Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There is a generation that has not grown up with .......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Modifying config.sys to get your game to run.

I hear rumours that MS want to get rid of Control Panel even. Can't have pesky users changing settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

riclad wrote: »
    This generation is the first to expect all media on demand eg all TV programs will be on streaming services every TV station can be viewed live online

The next generation won't expect that because there'll be 47 different streaming platforms, all with different exclusive content.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,309 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

riclad wrote: »
    Dísc drives are not absolete, you can use em to watch 4k movies, not everyone has fast Internet to download games that are 250gig plus. Millions of users in America have no acess to fast broadband.
    I like to buy games play them once then trade
    them in
    And also buy preowned games for 20 euro
    A digital download is of no value once you have played
    People complain about doxxing
    Every house used to get a phone directory which listed
    every person by name who rented a phone or had a phone line
    Most consoles being sold still have a disk drive
    USB drives are still useful for booting up Linux or just
    Saving files as a backup
    This generation is the first to expect all media on demand eg all TV programs will be on streaming services every TV station can be viewed live online

The current generation is going to get a shock when they realise that they do not own the content they are paying for. Even when they pay to "own" a downloaded movie they don't actually own anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Having to wire a 13 amp plug on every new electrical appliance you bought and having to decide which appliance you use the least to "borrow" a plug from.

My ma used to plug out the radio, then poke the wires of the iron into the socket and plug the radio back in to iron. This went on literally for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

How to use a turning handle to start a car, or get water from a well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The current generation is going to get a shock when they realise that they do not own the content they are paying for. Even when they pay to "own" a downloaded movie they don't actually own anything.

I don't think people mind.
    I definitely don't miss the stacks of DVDs that I'll never watch again.
    joe40 wrote: »
    How to use a turning handle to start a car, or get water from a well.

The previous two generations haven't grown up with that either.

This generation will never know a pre internet, pre social media world.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,948 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Doing dumb fcuking things that never ended up online, for all to see, for all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

My ma used to plug out the radio, then poke the wires of the iron into the socket and plug the radio back in to iron. This went on literally for years!

I remember seeing electric irons plugged into the light socket.
    wall sockets were rare and for years consumers referred to the bill as the "Light Bill"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭bullpost

Banging side of tele (When they had a side) fixed 99% of problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

McGaggs wrote: »
    I hear rumours that MS want to get rid of Control Panel even. Can't have pesky users changing settings.

I have a horde of old Motherboards, processors, RAM, PSU's, Disc Drives and cables, one thing that the advancement in internet has which works against MS is a pirated copy of windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8 is very easily obtainable and retains all those features. (Piracy not condoned)

When i think back about it now, using something in the earth slot to push down the pin and open the gates to the live and grounds slots so you could put the two bare cables of the piece of equipment to be used into it then releasing the earth pin which would then clamp the cables in position was absolute madness.

• Advertisement

Changing jumpers on a motherboard or hard drive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Fuuk DRM. Better to stick to the auld pirate bay

New generation is much more used to paying for bytes and pixels than the one before it. The RIAA and that other sueing crowd must be rubbing their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

I posted this in the 70's thread a good while back, but timely enough here too, do you remember the frustrations having to make a long distance call with this yoke.

MDJmNDYxOWE1ZmVmMjVjMjU1NTllNjIwNWZkNWM5NDMkNp3bPKGRLPgp5LsEvT2gaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vY2M2ZWIwOWJmOTUyMzE0ODdjNzliODgxMzE2NzAwZDgwMjMyMzZhOWJhYWMxZGIwYmIyMjMyMGYyMTFjM2FmNC5qcGd8fHx8fHwyMjZ4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

I remember we used to spend saturdays stuffing toilet paper up the return chute so when people pressed button B their money would be blocked.
    We would go around all the phone boxes on way out on saturday evening, take out the toiiet paper, collect our coins and Saturday night paid for.
    Did it during the week too.

Using a physical desktop PC toolkit. Too much trouble for the poor millennial mindset.

Stacking a Hi-Fi with tape deck, radio, amp and turntable.

Spaghetti wiring to contend with but hey they looked great.

http://www.tvfilmprops.co.uk/det/1702/Akai-Silver-Stack-System-Hi-Fi/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I posted this in the 70's thread a good while back, but timely enough here too, do you remember the frustrations having to make a long distance call with this yoke.

MDJmNDYxOWE1ZmVmMjVjMjU1NTllNjIwNWZkNWM5NDMkNp3bPKGRLPgp5LsEvT2gaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vY2M2ZWIwOWJmOTUyMzE0ODdjNzliODgxMzE2NzAwZDgwMjMyMzZhOWJhYWMxZGIwYmIyMjMyMGYyMTFjM2FmNC5qcGd8fHx8fHwyMjZ4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Never knew what the A and B button did. Remember dialling long numbers on the rotary phone and some one would say something to you in the middle of it and you would forget where you were and have to start again.🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'll see your Stacking Hi-Fi system and raise you a Radiogram

1280px-X5683_-_Radiogrammofon_Granada_III_-_Gylling_%26_Co_-_foto_Dan_Johansson.jpg

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Floppybits

iamstop wrote: »
    Was thinking about how I used to carry a big honking Walkman with me every time I was getting a bus to town. Usually a few extra tapes to swap out and sometimes even spare batteries. The ratio volume of what I needed to the minutes of music it could hold is vastly different to nowadays. I just put a 512GB memory card in to my phone.
    Say on average it's 100MB for an album. Can easily fit over 5000 albums on the card and still have room left for the artwork and photos or whatever. The phone is maybe half the volume of a Walkman. Most tapes were 60 or 90 minutes. I'd usually record an album on to tape and then fill the rest of the blank space at the end of each side with random tracks of a similar ilk.

Remember upgrading to a disc man from the walkman. Jaysus the disc man ate the batteries, the strap to go over your shoulder so you bring it with you and any sort of bump and the cd would skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭ablelocks

jaysus i had forgotten about that - myself and my brother rigged up old car speakers, brought wires thru the attic to the kitchen so we'd have multi-room capability.

I rue the day i didn't take the fine sony system from my mother when she was getting rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

1280px-X5683_-_Radiogrammofon_Granada_III_-_Gylling_%26_Co_-_foto_Dan_Johansson.jpg

With stations like "Athlone' listed on the dial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

There she is

533304.jpg

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I don't think people mind.
    I definitely don't miss the stacks of DVDs that I'll never watch again.

I think you're correct that most don't mind; It will result in a lot of "lost media" in the future, as things get pulled from streaming services.

However, one thing that is never pointed out - kids are growing up without passive exposure to the past outside of school - not to mention to things they're not necessarily interested about.

It's very simple: back when I was a kid in the '80s, if our parents wanted to watch that movie from the '50s which was on TV tonight, our choices were simple: watch it with them, or go to bed. Most of the times, we'd chose to watch, if not only to avoid being sent to bed at like 8pm. That would expose us to "how things were before we were around". I remember asking a lot of question - and sometimes having my leg pulled spectacularly by my parents about them (e.g. having me think the world used to be black and white :D ).

You'd see old "operator" telephones, huge, room filling tape-reel (or perforated cards!) operated computers, cars that looked more like an horseless carriage than a Ford Fiesta, a world without airplanes and so on. Not all the time, but you'd have exposure. It wasn't really about knowing "how to fix a valve radio" or how to "drive a Model T", but just about knowing this stuff used to exist and was different from what we use today.

Today, by virtue of "content on demand", people can completely skip over it all. The parents are watching a movie from the 1970s? Their kids will watch PewDiePie on the iPad and so on. They'll see stuff from the past - in school, on history books, usually presented in the most boring, "bite-size" way possible.

I've actually experienced this myself a while ago - I'd basically only watch stuff I would look for, only look for news about things and fields I'd be interested about, only listen to music I already knew and liked. Suddenly, I realized I wasn't really up-to-date with anything, from world events to songs.

There she is

533304.jpg

All of those exotic places and Athlone in the mix.

Up Westmeath or should that read Roscommon....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Vita nova wrote: »
    Visiting or phoning a travel agent to book a holiday or flight.

And to add, the travellers cheques, I think I used to get mine from Thomas Cook on College Green , better rate than the banks at the time, 1987 ish, 1st foreign holiday away to Spain with 10 lads, one broke an arm when drunk on the 1st night, one nearly arrested by the local civil police. Playa Del Ingles, 747 Jumbo jet and pax allowed to smoke .lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Still one of those in the loft here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    However, one thing that is never pointed out - kids are growing up without passive exposure to the past outside of school - not to mention to things they're not necessarily interested about.

It's very simple: back when I was a kid in the '80s, if our parents wanted to watch that movie from the '50s which was on TV tonight, our choices were simple: watch it with them, or go to bed. Most of the times, we'd chose to watch, if not only to avoid being sent to bed at like 8pm. That would expose us to "how things were before we were around".

Only this afternoon, I was thinking along the same lines, and in particular how I learnt an awful lot of "elementary life skills" stuff from my parents, not because they were deliberately teaching it to me, but because it'd come up in conversation as we were doing or watching things together. These'd be all kinds of handcrafts and agricultural practices and basic mechanical principles, and a lot of the time not activities or traditions that my parents were themselves involved in, but that were still quite current during their youth and they'd learnt about them through casual contact in the same way I would a generation later.

And that got me thinking that there must be a whole cohort of young-ish parents - mainly urbanites - who have neither the skills nor the knowledge to pass on to their children simply because even for them the "old ways" are actually quite modern.

There's a great load of stuff you can learn on YouTube, but only if you go looking for it (or stumble into one of YouTube's weird recommendation wormholes). As you say, it's not so much whether or not the information is available, but whether young(er) people today even know that they're not getting "the full picture".

Knowing what a Z80 chip is, and the sanctified eminance it has.

There's a great load of stuff you can learn on YouTube, but only if you go looking for it (or stumble into one of YouTube's weird recommendation wormholes). As you say, it's not so much whether or not the information is available, but whether young(er) people today even know that they're not getting "the full picture".
    Prior to 2017, YouTube encouraged and promoted production of this kind of educational video. Now, Youtube wants to find out has your channel snagged any community guideline - has anyone reported you with a "strike"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Still got a similar setup I bought 40 years ago, silver Pioneer tuner and amp, silver Akai tape deck and Sansui turntable along with a black CD player. All still going strong :)

Advertisement