Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friendly Irish Dead and gone?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

saabsaab wrote: »
    I think we were , Back in the day, at least in the countryside but then it can depend where you go. Some places had a friendly feel other places not. Bit like going into some pubs you pick up on it. You often know if you are welcome or not welcome almost straight away.

When you walk into a pub and everyone there turns around to look at you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Isaabsaab wrote: »
    I think we were , Back in the day, at least in the countryside but then it can depend where you go. Some places had a friendly feel other places not. Bit like going into some pubs you pick up on it. You often know if you are welcome or not welcome almost straight away.

I felt the difference immediately when I moved to Ireland from England as a kid back in the day. Much friendlier. Not only are we losing that but people seem to be happy about losing it. There’s nowt so queer as folk. In Newfoundland, I know if my car breaks down or my snowblower isn’t working, somebody will help me. I am among friends here. It’s a great feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

We're very friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

PsychoPete wrote: »
    "Aaaar we be decent folk in these parts"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

PsychoPete wrote: »

Lol.

When I lived in Dublin in the eighties, I did both illustration work and scenic painting for theater. For my business card I decided on a postcard size which depicted a bunch of people turning around to look at me entering a pub entitled "The stranger".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Ardillaun wrote: »
    I felt the difference immediately when I moved to Ireland from England as a kid back in the day. Much friendlier. Not only are we losing that but people seem to be happy about losing it. There’s nowt so queer as folk. In Newfoundland, I know if my car breaks down or my snowblower isn’t working, somebody will help me. I am among friends here. It’s a great feeling.

Yeah, your Newfies are a great bunch. Great conversationalists, but it also helps that a lot of them are of Irish extraction.

Here's a funky little passage I found about the physical proximity to Ireland...
    Cape Spear, on Newfoundland's Avalon Peninsula, is the most easterly point of land in North America - closer to Ireland than to parts of the Canadian province of Ontario. But, don't believe locals at the Cape Spear lookout who tell you that on a clear day you can see Ireland across the Atlantic.

Advertisement