimbabwe Criminal Law (Codification and Reform) Act makes specific sexual acts illegal, but falls short of criminalising LGBTI status."

([url]Https://www.dandc.eu/en/article/homophobia-zimbabwe-hurts-mental-health-lgbti-people)[/url]

You are wrong vibes. It's not a Criminal offence
    That's some splitting of hairs you're at there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Part of a functioning asylum process involves some people not being granted asylum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

s1ippy wrote: »
    Racist individuals trawling this thread for things to jump on her about: what is your huge contribution to society that makes you indispensable, or do you feel that the right to be here is endowed entirely due to the country on your passport and not the content of your character or sacrifice and ambition?

Hi government, I'm the immigration office now and we're going to deport all the useless middle aged men and import lots of hard working Zimbabwean lesbians.

Do I think being Irish means I have a right to live in Ireland ? Yes

When your first entrance to the country is by lying and breaking the law can you REALLY have a good character??

Plus leave off with the racist accusations - it’s so lame now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's a big problem in this country outside of the immigrant debate. Some care home owners making serious cash while staff get paid buttons and aren't vetted and the vulnerable and/or their families paying crazy money to have them housed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Wibbs wrote: »
    That's a big problem in this country outside of the immigrant debate. Some care home owners making serious cash while staff get paid buttons and aren't vetted and the vulnerable and/or their families paying crazy money to have them housed.

That's not a bug it's a feature. Contract out services that the state should be providing to connected insiders and you create opportunities for graft , backhanders and brown envelopes that simply wouldn't exist if all care homes were owned and run by the state.

Of course it's much less efficient and not fit for purpose but hey it's what the nursing home residents voted for...

That's not a bug it's a feature. Contract out services that the state should be providing to connected insiders and you create opportunities for graft , backhanders and brown envelopes that simply wouldn't exist if all care homes were owned and run by the state.

Of course it's much less efficient and not fit for purpose but hey it's what the nursing home residents voted for...

You have zero clue what you are taking about here, absolutely none - and your vile post blaming the elderly for any mistreatment makes me willing to take a card to tell you what I think of you.

But you are not worth it.

Wibbs wrote: »

My father recently passed away and had been cared for in his nursing home - the majority of staff did an amazing job.

There were at least two staff though I had concerns over - I would have liked to have been assured they’d been vetted. One was especially mean to a resident when I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Do I think being Irish means I have a right to live in Ireland ? Yes

How the hell have we come to it, that this most obvious of truths has to be spelled out for some people ?

That's some splitting of hairs you're at there.

It's not a crime. The laws the law. Victimised? Harassed? Bullied? Maybe but not arrested for being a lesbian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

It may have been pointed out already but the nursing homes carers route is becoming the new English language schools for immigrants seeking a route in.
    Calling them healthcare workers or pandemic workers might be suitable, that's not for me to decide, but if if it is, then nurses and doctors should be given a different term to describe what they do.
    The headlines can be misleading. "Frontline healthcare worker" and lines like it can initially point the reader to the feeling that a doctor or nurse is on the wrong side of the law. But in reality it is someone cleaning washing and feeding old people in a nursing home for low wages. That is an honourable job to do, we're all going to get old hopefully and will be grateful for the care we get when we can't do it ourselves. My point is that it's cheap immigrants being trained on a one year course to do it. It's ripe for abuse and the numbers of immigrants (legal and otherwise) in the nursing sector are huge.

• Advertisement

It's not a crime. The laws the law. Victimised? Harassed? Bullied? Maybe but not arrested for being a lesbian.
    Persecution for your sexuality is one of the grounds upon which asylum is granted.

Advertisement