Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate the clock change. I want more light in the evening

Options
  • 12-11-2020 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I hate the clock change in October. I hate it. I want an extra bit of light in the evenings. I am going to work when it is dark anyways. Anyone else the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 15,867 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Yep, me too, but we have to suck it up for now. It will be an EU wide decision I think but it makes so much sense to me anyway, but it is a big debate also! Brace yourself.

I doubt we will change anything here due to NI. But we should grow a pair of cojones and just do it anyway. NI doesn't seem too worried about us anyway, but that's another debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

buy a yard light for the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I hate the clock change in October. I hate it. I want an extra bit of light in the evenings. I am going to work when it is dark anyways. Anyone else the same?

Get on to Sean Kelly MEP. He has been pushing for it in the European Parliament for several years.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/arid-40062290.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I agree. Bright morning for no reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

100% agree.

Mornings wind up dark again very soon after the clock change unless you're a very late starter.

Dark evenings turn into dark afternoons very quickly.

Hate it!

Every year as I get older I find it harder and harder, the wall I hit in February gets earlier and earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Dancewithme

elperello wrote: »
    Get on to Sean Kelly MEP. He has been pushing for it in the European Parliament for several years.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/arid-40062290.html
    I think he is a Donald trump supporter. He deleted a tweet about him which proves my point but if it gets me my summer time I will investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It depends where people live, even within Ireland. Everyone wants the clock to suit them. But when there are only about 7 hours natural light for a few weeks it is impossible to defeat nature.

The clock changing should finish, just to cut out the inconvenience. It doesn't matter whether the North is different. Hundreds of millions of people can live in circumstances like that all round the world.

corkgsxr wrote: »

Cannot understand it myself. Must be for the farmers. Would dairy cows survive for an hour or so until it is light out there to be milked? I dunno.

The light mornings don't help anyone, you get up when it's dark anyway, get the kids ready for school with the light on and yada yada, and greet them in the dark later on too. Mad isn't it?

I often wonder if I am missing something profound.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Better for morning jogs.

• Advertisement

The morning light is wasted really apart from the morning joggers (I'm looking at ya YFlier lol).

I really think that our mood would improve with darkness happening at 5-5.30 rather than early afternoon on a dull day like today, but sure what do I know.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Better for morning jogs.
    I wish people would wear high vis clothing when they are out for their jogs and that applies to the morning joggers and evening joggers equally.

Another thing. The dark nights are a signal that Christmas is coming, but with Covid there is not the same optimism about that season now.

Anyway on 21/22 December we are on the turn. It takes forever though, but it does give hope for a bit of light.

Cannot understand why the clocks don't go back 1 Dec and go forward 1 Feb. Someone will tell me, I know this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

corkgsxr wrote: »

School Run, Construction, Any other outdoor related Works. If the clocks didn’t go back, it wouldn’t get bright until 10am in the middle of winter. That’s the reason.

School Run, Construction, Any other outdoor related Works. If the clocks didn’t go back, it wouldn’t get bright until 10am in the middle of winter. That’s the reason.

So what. They use lighting on sites, schools have lightbulbs too. Every problem has a solution. Same issue applies at 4pm surely. So just need to turn it around a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Another thing. The dark nights are a signal that Christmas is coming, but with Covid there is not the same optimism about that season now.

Anyway on 21/22 December we are on the turn. It takes forever though, but it does give hope for a bit of light.

Cannot understand why the clocks don't go back 1 Dec and go forward 1 Feb. Someone will tell me, I know this!

If you can live with a 10 month clock, it's not much of an ask to make it 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

So what. They use lighting on sites, schools have lightbulbs too. Every problem has a solution. Same issue applies at 4pm surely. So just need to turn it around a bit.

Winter mornings are bad enough without it not getting bright until 10am. Most outdoor works are from 7am to 4.

Winter mornings are bad enough without it not getting bright until 10am. Most outdoor works are from 7am to 4.

Why though? The entire country must suffer early darkness for a certain cohort, is that it?

I get the issue with milking the cows, but put up some lights FGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

While I agree the the dark evenings are hard to deal with we are actually in 'standard' proper time over the winter.
    When the clocks are put forward in the spring we are entering into a 'false' time sequence for the summer.....

While I agree the the dark evenings are hard to deal with we are actually in 'standard' proper time over the winter.
    When the clocks are put forward in the spring we are entering into a 'false' time sequence for the summer.....
    I wonder if the country would be happier if we went with the false time sequence for a year or two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I actually thought it had been agreed the EU were going to do it at one stage, and was due to come in next year? Thought I remember Varadkar, or someone else in government, pouring cold water on the idea because of Northern Ireland. Anyway, I say fúck em and just do it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭raclle

I want them to actually go forward an extra hour. Most of Europe is in a false time sequence anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Other than the school run, the total length of daylight doesn’t change. Perhaps that has escaped you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I'm fine with it, rather have the brighter morning. Better for getting kids to school and weather usually poor enough that extra hour makes little difference in the evenings.

For the summer I'd go 2 hours forward :D

I actually thought it had been agreed the EU were going to do it at one stage, and was due to come in next year? Thought I remember Varadkar, or someone else in government, pouring cold water on the idea because of Northern Ireland. Anyway, I say fúck em and just do it anyway.

Absolutely. They don't give a fig about Covid spreading either up there or down here, and refuse to align with us or do anything to reduce Covid. F them. And SF are silent on this too, it's not just DUP.

What a failed Province. Sorry, I know that is a whole other debate. woops.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Yes, it's idiotic. We'd have light til around 5pm in the depth of winter, which is already early, never mind bloody 3.30 - 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Other than the school run, the total length of daylight doesn’t change. Perhaps that has escaped you?

Why exclude the schools run?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

L'prof wrote: »
    National school kids get driven to school.

Secondary have to cope with darkness in the afternoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I agree.

why can't we just go to work later in winters?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

L'prof wrote: »

Because schools start at a fixed time.

Advertisement