Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There is a generation that has not grown up with .......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

Betamax... wait, no one has :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

developing your own photos! I seriously have all the gear, from the enlarger to the contact plates and the photographic paper and all the chemicals and timers etc. Just got all the gear out of the attic there. Everything still works. The enlarger was made in Czechoslovakia, I mean the country doesn't exist anymore but the enlarger does!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Spore wrote: »
    Betamax... wait, no one has :pac:

There is a generation that has not grown up with ....... out the shame of knowing they made a wrong decision.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭buried

Maybe not so much in other countries but definitely here in Ireland there is a generation that has not grown up with mainstream radio stations playing a selection of new forward pushing music or syndicating a show that selects current forward pushing pop/rock/electronic music. This was not the case in the 80's, 90's early 2000's. The last mainstream show to do this was probably Dineen's slot for Today FM about nearly 15 years ago now. An Taobh Tuathail on Raidió na Gaeltachta still does it, but unfortunately that station is far from the ears of the majority. It's a f**king shame because plenty of good new music is being released on a constant basis but the mainstream stations won't touch it or allow anybody to play it. And these artists could do with the showcasing, especially now in the current situation where live shows are basically gone.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

wooden spoons/belts those of you who know, you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭MsStote

...dialup internet sound lol

• Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They were some poxy yokes, the VT52s with the tiny screen and the fixed keyboard!

Sheer luxury. Young people today don't know how lucky they are.

You haven't lived until you've installed MS Office on a production line of office PCs from 23 x 1.44" floppy discs.

you had it easy. try installing windows 95 from 48(or was it 49) floppy discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Warm dry summers and cold frosty winters.

School desks with the ink well.

The yellow and white school bus that was probably already 20 years old.

Getting a haircut about every 3 months.

Army jackets and stonwashed jeans being the fashion trend.

Culchie thing here but having to spend the summer hols in the bog at turf.

you had it easy. try installing windows 95 from 48(or was it 49) floppy discs.

Fairly sure it was only 13, but still far toooooo many.

Fairly sure it was only 13, but still far toooooo many.

no i had it wrong. it was 29 not 48 or 49. That was the OEM version. the retail version came on 13 "floppies" but they weren't regular floppies as they held more than 1.44MB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

waiting and being patient - E.G like meeting a nice boy and arranging to see him the following weekend, looking forward to it and him being where you had agreed to meet. The pure innocent excitement of it.

wooden spoons/belts those of you who know, you know.

thats whats wrong with this bunch no discipline no correction PC parenting = little scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Proper chocolate.
    Cadburys dairy milk used to be unbelievable.
    Nearly all chocolate are gone to shyte now and can't hold to the original receipe
    Add proper Lucozade to the mix
    whoops cold bars with more E numbers than you could shake a stick at

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Space rocks I think they were called, they would actually bounce out of your mouth, brilliant!!

home grown veg & fruit

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

buried wrote: »
    Maybe not so much in other countries but definitely here in Ireland there is a generation that has not grown up with mainstream radio stations playing a selection of new forward pushing music or syndicating a show that selects current forward pushing pop/rock/electronic music. This was not the case in the 80's, 90's early 2000's. The last mainstream show to do this was probably Dineen's slot for Today FM about nearly 15 years ago now. An Taobh Tuathail on Raidió na Gaeltachta still does it, but unfortunately that station is far from the ears of the majority. It's a f**king shame because plenty of good new music is being released on a constant basis but the mainstream stations won't touch it or allow anybody to play it. And these artists could do with the showcasing, especially now in the current situation where live shows are basically gone.

My 16yo didn't know how to tune in a radio station - asked me 'what number is 98FM at, Dad'. They've never used a radio dial.

waiting and being patient - E.G like meeting a nice boy and arranging to see him the following weekend, looking forward to it and him being where you had agreed to meet. The pure innocent excitement of it.

Meeting someone under Clerys clock if you were a dub. Deciding how long you were going to stand there until you realised they weren't coming and gave up.

waiting a whole week for an episode of Dallas !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭buried

My 16yo didn't know how to tune in a radio station - asked me 'what number is 98FM at, Dad'. They've never used a radio dial.

Yeah, that's kind of grim enough in itself. There is something comforting about listening to or watching broadcasts that you know other people are listening to or watching at the same time. It has a sort of communal effect, much like forums like this have, you know others are or may be involving themselves into what you are experiencing at the same time. It's not surprising though that your kid doesn't know what a radio dial is. The mainstream radio stations plays nothing for them only what the radio stations think they want, not what the kids actually need which is forward pushing work.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They were some poxy yokes, the VT52s with the tiny screen and the fixed keyboard!
    The VT100's were the mutt's nuts compared to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ablelocks wrote: »
    would you not think of refurbishing it and build in current tech?
    The lazy option is Buetooth receiver wired into the volume control.

Most of the good separates had various inputs so dead easy to upgrade. If you can find the right cable that is.

Longwave and AM and turning the radio to get a good signal.

Cablelink used to have a matrix of their channels like a zoom meeting. So you could see the sports channel on 1/16th of the screen. No sound but you could listen to the radio and squint.

The lazy option is Buetooth receiver wired into the volume control.

Most of the good separates had various inputs so dead easy to upgrade. If you can find the right cable that is.

Longwave and AM and turning the radio to get a good signal.

Cablelink used to have a matrix of their channels like a zoom meeting. So you could see the sports channel on 1/16th of the screen. No sound but you could listen to the radio and squint.

Longwave and AM no play well with anything with a microprocessor in it. If it wasn't for the massive interference from my computer I'd be listening to BBC Radio 4 as I type this on a Roberts (LW) Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Ha, radios?

Who remembers hanging a bunch of keys on the television "rabbit ears" to improve the reception?

Also, twiddling the knobs on the back of it: Horizontal Hold and Vertical Hold. No idea what those really were for, but it passed the time. Hissss...

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Ha, radios?

Who remembers hanging a bunch of keys on the television "rabbit ears" to improve the reception?

Also, twiddling the knobs on the back of it: Horizontal Hold and Vertical Hold. No idea what those really were for, but it passed the time. Hissss...

Vertical hold stopped the picture rolling vertically, usually adjusted by the father accompanied by directions from the mother;)

Double lines around everything in the picture was another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Expensive flights before Michael O'Leary came along

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Vertical hold stopped the picture rolling vertically, usually adjusted by the father accompanied by directions from the mother;)

Double lines around everything in the picture was another one.

I don't remember it being quite as organized or polite as that.

I don't remember it being quite as organized or polite as that.

I gave the U version:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

TV stations closing down for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Meeting someone under Clerys clock if you were a dub. Deciding how long you were going to stand there until you realised they weren't coming and gave up.

Getting a 50 outside Brown Thomas (in Cork) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

iamstop wrote: »
    For me the MAJOR thing I had against 'i' products was that they forced you to use itunes, which I hated.

iTunes had its uses, once upon a time it seemed so hard to break out of the Apple ecosystem that Nokia made headlines by managing to get an iPhone to share its contacts by getting one of their phones to present itself as a car kit via Bluetooth. Not long after Sony were shipping software with their phones that prompted you to make an unencrypted backup of your iPhone from which the Sony software stripped just about any piece of personal data that you might have wanted to migrate to your new phone. I love that iTunes was the chink in the armour.

Advertisement