Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate the clock change. I want more light in the evening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

While I agree the the dark evenings are hard to deal with we are actually in 'standard' proper time over the winter.
    When the clocks are put forward in the spring we are entering into a 'false' time sequence for the summer.....

Irish Standard Time is actually what we use in the summer, so instead of changing forward in the spring, like every other country, we change our clocks back an hour in winter time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I wish people would wear high vis clothing when they are out for their jogs and that applies to the morning joggers and evening joggers equally.
    I've noticed that when I leave home on my bike, it can seem perfectly bright so I mightn't bother with the lights on my bike, but once I leave my estate it seems darker because of the lights from cars. The glare from car lights can blind you so it's hard to see anyone who isn't completely lit up to 600 lumens.

I know motorists will just say "Then turn on your lights, wear your hi-viz!" but I hate artificial light when it shouldn't be needed. And it's easier when you're in a car 'cos it's just the flick of a switch, rather than having to wear something specific, that's so garish that it's distracting (although I say this as somebody who struggles to wear anything brighter than charcoal grey).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I like it. Suits me down to the ground, less glare on the tv when gaming. Not a fan of light or heat anyway, so Autumn, Winter and Spring are my favourites, in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Split the difference and leave the damn clocks alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

_Brian wrote:
    Split the difference and leave the damn clocks alone.

Maybe just move it by 30 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Either way daylight is lost in the winter time. Come December 21st there will be approximately 8 hours of daylight from 8.15am to 4.15pm. Not changing the clocks in winter means school kids have to walk to school in the dark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I actually thought it had been agreed the EU were going to do it at one stage, and was due to come in next year? Thought I remember Varadkar, or someone else in government, pouring cold water on the idea because of Northern Ireland. Anyway, I say fúck em and just do it anyway.

We need to do what suits us, like you said, fúck them up north. So they would be on a different time zone for 6 months of the year. Portugal is on a different time zone to Spain. I worked for a company where over half our suppliers were on mainland Europe, the time difference was no inconvenience. As time goes on I'm coming to the realisation that the North is more of a millstone around our neck but like another poster said, that's a whole other argument.

Either way daylight is lost in the winter time. Come December 21st there will be approximately 8 hours of daylight from 8.15am to 4.15pm. Not changing the clocks in winter means school kids have to walk to school in the dark!

How many schoolkids walk to school anyway?????
    Not too many, all I see is mammies dropping of their babies at schools, all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Can't agree. I hate getting up in the dark in the mornings so the longer there is light for that the better.

Not sure what use the extra hour of light is in the evening to most people. It gets dark around half five these days. That's generally your commute home and then you're probably making dinner or doing chores.

Don't get me wrong, I understand wanting more light in the evenings but I think the hour makes way more impact on the start of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

Lets just change the time by half an hour and keep it like that with no more clock changes.. How's that for compromise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Why though? The entire country must suffer early darkness for a certain cohort, is that it?

I get the issue with milking the cows, but put up some lights FGS.

Nothing to do with farmers, cows are milked in the evening too when it is dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

What I don't understand is the timing of the change. Clocks go back about 8 weeks before the winter solstice. But they don't go forward for about 14 weeks afterwards. Keep daylight saving, but move the spring adjustment to late February instead of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Seeing as the world is divided up into time zones with Greenwich as the centre meridian, then we are physically & geographically part of the same time zone as the rest of these islands + Lisbon.

Can we mess with the meridian time zones and move to another? I don't know if it's possible for us to become permanently part of CET.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Interestingly, Spain used to be GMT until Franco came to power.
    He moved forward one hour to allign with Nazi Germany. When he restored the monarchy shortly before his death, they never restored the original timezone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

I prefer it as it is. I like the clock change. It annoyed me when the children were babies but its fine now.

I lived in Finland and in winter it didnt get bright until after 10 where I was. You'd feel it in the mornings commuting in the dark. I try to get out for a walk at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I love it personally but wouldn't bother me if it ended

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I said in the other thread. Whatever system we have now is awful. Long summer evenings and late winter mornings; whatever allows us to achieve that should be what we do.

I don't wake up till about 8.30. What's the story? Is it bright at half 7 or what? Every year people like myself seem to have confusion with what happens. I know we 'gain' an hour in the morning but that coincides with the days getting shorter so does it make much difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,959 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Anyway on 21/22 December we are on the turn. It takes forever though, but it does give hope for a bit of light.

Cannot understand why the clocks don't go back 1 Dec and go forward 1 Feb. Someone will tell me, I know this!

Couldn't agree more. If there's need to change the clocks then those two months (Dec and Jan) are the ones that really need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,959 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I said in the other thread. Whatever system we have now is awful. Long summer evenings and late winter mornings; whatever allows us to achieve that should be what we do.

I don't wake up till about 8.30. What's the story? Is it bright at half 7 or what? Every year people like myself seem to have confusion with what happens. I know we 'gain' an hour in the morning but that coincides with the days getting shorter so does it make much difference?
    If you follow this link you can stick your location into this website and it gives you the sunrise and sunset times each day of the month.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/ireland/athlone

I set it for athlone as it's central. Today's Sunrise at 7:52, sunset at 16:38. It is bright for a while either side of sunrise and sunset though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I like it. Suits me down to the ground, less glare on the tv when gaming. Not a fan of light or heat anyway, so Autumn, Winter and Spring are my favourites, in that order.

or garlic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Why though? The entire country must suffer early darkness for a certain cohort, is that it?

I get the issue with milking the cows, but put up some lights FGS.

Farmers were actually opposed to the idea of daylight saving's time almost everywhere, but people somehow formed the idea they were behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

spook_cook wrote: »
    The EU is the one literally stopping the State from doing so, but all the same it's somehow the UK's fault.

Literally untrue. Clock setting is an agreed process among all EU states. That is how we have every country changing their clocks twice a year on the same date. Choosing which time zone to belong to is a national decision.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I personally love the dark evenings and Winter in general.

Can go to bed early without the birds still chirping outside.
    No expectations from the weather, therefore no disappointment when it's crap.
    Cozy evenings by the fire.

Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I hate the short days. Any poll I've seen always has 80% plus in favour of staying on summertime, but I doubt we'd ever have a government with the balls to make the change, even if the EU recommends it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

spook_cook wrote: »
    "The EU tells us when we've to change our clocks, but we've all the freedom in the world!"

It is a union of sovereign states. It makes sense for some things to be decided in common, while the principle of subsidiarity also applies where appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

During the winter we are aligned with GMT - its during the summer we are GMT+1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I like the one extra hour in bed when the clocks change, for that reason alone it is totally worth it.

I don't mind the darker evenings to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭md23040

Capture1.jpg

What really grinds my gears is the clocks go back end of Oct but don't go forward until the last Sunday of March.

The daylight equivalent of end of October is start of February. Why not put forward start of Feb? Attached is sun rise and sun set for Donegal and this is the darkest place in Europe for mornings because its the furthest West and far North.

Clocks going forward end of March so dumb and makes no sense.:mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I understand wanting more light in the evenings but I think the hour makes way more impact on the start of the day.
    NEWSFLASH not everyone is up and out at the crack of dawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

NEWSFLASH not everyone is up and out at the crack of dawn.

NEWSFLASH Not everyone isn’t. :rolleyes:

Advertisement