Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There is a generation that has not grown up with .......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Shelves full of dictionaries, bilingual dictionaries and thesauri. Double checking spelling and meaning in important documents (especially in foreign languages) could be a long tedious process compared to doing everything electronically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Doing the general knowledge quiz in school.

We used to get 20 questions and had the weekend to answer them.
    You'd be saving the newspapers, calling the neighbors, looking up atlases and encyclopedias. This was in 1999, so just about pre-internet.

Now you'd have them answered as quick as the teacher could write them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

MarkR wrote: »
    To this day, whenever I hear particular songs I expect to hear Dave fanning at the end of my recording.

Ian Dempsey still does it at the beginning of Every. Single. Song. Apparently it doesn't start until the singing starts! Wrecks my head!

Things this generation has not grown up with:

being thrown out of the house every day during the summer holidays and told not to come back til tea time/dark, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

being thrown out of the house every day during the summer holidays and told not to come back til tea time/dark, etc.

I remember being thrown out in an actual blizzard, with a bin bag over my coat for extra waterproofing and socks for gloves. That's not monty python, that's an actual childhood memory / trauma:D

Or waking up in a fúcking fridge for 2 or 3 months of the year because there was no central heating and then having to get dressed for school under the covers in bed because it was so cold in the bedroom!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I remember being thrown out in an actual blizzard, with a bin bag over my coat for extra waterproofing and socks for gloves. That's not monty python, that's an actual childhood memory / trauma:D

Or waking up in a fúcking fridge for 2 or 3 months of the year because there was no central heating and then having to get dressed for school under the covers in bed because it was so cold in the bedroom!

:):):) your mother hates you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Yeah and frost on the INSIDE of the windows.

And in those old houses in those days you weren't allowed in the front room as it was only for best.

Wake me up when it's all over.

W123-80's wrote: »
    Y

On a related note, when we eventually got a video player/recorder, having to type those really long codes from the TV listings into the video recorder in order pre program it to record something in advance.

Fun times.

Always missed either the first or the last 10 minutes didn't it!

We were fortunate to own the video, but having blown all the money on that a trip to the video shop was obviously out of the question. Cue some dodgy bloke who'd turn up twice a week and we'd select counterfeit copies directly from the boot of his 10 year old rust bucket!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Going to the video library , renting your video, getting it home to discover its crap

Or the first 30 seconds of the tape are filthy dirty and the playing heads become contaminated on video recorder, you go look for your cleaning tape and find you have no methylated spirits to drop into the little hole on the cleaner cassette to wet the cleaning tape, you try and try to clean with a dry cleaner tape but.....BULL$HIT, cant watch the tape you just rented.

Back to choosing from,

RTE 1
    RTE 2
    BBC 1
    BBC 2
    ITV
    Channel four

Maybe, if your lucky living on the east coast, you picked up BBC wales as a novelty Via old fashioned aerial.

We must have been neighbors, because that's 100% my childhood home, you see your breath in your room in the morning like your outside, no exaggeration, no bull$hit.

We must have been neighbors, because that's 100% my childhood home, you see your breath in your room in the morning like your outside, no exaggeration, no bull$hit.

The insides of the windows were wet with condensation.
    Hot water bottles were a necessity.

Then we upgraded to oil filled heaters in our bedrooms. No point just turning it on, the heat would leave the room just as quick, so we'd wheel the heater beside the bed and throw the duvet over it.

• Advertisement

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    The insides of the windows were wet with condensation.
    Hot water bottles were a necessity.

Then we upgraded to oil filled heaters in our bedrooms. No point just turning it on, the heat would leave the room just as quick, so we'd wheel the heater beside the bed and throw the duvet over it.

Windows were single glaze, window frames wooden, when the condensation ran down the glass, there was a little gulley that ran along the window frame that the water would gather in, a hole was then in either one or two location on bottom edge of window to allow condensation to escape to outside..... when the hole became clogged with dirt, water would overflow and down the walls.

You had to unclog the hole with a wire coat hanger to get the water flowing again.

70's Ireland county council Engineering!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

5 1/4 inch floppy disks
    3 1/2 inch floppy (physically hard) disks
    Zip drives, mini disks
    And rapidly heading that way, CD /DVD disks.
    And following closely behind that is USB drives

... typing out programing code in Basic from a computer magazine so you can play a new game on your Sinclair Spectrum or Amstrad CPC.

rn wrote: »
    5 1/4 inch floppy disks
    Zip drives, mini disks

I remember the real floppy discs you mention, you could bend them as they were housed in flexible plastic.

The 'Hard' floppy disc was floppy inside, thus retaining the name.

The Disc drive becoming obsolete we can see now with the new PS5 having driveless option.

I think it will be a while before USB slots become obsolete, if only because in case a recovery of a drive is needed or diagnostics you need a way in to the OS

That used to be done via Disc media, but can be done just as handy via live USB, accessing the BIOS though being made increasingly more difficult to access by Microsoft systems, they dont want you fixing your own issues.

70's Ireland county council Engineering!

That technology was still being used in the 80's and probably the 90's too!

... typing out programing code in Basic from a computer magazine so you can play a new game on your Sinclair Spectrum or Amstrad CPC.

Playing a games code into you commodore 64 from the cassette (Genius), it sounding like an old dial up modem for the 3 or 4 minute duration.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Having to be reliable and turn up on time if meeting friends.
    No 'I'm running late' mobile phone excuses in the old days, you had to (shock!) actually be organised enough, make an effort and have the manners to be there on time.

... watching the Four Yorkshiremen Sketch before it was the Monty Python Four Yorkshiremen Sketch.

First performed in 1967 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Yorkshiremen_sketch .

spurious wrote: »
    Having to be reliable and turn up on time if meeting friends.
    No 'I'm running late' mobile phone excuses in the old days, you had to (shock!) actually be organised enough, make an effort and have the manners to be there on time.

Your not Irish are you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Ringing a girl you met to ask her if she wanted to go out and praying that she or her mother would answer the phone and not her father or brother. Ya needed nerves of steel. :)

• Advertisement

You'll be familiar with the life or death run from the bath to the fire so!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭bullpost

Or the first 30 seconds of the tape are filthy dirty and the playing heads become contaminated on video recorder, you go look for your cleaning tape and find you have no methylated spirits to drop into the little hole on the cleaner cassette to wet the cleaning tape, you try and try to clean with a dry cleaner tape but.....BULL$HIT, cant watch the tape you just rented.

Back to choosing from,

RTE 1
    RTE 2
    BBC 1
    BBC 2
    ITV
    Channel four

Maybe, if your lucky living on the east coast, you picked up BBC wales as a novelty Via old fashioned aerial.

We got HTV . I can still remember how to say hello in Welsh.

You'll be familiar with the life or death run from the bath to the fire so!:D

Yes indeed, the fire being like a blacksmiths furnace burning high heat coal and slack (Slack being the almost dust like remains from the coal yard that was bagged up and would create an immense amount of heat) you couldn't sit within four feet from the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Test card on the TV

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Back to choosing from,

RTE 1
    RTE 2
    BBC 1
    BBC 2
    ITV
    Channel four

Fancy pants, having all those channels and not just two, on a B/W tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Floppybits

One house having Cablelink (now virgin) and about 3 or 4 other houses illegally getting their tv feed from that connection.

Mr Meanor wrote: »
    Test card on the TV

SUPER Channel….. this was the birth of satellite television, it being in competition with SKY that was only another single channel satellite station at the time,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC_Europe#Super_Channel

Superchannel1987.jpg

Max Headroom, (For years I always accepted the name as the name, penny only dropped years later…… MAX HEADROOM)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

rn wrote: »
    5 1/4 inch floppy disks
    Zip drives, mini disks

I still use minidiscs. Mainly because the walkman runs off a single AA battery and uses so little power that I use old batteries discarded from the kids toys.

Floppybits wrote: »
    One house having Cablelink (now virgin) and about 3 or 4 other houses illegally getting their tv feed from that connection.

Ahh yes, the old coaxial cable feed, if you actually stripped a coax cable down to the central core copper wire, and left yourself About four to six inches of bare cable, you could wrap it around the outer of an intact cable that was carrying the signal and pick up signal from that.

The four to six inches giving you a good anchor and stability on the cable so it had little or no movement and would not fall off.

Still on windy rainy day you would get moderate picture quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Floppybits wrote: »

Or moving into a rented gaff and just plugging your TV in to get 17 channels because they couldn't turn off the analogue feed.

Advertisement