Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friendly Irish Dead and gone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Edgware wrote: »
    Oh yeah. I remember your photofit on Crimecall
    According to her mother the child had a (track) record of random engagement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

From the other side years ago when our eldest was 4 and his sister a baby we flew to the states. Some poor man got stuck next to us - the four year old talked and talked and talked to the poor man for virtually the whole flight. I couldn’t distract him for any length of time - any time I tried he simply re engaged again. I was cringing. When we landed the man thanked him for keeping him company and insisted on giving him a few dollars to buy himself something nice. I thought it was a lovely gesture for what must have been one long painful flight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    As far back as I can remember, people were putting bags and coats on the spare seat to keep it free. It's nothing new.

One of the highlights of my day is taking the bag off the chair and handing it back to the person that put it there.

Stopping someone from using the seat is the height of ignorance to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

One of the highlights of my day is taking the bag off the chair and handing it back to the person that put it there.

Stopping someone from using the seat is the height of ignorance to me.
    Exactly. A bird told me one time that she didn't want to watch me masturbating. I told her to get a different bus so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Good.

• Advertisement

Travelled from Oviedo to Bilbao in Spain about 2 years ago. Woman beside me wouldn't shut the **** up.

No, I don't support the ira, yes I know about eta, no I don't give a **** about your personal life. Yes my Spanish is poor, i am the one that said it at the very start of this **** show.

See this 10" screen with a movie on it and earphones plugged into it's side? Take the ****ing hint!

So there ya go op, Bilbao has your soul mate waiting

On a funnier (now) note. I went on a lunchtime date many moons ago. All went well and we decided to catch a movie. Original toby maguire Spiderman. Anyway, just us there, place is empty and happy days thinks I. Until a lad with down syndrome strolls in, sits beside me in the entirely empty cinema and proceeds to tell me the entire plot because it's his fifth time seeing it. Made her laugh anyway but not enough for a third date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I started taking the bus regularly about 10 years ago, and even then everyone I know would have called someone a weirdo if they:

1. Sat beside you despite there being free pairs of seats still left on the bus
    or
    2. Began trying to talk to you.

I take it the OP is one of those weirdos and is now disappointed that people have become more overt in not talking to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Exactly. A bird told me one time that she didn't want to watch me masturbating. I told her to get a different bus so

I hear you. Some people have no respect for the wants and needs of their follow transport user.

Celtic tiger killed it and it’s never coming back. Different country now.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭anplaya27

jamesbere wrote: »
    Tourists are fine, they'll just want to know some local info and generally stop talking after a while. But it's the annoying fella that gets on the bus and tries to talk about the most pointless stuff and you have to pretend to take interest.

Headphones are the best thing ever

Nah being Deaf is , noone bothers you then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Remembering eejits talking rubbish to you on the bus as a good thing is a particularly shíte form of nostalgia.

Thank feck for headphones.

It’s not the best example of what phones are doing to younger people especially. The same behaviour occurs at the family dinner table where conversation is a little more important. We are being isolated from each other by these machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I got chatting to a girlie from UK on the train one time about 6 years ago. Exchanged number, texted for few months then agreed to meet in Wales for a weekend. Ended up going out with her for a spell and met up good few times after that. Long distance didn't last but still in touch.

I got chatting to a girlie from UK on the train one time about 6 years ago. Exchanged number, texted for few months then agreed to meet in Wales for a weekend. Ended up going out with her for a spell and met up good few times after that. Long distance didn't last but still in touch.

And your point is?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Make Ireland Safe Again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

And your point is?

He got the ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

Ardillaun wrote: »
    It’s not the best example of what phones are doing to younger people especially. The same behaviour occurs at the family dinner table where conversation is a little more important. We are being isolated from each other by these machines.

Ignoring strangers on public transport is a far cry from what's going on at the dinner table. Though for what it's worth, people losing themselves in their phones when they're at home isn't a good thing.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    He got the ride?
    A few months later and a weekend in Wales. Hardly worth the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Does it cost much to have a few words for someone , maybe some people could do with a bit of a friendly chat ...
    People are donating or running for pieta house etc but hardly say hello to their neighbour . Be better if people were friendly to those they come across than their heads stuck in a phone and headphones on .
    Young people have 2000 friends on Facebook but if something goes wrong in real life they don’t have 3 friends to talk to and end up doing something stupid . If they make talk to people around them they might be better off

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ekerot

A few months later and a weekend in Wales. Hardly worth the effort.

He enjoyed himself and got a good friend out of it, is that not enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

And your point is?

This thread is filled with miserable hoors.

Chat to someone next day you're on the train or bus and you never know where it could lead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,750 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Public transport. The only outlet left for the pub bore.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

I am guilty of this however as I grow older in life / shake off a few bad habits I recognize the importance of the odd hello and stranger connection. After all we are all apes trying to navigate our way on this messed up little planet. Few see it this way anymore. Instagram likes and showing how cool you are on TikTok is now more important as a little chit chat back in day.

But to the original poster, your grandad, his grandfather and his grandfather before him likely had similar feelings and observations on the forthcoming /preceding generation. Little changes in society, be it the invention of the printing press or At Patrick bringing Christianity to pagan Ireland has resulted in where we are at today.

Food shortages, solar flares or an all out nuclear war might swing the young people off their phones, making them realise what's important in life. The little things.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

An overlooked aspect I think is the sheer amount of tourism here which almost lends a permanently transient air to the place, 9 million a year with just under 5 million permanently resident, the modern demographic make up of Dublin as well has transformed it into a sort of Hiberno-London.

Walk down O'Connell St and you're surrounded by people who are only there for a week or two, with the Spar shops worked by Indian or Chinese people and inner city Dubs whom are famously insular by Irish standards milling around with their pushchairs and shopping bags, not saying it's a bad or negative thing, it just doesn't lend itself to an atmosphere where people interact spontaneously.

The more convivial Ireland still exists in places like Killarney or Galway because of the smaller scale and regular festivals that happen there, you could easily get chatting to Canadians, Italians, Germans or Dublin visitors in both places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    As far back as I can remember, people were putting bags and coats on the spare seat to keep it free. It's nothing new.

Yeh, but they were talking to the bag or coat, drunk or mad as they were. Now they're ghosting it. That's his point. I think..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    I am guilty of this however as I grow older in life / shake off a few bad habits I recognize the importance of the odd hello and stranger connection. After all we are all apes trying to navigate our way on this messed up little planet. Few see it this way anymore. Instagram likes and showing how cool you are on TikTok is now more important as a little chit chat back in day.

But to the original poster, your grandad, his grandfather and his grandfather before him likely had similar feelings and observations on the forthcoming /preceding generation. Little changes in society, be it the invention of the printing press or At Patrick bringing Christianity to pagan Ireland has resulted in where we are at today.

Food shortages, solar flares or an all out nuclear war might swing the young people off their phones, making them realise what's important in life. The little things.

The invention of the printing press and bringing foreign religions to specified countries?

Incidentally, is the Internet not ranked up there in terms of big moments as equal to the invention of the printing press in its effects on humanity?

Jesus. What a cynical bunch some of you are. Chat from another human? How horrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

An Ri rua wrote: »
    The invention of the printing press and bringing foreign religions to specified countries?

Incidentally, is the Internet not ranked up there in terms of big moments as equal to the invention of the printing press in its effects on humanity?

Most definitely it is. Society 3.0. what are you getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Got chatting to someone on the train a few years ago.
    As it happened I started a new job a few weeks later and had moved towns.
    I was visiting friends and in walks train person visiting her / my friends. Turned out she was also related to my new boss.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

The absolute double standard of not being willing to say hello to Bridie on the bus, erstwhile telling anonymous strangers all the details of your personal life and innermost convictions daily, on boards.

Advertisement