Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think movies these days are mostly garbage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,811 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

One of the best things I ever did was join the Irish Film Institute.

They only have three screens but they are comfy as fûck... you can get a great meal / snack and or a few pints there in comfort before or after, you are even permitted to bring a pint or a wine in when you order it in a plastic glass or have it transferred.

A lot of the films might be a bit left field for ‘some’ tastes but they do also show some loved classics and more regular mainstreamish films.

They’ll have a Hitchcock, Western, Horror, Bergman, season where one of the cinemas is given over to showing old classics... really nice place to watch a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

No, I think there's just as many good films being made as there ever was. Same with music.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 273 ✭✭Hqrry113

Rothko wrote: »
    No, I think there's just as many good films being made as there ever was. Same with music.

Just out of curiosity what type of films do you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Hqrry113 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity what type of films do you like?

I enjoy a lot of different type of films tbh. Although I don't usually go for romantic comedies and I'm not that interested in superhero films, especially all the Marvel stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Absolutely...the late Bruno Ganz deserved an oscar or a nomination at least...

But i suppose he made hitler "too human" for the Hollywood elite....

It was a German movie. The Oscars are for US movies.

The Oscars do have one category for International films (i.e. "foreign films"). And Downfall did receive a nomination in this category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

dotsman wrote: »
    It was a German movie. The Oscars are for US movies.

The Oscars do have one category for International films (i.e. "foreign films"). And Downfall did receive a nomination in this category.

The Oscars are not exclusively for US films. Parasite, a South Korean film, won Best Picture this year. Admittedly it's the first non-English language film to do so, but others have been nominated in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

It’s pretty bad when there is nothing good in cinema releases that I wanted to see in the past two years... add the “people of colour” agenda in, it means no originality. There is only so much Medea crap you can watch...

Hollywood has become too PC, to realise that originality requires characters who are not black or white but characters. They are too concerned about the perceived outrage caused by creating real people as it may affect some demographic.

turn on Netflix a few good series alright, Hulu has a few as does Amazon but films?....nada

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Once Chevy Chase stopped being funny, that was the beginning of the end for comedies anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I hate the avengers movies

love the mission impossible franchise however and im a big fan of stupid action movies , not sure why the marvel offerings leave me cold

KungPao wrote: »
    Once Chevy Chase stopped being funny, that was the beginning of the end for comedies anyway.

"Stopped ' ?

• Advertisement

Hollyweird producers look at twitter or facebook see whats trending and say "lets make a film about that". You get some nuggets of gold but the majority is just rehashed or re-realised crap, switching genders reversing roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,390 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Jeysus some utterly sad insecure individuals on here. Cant even talk about movies without crying about having to look at a black guy being the hero

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

it is 100% fact that there are many steaming piles of sh1te released this year , seems like some well known actors are working through covid to pay the tax bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

mikhail wrote: »
    Most movies have always been rubbish. You just remember the good ones selectively. Everyone does it. It's why the golden age fallacy is so common.

This.

You look back over the last 20 years or so and you pick out 20 great films - you've just forgotten the dozens of so-so's and the hundreds of absolute steaming piles of shíte.

There's only so much talent to go around, particularly acting & writing talent, but also even the more mundane technical, production talent - editors, cinematographers and so on. That's why hollywood keeps remaking the same films over and over, if it was successfull 30 years ago, lets update it a bit and try wring out a few more dollars. It's far cheaper and easier to copy than to create and it's show business at the end of the day, not show public service!

And the volume.

Nollywood churns out about 2,000 motion pictures a year. No surprise about the calibre of plot and filmography.

Bollywood churns about the same number and best ones are watchable, if you don't mind a song and dance every now and then.

Tollywood is like lower budget Bollywood but where heroes and villains have a healthy disrespect for the laws of physics in their action films.

Hong Kong does good action movies.

Mainland China now does epics, but with state sponsored morals. It's like the Hayes code all over again. There's more big budget Hollywood rubbish too.

Oz and NZ come up with gems time after time.

Japan and Korea and France and Italy and Germany and Spain all have comparable populations to the UK. And like the UK the output is mixed.

Great films stand out. "By the numbers" rubbish is soon forgotten.

What is " Tollywood " ?

I know Bollywood is the Indian industry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    What is " Tollywood " ?

It's the thriving film industry in Tallaght!

I'm like you i've heard of bollywood, but Tolly and Nollywood are new me.

I'm gonna guess Nolly, is Nigerian, because they've no copyright laws and every second fúcker there is a rich prince looking to invest?

It's the thriving film industry in Tallaght!

I'm like you i've heard of bollywood, but Tolly and Nollywood are new me.

I'm gonna guess Nolly, is Nigerian, because they've no copyright laws and every second fúcker there is a rich prince looking to invest?

i thought Nollywood was pakistan ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭lemonTrees

Yeah defo not as many good movies as years gone by but still some crackers every now and then.

I'll say this though, music these days is mostly absolute garbage.

lemonTrees wrote: »
    Yeah defo not as many good movies as years gone by but still some crackers every now and then.

I bet your dad was saying exactly the same thing when you were young

Hqrry113 wrote: »
    For me as someone who hates action/comedy movies and can only watch movies that have a good story drama/thrillers I find the films these days mostly mediocre with a few exceptions, there are a lot of good movies that have been made in the last 5-10 years but the quantity and quality of good movies has decreased dramatically over these years probably because it's far easier to make a basic action flick or a comedy than it is to make a decent movie.

Although if you're a big action/comedy fan you probably wouldn't have noticed as it's probably a golden age of movies for them genres.

Or is not a golden age for either. The 80s owned action movies. Arguable owned or shared comedies with the 90s.

There's good movies in all genres but I agree, short supply. I'm sick to death of superhero stuff. It was ok at the start but it's beyond saturation at this stage.

Comedies come along periodically but yeah, lot of crap in-between.

Thrillers were doing well for a while but seem to have run out of steam.

Probable only watched a handful of new releases this year that I genuinely enjoyed.

Chevy chase, Steve martin and Eddie murphy when they were top of their games. I like Ferrell now but he's only 1 guy so there's only so many 'get hard' and 'other guys' out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

lemonTrees wrote: »

Music is not rubbish nowadays (sorry but I refuse to use "garbage".

There's lots of good music out there and all very accessible via music services. You have to go look for it and ignore the bland pop that's played on the radio nowadays. They seem to just play from one genre nowadays which is different to before.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Music is not rubbish nowadays (sorry but I refuse to use "garbage".

There's lots of good music out there and all very accessible via music services. You have to go look for it and ignore the bland pop that's played on the radio nowadays. They seem to just play from one genre nowadays which is different to before.

Radio is not worse nowadays. Radio has spent the vast majority of its existence playing bland popular crap ask anyone who was into any form of rock in the 60/70/80s. There was no Pink Floyd, Clash or Bowie on the radio back then with the exception of the odd pirate channel. It is way better now because you have a ton of radio stations so you pick the one that caters to your music tastes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Zaph wrote: »
    The Oscars are not exclusively for US films. Parasite, a South Korean film, won Best Picture this year. Admittedly it's the first non-English language film to do so, but others have been nominated in the past.

But they generally are, or were. The purpose of the best foreign film category was to bundle all the non-US movies into one category and have all other categories available for Hollywood-produced movies. The fact that the Oscars are decided by Hollywood insiders and are big business for the major studios pretty much drives this.

However, in recent years, the Oscars are all about being woke, so they have changed the name of "foreign film" (which is offensive) to "international film" (which is fine) and started including foreign films in the other categories to ensure there are non-white and non-male dominated options. Hence, Parasite and Roma the year before etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

There are still good movies out there, it's just that there are more and more average ones making the godo ones harder to find.

Try going for the more independent cinema titles and stay away from the blockbusters as they tend to be too audience driven.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

But they generally are, or were. The purpose of the best foreign film category was to bundle all the non-US movies into one category and have all other categories available for Hollywood-produced movies. The fact that the Oscars are decided by Hollywood insiders and are big business for the major studios pretty much drives this.

However, in recent years, the Oscars are all about being woke, so they have changed the name of "foreign film" (which is offensive) to "international film" (which is fine) and started including foreign films in the other categories to ensure there are non-white and non-male dominated options. Hence, Parasite and Roma the year before etc.

The foreign title was a stupid title in the first place: I mean to us, all US movies are "foreign". (Not that "international" is all that better: are all the other categories only open to "national" titles?!)

People pay far too much attention to the Oscars in general.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Or maybe because a lot of movies are multinational funded so the idea of an American film is blurred now. Also Parasite and Roma are widely regarded as brilliant so it's nothing to do with "woke" and it's only snowflakes like you gets upset about these things

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Radio is not worse nowadays. Radio has spent the vast majority of its existence playing bland popular crap ask anyone who was into any form of rock in the 60/70/80s. There was no Pink Floyd, Clash or Bowie on the radio back then with the exception of the odd pirate channel. It is way better now because you have a ton of radio stations so you pick the one that caters to your music tastes

I would disagree.

If you compare the charts of the 70/80/90s you'd find a varied type of music from guitar, electronic.pop, metal etc all there.

The charts were very much radio driven and they played a variety.
    Bowie & Pink Floyd were definitely played.

Today's charts are mostly bland pop and/or rap and that's all you're hearing on the radio now and I have stopped listening to it nowadays and find my own sources for good music which is definitely out there.

I'm really fed up with people saying that everything either is or is driven by being "woke"

The fact that the Oscars are progressing and now include foreign films in other categories is not woke but correct and acknowledging that films are not just made in Hollywook.
    "Parasite" was a very worthy winner this year and it's great that it was not restricted to one category.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

A lot of so-so movies rather than outright walk-out-of-the-cinema bad.
    Studios sticking to safe formulas, remakes and reboots.

A very few outstanding ones, but then every era had its quota of fluff.

Watched the Ghostbusters reboot, to give it a fair go, the other night. It was awful; terrible story, script, acting. Definite walk-out material.

Yeah but you’re an adult now and you’re probably a lot more critical of things than you were back when the original ghostbusters was released -you ought to be.

Ghostbuster was a Child/teenager movie. The reboot was also a child’s movie with a nod to the the 40 year old fans of the original who are bringing their children to see it.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    I would disagree.

If you compare the charts of the 70/80/90s you'd find a varied type of music from guitar, electronic.pop, metal etc all there.

The charts were very much radio driven and they played a variety.
    Bowie & Pink Floyd were definitely played.

Today's charts are mostly bland pop and/or rap and that's all you're hearing on the radio now and I have stopped listening to it nowadays and find my own sources for good music which is definitely out there.

I just picked a random year 1971 and checked the charts and you have Carole King, Janis Joplin and Joan Baez up there in the top 20 who are all artists who appeal to about 3 generations of my family. Maybe I'm wrong on this but that kind broad appeal easy listening music is gone.

And certainly as a rock fan for me there isn't much out there now but I hate when people confuse that with current music being s*** just cause it doesn't suit them.

Same goes for movies Im not really into the super hero stuff despite being a sci-fi fan but it doesn't mean they are crap and the likes of Disney still seem to be throwing out the odd classic

Advertisement