Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think movies these days are mostly garbage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

It was a great film. That's all. No need to be rated, under or over or otherwise.

Yeah you already said that in your post.

And as it’s my opinion , I will say what ever I want about the film
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Oh, you’re just not in touch with new music when you begin to think there’s nothing new anymore. I’ll bet lots of genres were decades old before they actually took off and even more genres sit on the fringe and never become popular.

Irish rap has gotten bigger. British grime music has gotten much bigger in recent years. But I’m not really plugged into these things either.

there is always something I guess but had I been my grumpy old self in the 80's, it would have easy to spot the changes, grime or cadi b singing about her pussy isnt progress :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,390 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Great films released in the last two - three years include:

The Gentlemen
    I, Tonya
    Parasite
    Once Upon a Time In Hollywood
    Baby Driver
    Isle of Dogs
    Vice
    Blackkklansman
    Paddington 2

Of what I have seen I,Tonya is excellent and 1917 too for very different reasons.

Parasite and Blackkklansman are well worth a watch but not as good as the reviews I read thought of them. Klansman in particular has nothing really new or revelatory unless you go into it clueless about the KKK.

Haven't seen the rest yet

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Blackklansman is the worst movie I've watched this year so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Yeah movie quality has dropped but its not as bad as the decline of great music, a few good films do get released each year but 10/10 films are almost non existent but its hardly surprising considering tv series are now overall a better medium. I want to make more of an effort to look for the good stuff but its hard when theres so much free films available these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

silverharp wrote: »
    there is always something I guess but had I been my grumpy old self in the 80's, it would have easy to spot the changes, grime or cadi b singing about her pussy isnt progress :D

I doubt old people in the 20s thought Jazz was progress, nor the old people in the 60s thought rock was progress, nor did the old people in the 80s to think Punk was progress. Music changes and old people always think it’s moving in the wrong direction. That’s just how it works.

Blackklansman is the worst movie I've watched this year so far

What didnt you like about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I doubt old people in the 20s thought Jazz was progress, nor the old people in the 60s thought rock was progress, nor did the old people in the 80s to think Punk was progress. Music changes and old people always think it’s moving in the wrong direction. That’s just how it works.

Not true, people happily moved onto whatever kids were listening to, but new music now seems to be a derivitive rehash or written by an algorithim

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Music doesn't mean anything now. It just exists.

Bambi wrote: »
    Not true, people happily moved onto whatever kids were listening to, but new music now seems to be a derivitive rehash or written by an algorithim

That's complete rubbish, people did not move on to what the kids were into and there isn't a hope older people in the 80s were listening to Madonna getting "touched for the very first time"

I work with the elderly and they all listen to the music they liked when they were young and not one 80yo is throwing on Frankie goes to Hollywood.

And most music over the last 100 years was made by teams of people who would match songs, music and singers together, Bob Dylans first album was unusual in the fact that the writer was singing his own songs the way he wanted them to sound

• Advertisement

Music doesn't mean anything now. It just exists.

Ya all that Cliff Richard stuff was so deep with meaning.

Most Rock & Roll and Motown was nonsense about "sweethearts" disco and the 80s pop was no better

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭MsStote

Something I have talked about recently. I am finding that they are all carbon copies if you look at mainstream American movies. Indie can be great or terrible, no inbetween lol. I am finding Korean movies are excellent.
    I like Prime and Netflix own movies, they can be interesting.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    That's complete rubbish, people did not move on to what the kids were into and there isn't a hope older people in the 80s were listening to Madonna getting "touched for the very first time"

I work with the elderly and they all listen to the music they liked when they were young and not one 80yo is throwing on Frankie goes to Hollywood.

And most music over the last 100 years was made by teams of people who would match songs, music and singers together, Bob Dylans first album was unusual in the fact that the writer was singing his own songs the way he wanted them to sound

Plenty of people from the 50s, 60s and 70s were into Madonna and Michael Jackson.

Plenty of people from the 50s, 60s and 70s were into Madonna and Michael Jackson.

What do you mean from the 70s ?
    People from the 70s are almost too young for MJ and Madonna and people from the 60s are the correct age.

ABC was released in 1970

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Watched 'Beast' (2018) the other week, amazing!
    Watched 'Bug' (2006) at the weekend, brilliant, kinda relevant for these times in a way.
    'Take Shelter' (2011) is incredible, same actor in 'Bug' (Michael Shannon)

New Film on Netflix called 'Hillbilly Elegy' Out today I think which looks right up my street, i'll watch that tonight

Ya just gotta dig for good movies now. Sure the Marvel and DC movies are perfect brain fart popcorn movies, I like them, easy, but there is more than Hollywood out there, great European movies out there too being made over the last 10 years.

Anyone know where I can find the Belgian film "Patrick" ?

The reviews just said multiple streaming platforms but it's not on any of the big ones

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

It was a great film. That's all. No need to be rated, under or over or otherwise.

That last sentence doesn't really make much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

... nor did the old people in the 80s to think Punk was progress. ...

Nor should they have.
    The punks themselves didn't even think that. Wasn't really the point :D.

What do you mean from the 70s ?
    People from the 70s are almost too young for MJ and Madonna and people from the 60s are the correct age.

ABC was released in 1970

People who were listening to music in the 50s 60s 70s

bit weird to have the join the dots for someone to that degree tbh

People who were listening to music in the 50s 60s 70s

bit weird to have the join the dots for someone to that degree tbh

No it's not tbh. If you say people from the 60s that usually means people born in the 60s.

Saying people from the 60s meaning people who were listening to music in the 60s is dumb as anyone in the 60s from the age of 5 to 85 was listening to music in the 60s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Sure. It was aimed at you. I have a couple of movies from my childhood that i still enjoy too. If they came out for the first time in the cinema today i wouldn't be bothered with them because they're children's movies. I enjoy them because i have positive associations with them from my childhood. If you really, really, really enjoyed Ghostbusters if you saw it for the first time today as a 40 year old (for example), then you'd be in a very small minority because it was mostly a children's movie with a couple of adult themes thrown in to entertain the adults.

Nonsense. If the original Ghostbusters came out today it would be a huge hit. It’s a great movie. The Wokebusters was awful and deserved to sink, hopefully never to darken our screens again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Great films released in the last two - three years include:

The Gentlemen
    I, Tonya
    Parasite
    Once Upon a Time In Hollywood
    Baby Driver
    Isle of Dogs
    Vice
    Blackkklansman
    Paddington 2

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was dross.

Ah here, old people did not move into punk in the 80s. There were organised protests against rock and jazz because they were harbingers of the downfall of moral standards.

The notion that old people liked the music you listened to when you were young, is guff. They generally hated it and thought it had little innovation and adds no value, just as you’ll most likely describe today’s music.

If it was approved by old people, then young people wouldn’t bother it. If the music your generation listened to was approved by old people at the time, then it wouldn’t have become popular with young people to begin with.

Nonsense. If the original Ghostbusters came out today it would be a huge hit. It’s a great movie. The Wokebusters was awful and deserved to sink, hopefully never to darken our screens again.

You really think so? Children might like it if it came out for the first time today, adults might tolerate it if they brought the kids to see it in ty cinema. But the idea that you would like a children’s movie as much as an adult as you did when you were a child, is pretty unlikely. Can you think of many other new childrens’ movies that you liked in the last few years?

Ah here, old people did not move into punk in the 80s. There were organised protests against rock and jazz because they were harbingers of the downfall of moral standards.

The notion that old people liked the music you listened to when you were young, is guff. They generally hated it and thought it had little innovation and adds no value, just as you’ll most likely describe today’s music.

If it was approved by old people, then young people wouldn’t bother it. If the music your generation listened to was approved by old people at the time, then it wouldn’t have become popular with young people to begin with.

Yep. Elvis was gonna be the downfall of society with his hips and his "black people" music then it was the hippies then the punks, rockers, glam, scantily clad pop girls, rap, metal, grime and so on.

All were rejected and even had attempted bans by the older generations of their time.

Eminem even draws a line from Elvis to himself in Slim Shady

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Anyone know where I can find the Belgian film "Patrick" ?

The reviews just said multiple streaming platforms but it's not on any of the big ones

IFI at Home

Watched it the other night. Quirky but enjoyed it.

1. Registered Users Posts: 24,390 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

IFI at Home

Watched it the other night. Quirky but enjoyed it.

Does anyone hang dong ?

1. Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yep. Elvis was gonna be the downfall of society with his hips and his "black people" music then it was the hippies then the punks, rockers, glam, scantily clad pop girls, rap, metal, grime and so on.

All were rejected and even had attempted bans by the older generations of their time.

Eminem even draws a line from Elvis to himself in Slim Shady

And the Conservatives in the UK played this card once again in one of the recent elections (maybe 2017) with Grime music. They said it was associates with crime and blackness and all those things that old people are afraid of. And it worked.

The notion that old people thought new music was good up to right now, is fanciful. Old people today are not unique snowflakes with a much more discerning ear than all future generations. They’re just playing the same record that all old people seem to grow to love, “They don’t make’m like they used to” with the bonus track “things were better back in my day”

2. Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

And the Conservatives in the UK played this card once again in one of the recent elections (maybe 2017) with Grime music. They said it was associates with crime and blackness and all those things that old people are afraid of. And it worked.

Jesus that's terrible. I bet she never saw that coming. :pac:

220px-Grimes_2012_%28cropped%29.jpg

3. Advertisement
      4. Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You really think so? Children might like it if it came out for the first time today, adults might tolerate it if they brought the kids to see it in ty cinema. But the idea that you would like a children’s movie as much as an adult as you did when you were a child, is pretty unlikely. Can you think of many other new childrens’ movies that you liked in the last few years?

Elf, Frozen, Frozen 2, Beauty and the Beast remake was excellent. The Cars franchise is excellent. Moana. That’s off the top of my head.

Advertisement