Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The John Delaney Story (RTE One)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

Dayo93 wrote: »
    It's on rte player

I have problems accessing RTE Player (and also find it horrible to use!!) so was hoping to take the easy way out and just catch it on repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,283 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

coL wrote: »
    I have problems accessing RTE Player (and also find it horrible to use!!) so was hoping to take the easy way out and just catch it on repeat.

They repeated it the night after on RTE1.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

They repeated it the night after on RTE1.

Thanks, but that’s not much good to me now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Thought it ended very abruptly with little analysis.

Rte themselves had him on tv enough back in the day.

Nothing new in the documentary

• Registered Users Posts: 81,283 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

coL wrote: »
    Thanks, but that’s not much good to me now :rolleyes:

Yes can never understand repeating the night after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AngryLoner

The feckin 'CHEEK of RTE running this when they were falling over themselves to promote him on all their terrible chat shows :mad:

As for that Barry Egan and the Sunday Indo....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Media have a lot to answer for. Everyone in both football and media circles knew Delaney was dodgy, yet nobody called him on it. What CEO appears on chat shows? And as for this nonsense - I’m surprised the Indo haven’t taken it down. Shameless ‘documentary’.

https://m.independent.ie/videos/highlights/john-the-baptist-part-1-30565080.html

Dunphy was a great man for sucking off the FAI expense tit through trips, shindigs and piss-ups and buttering up Delaney.

Only did the old switheroo when there was so much writing that you couldn't see the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭HBC08

glasso wrote: »
    who is actually employing him and for what?

The only way I see him being useful is if like the Frank Abagnale guy (inspired "Catch me if you can") that he advises companies on fraud from the point-of-view of being a complete fraud himself.

We only have the bitter remarks of his auld fella ( another shameless chancer) that he is making the big bucks in London.
    London is a big city but its also full of Irish.I imagine a quiet word would be had in the ear of any company considering employing him.
    He always said he was turning down bigger offers than what he was rewarding himself from the FAI,I guess we'll see know if that was true or not
    Hint,I suspect the latter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I haven't read the book and wouldn't know all the ins and outs of the JD story but this felt very much like a cliff notes rush through his story. It was speedily edited, particularly through the early section, and never really settled into being a really in depth account of all the corruption that went on. While it was worth a watch for someone like me, it was very much an rushed intro off the back of Champagne Football, and a wasted opportunity to really go through the archives and have a more meatier documentary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭obi604

I haven't read the book and wouldn't know all the ins and outs of the JD story but this felt very much like a cliff notes rush through his story. It was speedily edited, particularly through the early section, and never really settled into being a really in depth account of all the corruption that went on. While it was worth a watch for someone like me, it was very much an rushed intro off the back of Champagne Football, and a wasted opportunity to really go through the archives and have a more meatier documentary.

fair enough, but the main message I got from it was that John Delaney and Co are a shower of absolute pr1cks and should be thrown in prison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭dublin49

I would suspect the details around the 300K paid out for the John Giles Foundation is symptomatic of all that was wrong with JD's tenure and this episode has received no mention in both tv programmes ,maybe because of legal action.anyone know more?

dublin49 wrote: »
    I would suspect the details around the 300K paid out for the John Giles Foundation is symptomatic of all that was wrong with JD's tenure and this episode has received no mention in both tv programmes ,maybe because of legal action.anyone know more?

FAI paid 300,000 to a mate of Delaney (Con Martin) for coming up with the idea of a sponsored walk!
    The initial thrust of The Sunday Times article was thus: "The FAI paid €300,000 to a friend of John Giles for coming up with the “concept” of the John Giles Foundation, its fundraising walks, and a kit-purchasing idea."

https://www.otbsports.com/sport/john-giles-foundation-statement-899317

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭dublin49

stinks to high heaven,300k for an idea.when the league of ireland league winner gets 100k for a season,

dublin49 wrote: »
    stinks to high heaven,300k for an idea.when the league of ireland league winner gets 100k for a season,

Classic Delaney. What an absolute scumbag.

Going on other arrangements I wonder if some of that could have possibly ended up with Delaney himself

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/payments-to-delaney-s-former-girlfriend-could-prove-key-to-potential-prosecution-1.4353884
    former girlfriend, Susan Keegan, which are likely to be central to any potential prosecution of the association’s former chief executive.

Keegan is recorded by the FAI to have been paid some €95,000 by the association between 2012 and 2014.

The Dubliner, who now lives in Spain, has acknowledged receiving just €10,000 of that and the report, by Newry-based accountancy firm Kosi, found that substantial amounts ostensibly paid to her quickly found their way into Delaney’s personal bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

glasso wrote: »
    FAI paid 300,000 to a mate of Delaney (Con Martin) for coming up with the idea of a sponsored walk!

https://www.otbsports.com/sport/john-giles-foundation-statement-899317

Then they tried to flog the idea to UEFA.

Ffs, how innovative.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Stanley 1

Revenue rightly went after the FAI who coughed up pronto and paid penalties, FAI should have an easy case to demand return of said monies and penos from Delaney, just send him a solicitor's letter with major threat of bankruptcy, would greatly help if ODCE case was finished and Delaney on his knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Stanley 1

Delaney was always bothered he never got rewarded for getting the 5m off Blatter and set about writing golden handcuff schemes, loyalty bonuses, anything he could think off up to about 3m, having passed the 5m to the building fund account, really a net 2m.

Advertisement