Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There is a generation that has not grown up with .......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Potatoes for dinner every day without question.
    Foreign foods with funny names were avoided.
    There is still a remnant throwback to this in hospital meals, where "chicken curry with rice" may include a big wallop of mash, but just a spoonful of rice.

I consider it old people food.
    My SIL refers to pasta as "Foreign Muck!". But she was born old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Waiting for RTE2 to start in the evenings
    Waiting for rte to start in the evening at 5.30.
    No TV on Good Friday except Stations of the Cross and music as if Brezhnev had died

valoren wrote: »
    Serialised television. No more having to wait a week to find out what happens next. Entire series dropped at the same time. Instant gratification.

Using Limewire to download TV episodes from the US, rather then waiting six months for them to be shown on TV here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Polio and smallpox

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

Wet wipes

• Advertisement

smurf492 wrote: »
    Good music.. The 80s and 90s are amazing compared to the shtie today

Don't worry, every generation gets to hear all wans going on about how music that isn't 20 or 30 years old is ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭screamer

Patience, everything is now, now, now instantaneous, from digital to material they just want it all and want it now.... Verucca Salts

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

Canvas tents that leaked if you touched them.
    Horrible orange Dublin diesel buses.
    Bus conductors.
    Fas apprenticeship brochures.
    Litter blowing through the streets everywhere.
    Slow sets.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd say Catholic's being targetted for attacks at a Church, as happened in Northern Ireland but then the events at Nice, France last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

Stripping wallpaper

• Advertisement

1) being told to go outside and play because the pipe is gone

You had to go outside if you had no running water?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Spending days in the bog doing turf.
    Days in the meadow making trams of hay (hay stacks to you city folk).
    Weeks later making a huge reek of hay with those same trams of hay.
    Not being able to breathe with the dust while forking that same hay into a shed.
    Stacking Square bales.

Milking cows after school every evening.
    Digging potatoes and burying them in a pit covered in straw and clay to come back weeks later to dig them up again and half of them eaten by rats.

Earning your first bit of money selling foxes caught in a trap, 30 pounds was a fortune to a 12 year old in the 70's
    Catching a small trout in the field behind your house and frying him within 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

McGaggs wrote: »
    Don't worry, every generation gets to hear all wans going on about how music that isn't 20 or 30 years old is ****e

Ah come on, you only have to look at what was in the charts then compared to now. I hardly think WAP or Maroon 5 are going to leave an imprint as the Spice Girls and Oasis did.

A few good songs around but nothing as iconic as the artists of the 80's or 90's where every year you could pick out at least 3-4 classic albums that all charted very highly in their time and are still being discovered by new generations till this day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

feartuath wrote: »
    Spending days in the bog doing turf.
    Stacking turf.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Potatoes for dinner every day without question.
    Neither of my parents had this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Waiting for RTE2 to start in the evenings
    Leaving the radio on at night

Closed down at 2am and silent until 6:30am when there was a fanfare. Who needed alarm clocks ?
    Had to be to leaving the house when the horoscopes came on to catch the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

... not having to get up and manually swap over the TV channels.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭moonage

Oh, those Brazilians, you know? Circa 1970? Broke the mould. Theory out the window. Free expression of football. Uncategorisable. Is that a word? It is now! You know? Far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Rush goalie. Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's gone home for his tea. Beans on toast? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

dresden8 wrote: »
    My girlfriend's 17 year old has racked up more air miles than I have in 51 years. She blames me for global warming.

Your girlfriend is 17, fair fcuks

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Ah come on, you only have to look at what was in the charts then compared to now. I hardly think WAP or Maroon 5 are going to leave an imprint as the Spice Girls and Oasis did.

A few good songs around but nothing as iconic as the artists of the 80's or 90's where every year you could pick out at least 3-4 classic albums that all charted very highly in their time and are still being discovered by new generations till this day.

Current top 5.
    1 positions [Explicit] Ariana Grande.
    2 Lemonade (Ft. Don Toliver, Gunna & Nav)
    3 Sweet Melody. Little Mix.
    4 See Nobody (Ft. Hardy Caprio) [Explicit] ...
    5 Midnight Sky. Miley Cyrus.

Hits of Mid November 1990
    1 Righteous Brothers Unchained Melody
    2 Kim Appleby Don't Worry
    3 Gazza & Lindisfarne Fog On The Tyne (Revisited)
    4 Black Box Fantasy
    5 Beautiful South A Little Time

Equally ****e

Have a look at BBC 4. Theyve been replaying old top of the tops for ages now. They're up to 1990 now, so you can see how bad it actually was. New Kids on the Block were on last night...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Not that im disagreeing but everyone says that about previous generations.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

There's a lot of sh1te music played on Reeling in the Years and any Golden Hour type programme, I imagine the best stuff of the seventies to nineties got feck all exposure, John Creedon usually plays good modern music any time I tune into him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

chrissb8 wrote: »

I cant believe you think the Spice Girls are going to leave an imprint.The Beatles they are not.

Girl Power my bollix.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Current top 5.
    1 positions [Explicit] Ariana Grande.
    2 Lemonade (Ft. Don Toliver, Gunna & Nav)
    3 Sweet Melody. Little Mix.
    4 See Nobody (Ft. Hardy Caprio) [Explicit] ...
    5 Midnight Sky. Miley Cyrus.

Hits of Mid November 1990
    1 Righteous Brothers Unchained Melody
    2 Kim Appleby Don't Worry
    3 Gazza & Lindisfarne Fog On The Tyne (Revisited)
    4 Black Box Fantasy
    5 Beautiful South A Little Time

Equally ****e

Have a look at BBC 4. Theyve been replaying old top of the tops for ages now. They're up to 1990 now, so you can see how bad it actually was. New Kids on the Block were on last night...

I’m sure that Gazza had a few “Wets on the wall”! One of my favourite Lindisfarne songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Going to the video library , renting your video, getting it home to discover its crap

You forget to mention having to rent the actual video player too.
    Or were you one of those really posh houses with a video recorder and channel 4?

On a related note, when we eventually got a video player/recorder, having to type those really long codes from the TV listings into the video recorder in order pre program it to record something in advance.

Fun times.

I’m sure that Gazza had a few “Wets on the wall”! One of my favourite Lindisfarne songs.

If you're going to insist on a 90s song from a Geordie footballer, I'll have to give you this:

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

'Meet Me On The Corner' ;)

COVID wrote: »
    'Meet Me On The Corner' ;)

Run for home, Lady Eleanore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Silent tears as the drone of bomber engines becomes audible through the wail of air raid sirens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Closedown, the test card and that monotone whine.

You forgot A Prayer At Bedtime and the National Anthem.

Advertisement