Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tams less grant on slurry tanker

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭Grueller

straight wrote: »
    I don't know. I'm the same situation as you.

I am trying to convince a neighbour to come halves with me. The grant for me is €10,500 roughly. Tank at €27000 plus vat. is €32,650. That is €21000 after the grant back.
    I have proposed to the neighbour that we share a tank and agitator. He buys the agitator and half of the €21000. I put in the grant and half of the €21000. He needs a tank as his is very shook and only an 1100 gallon.
    I have a six year old 1600 gallon to sell to reduce the costs further.
    If he bites I will go, if not I will stick and go with a contractor for all slurry work and keep my own 1600 for parlour washing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Grueller wrote: »
    I am trying to convince a neighbour to come halves with me. The grant for me is €10,500 roughly. Tank at €27000 plus vat. is €32,650. That is €21000 after the grant back.
    I have proposed to the neighbour that we share a tank and agitator. He buys the agitator and half of the €21000. I put in the grant and half of the €21000. He needs a tank as his is very shook and only an 1100 gallon.
    If he bites I will go, if not I will stick and go with a contractor for all slurry work and keep my own 1600 for parlour washing.

Do not do this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

First thing I did was cracked the two holders off the side arms on my first load. Why am I so arkward. Using a vice grips to get the balls out the last ten years

Turn the balls side ways and you'll take them out with your finger

• Registered Users Posts: 19,248 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

lab man wrote: »
    Turn the balls side ways and you'll take them out with your finger

He might be talking about his own. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭mengele

Just thinking about this myself again tonight.

Surely the chassis mounted dribble bar has to be a better job than the one hanging on the back door???

• Advertisement

lab man wrote: »
    Do not do this

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭westlander

mengele wrote: »
    Just thinking about this myself again tonight.

Surely the chassis mounted dribble bar has to be a better job than the one hanging on the back door???

Has to be. I suppose they are not out long enough to know for sure re the back door ones. I’d like to see a back door one after 15 years of use

• Registered Users Posts: 19,248 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

westlander wrote: »
    Has to be. I suppose they are not out long enough to know for sure re the back door ones. I’d like to see a back door one after 15 years of use

Can they not make one that trails behind the tanker on it's own wheels. Might be hard to make it stable enough maybe.

Or even one that mounts on the front hitch. You'd have difficulty getting the pipe to it safely and securely though I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Can they not make one that trails behind the tanker on it's own wheels. Might be hard to make it stable enough maybe.

Or even one that mounts on the front hitch. You'd have difficulty getting the pipe to it safely and securely though I suppose.

Tank here is set-up to run a injector so is set up to bolt on a 4 point linkage that's run of tractor hydraulics that's the gold standard, but it would add a few grand extra onto a tank instead of the craic of manufactures mounting it of the hatch and upping the price anyways without actually selling a machine that's fit for purpose

Don’t know about a trailer one on wheels but Slurryquip have released a new tanker few months back with front mounted dribble bar. I recall Conor eng had something similar few years back.
    Google Cerberus slurryquip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I like the look of the mid mounted bars, beyond me for a while though.

Do people have much bother with sight tubes? When we changed recently the dealer refused to get one (not that we were fussed) as they were shattering frequently.
    What was the issue - the tubes themselves or faulty blow off valves?

I like the look of the mid mounted bars, beyond me for a while though.

Shots people still bother with sight tubes? When we changed recently the dealer refused to get one (not that we were fussed) as they were shattering frequently.
    What was the issue - the tubes themselves or faulty blow off valves?

Didn’t hear that complaint before.
    They would be handy though to let you know that the tank is filling and not blocked. Handy as well to let you know how much is left in the tank when emptying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Float type indicator seems like it would be a good solution and maybe the cheapest too. Example here from Joskin.

https://www.joskin.com/en/equipment/modulo2/tank-fittings

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Grueller wrote: »

Tbh in spring there will be enough going on so I would go with the contractor. If you and the neighbour use the same contractor ye could link up in giving him work at the same time perhaps.
    Neigbour has an old 1600 gln tanker and a small sprayer, I have a pump/ agitator and the spinner. Contractor with the pipe does 90% of slurry work generally would come to us same day or one day after the next. Similar with bale contractor, doesn't always work out the same days etc obviously but we have a set of double handlers each and would draw in together if there was a good number there.
    We both do all the fert, spinner could be hooked up to either tractor

Going offthread slightly here, but what double handler do you have and how do you rate it?
    We have a nugent and over shortish runs I'd prefer to use a single handler - find it simpler and quicker. I do the wrapping too, so I try to leave the bales in pairs, but you'd still have to lift individually and seeing the twist on them with a single bale you'd not want to be travelling far without the second bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭straight

That's enough about the sight tube for me. I'll do without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Going offthread slightly here, but what double handler do you have and how do you rate it?
    We have a nugent and over shortish runs I'd prefer to use a single handler - find it simpler and quicker. I do the wrapping too, so I try to leave the bales in pairs, but you'd still have to lift individually and seeing the twist on them with a single bale you'd not want to be travelling far without the second bale.

Fleming's. Ours is the one which can tip em on their ends neigbours os the one that tilts up one bale in order back in to pick the other one up, tbh we don't bother with either "knack" so to speak, just pick one up and drop next to the other bale and then back in pick both up again. The one that tilts one side is actually wide enough as well if on a road which has two way traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Its not great protocol to have window open while at slurry.

The porthole type sight glasses can give trouble too in that they come away from the threading. Think the window will continue to stay closed when doing slurry no matter which type is on the tanker 😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Anyone here ever had a tank implode? I never have but it must be some 'bang' when it happens. Also frustrating...bye bye tank...

E mac wrote: »
    Anyone here ever had a tank implode? I never have but it must be some 'bang' when it happens. Also frustrating...bye bye tank...

Hadn’t an implode but did hear a little bang when 2 pin holes appeared under the mudguard this year. Tank is 22 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Had an implode on an old tank. Wasn't any real noise at all. Just a gush of the slurry running back into the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Never had one fortunately but know someone and he said it wasn't that bad. Explosion would be many, many times worse.

Had it here 6 years ago. The tank was 30 years old or so and I thought it couldn't possibly implode there were that many pin holes in it. There was a fair bang out of my one. I had to change the tank and my underpants.

Advertisement