Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The John Delaney Story (RTE One)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

screamer wrote: »
    Working in the uk I believe

Pub work or on the buildings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,430 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was he the last of the untouchables in sport in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Working in the uk I believe

Labouring on the buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭obi604

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    And making lots of money according to his auld fella. Almost a Fcuk you to the FAI.

Apparently he is doing some management consulting work there. No doubt bluffing away.

For f00k sake.

M

Says it all really....
    image.jpg

Says it all really....
    image.jpg

Yeah. Delaney deserves to be pulled from a hotel room or 5 grand a month rental in the middle of the night and f00ked in to prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

The bit that stuck with me is that the FAI paid his ex, a crèche/Montessori teacher, 96k and 25k ended up in Delaneys bank account.

Stop and think about that.

If there’s not a clear cut crime in there, I’m Donald Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

Pity they didn’t interview Roy, he seemed to have him sussed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Icsics wrote: »
    Pity they didn’t interview Roy, he seemed to have him sussed!

Before he saw € signs and did a u-turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,513 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I’d bet they weren’t bought in Dunnes either

Or Penneys or Guineys

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭jams100

You'd wonder how delaney is still walking the streets, if that was you or i we'd be certainly be in prison by now. Unfortunately this just sums up this country zero accountability

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RyanDrive

Foes anyone remember what the song that played over the end credits was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Having just finished the book "Champagne Football today", none of the programme was news, but its still baffling how he was able to get away with so much, for so long.

The people who worked with him behind the scenes have cases to answer to, for letting it get so out of control.

M

jams100 wrote: »
    You'd wonder how delaney is still walking the streets, if that was you or i we'd be certainly be in prison by now. Unfortunately this just sums up this country zero accountability

What you really have to ask is who was signing off on the accounts each and every year and additionally how the government was providing so much public funds to them unchecked.

The one that really shocked me was the €3m severance package, which was signed off by 2 on the board, yet the rest of the board knew nothing about.

In any company would that be able to happen?

Also, it appears the FAI was on the verge of bankruptcy since around 2010, how come all the auditors doing their books didn't flag anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Does anyone remember what the song that played over the end credits was?

Those Were The Days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

NIMAN wrote: »
    The one that really shocked me was the €3m severance package, which was signed off by 2 on the board, yet the rest of the board knew nothing about.

In any company would that be able to happen?

Also, it appears the FAI was on the verge of bankruptcy since around 2010, how come all the auditors doing their books didn't flag anything?

He consolidated the big power over the accounts with Murray and Cody. Murray was only half with it and Cody a loyalist. Completely pulled the wool over the rest of the board with that sneaky 3 million deal.

Deloitte have a massive case to answer also for failing to spot red flags or investigate thoroughly in their audit fieldwork. They held the gig for a very long time and I find it hard to believe in all those years they never questioned the governance structure and carried out tests on the controls in place. Like everything hardly appeared hunky dory to them as they probed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Deloitte have a massive case to answer also for failing to spot red flags or investigate thoroughly in their audit fieldwork. They held the gig for a very long time and I find it hard to believe in all those years they never questioned the governance structure and carried out tests on the controls in place. Like everything hardly appeared hunky dory to them as they probed.

Deloitte did an audit in a company I once worked for and they raised red flags around access that people had to folders on a shared drive a few months after they moved role. Yet somehow they can miss John Delaney giving the fai a 100k loan, the fai paying 80k for his birthday party, 10s of thousands in unexplained credit card expenses - makes no sense.

Deloitte did an audit in a company I once worked for and they raised red flags around access that people had to folders on a shared drive a few months after they moved role. Yet somehow they can miss John Delaney giving the fai a 100k loan, the fai paying 80k for his birthday party, 10s of thousands in unexplained credit card expenses - makes no sense.

Makes a lot of sense when you consider how this country works.

Kind of sums up this country, they try for months and months to get Delaney to answer questions, he comes in reads out a statement basically sticks his middle finger up and says he won't answer questions then you have the likes of Michael the exact type of person who was backing Delaney as he was handing out the €5,000 cheques to local clubs. Comes in and doesn't even ask a question but just reads out a glorifying statement. YET, he gets re elected :confused:

• Advertisement

Kind of sums up this country, they try for months and months to get Delaney to answer questions, he comes in reads out a statement basically sticks his middle finger up and says he won't answer questions then you have the likes of Michael the exact type of person who was backing Delaney as he was handing out the €5,000 cheques to local clubs. Comes in and doesn't even ask a question but just reads out a glorifying statement. YET, he gets re elected :confused:

Delaney and the Healy-Rae's are flies from the same steaming pile of shtye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Looking forward to 5 years time when a similar documentary looks at what happens people who do what JD did.

so where is the whole thing left now?

Is Delaney free and will never get reprimanded or does it have to go through 6 tribunals before he can be touched?

obi604 wrote: »
    so where is the whole thing left now?

Is Delaney free and will never get reprimanded or does it have to go through 6 tribunals before he can be touched?

Very little will happen is my guess. Lots of bluster, lots of talk but ultimately nothing.
    This is one of the reasons why we have major issues in this country. So many investigations going on and so many news cycles to keep them quiet

John Delaney himself was laughing at Healy Rae ffs.

Absolute jokers himself and Danny. He'd be lovebombing Trump right now if it got him a hotel down in Kilgarvan.

kippy wrote: »
    Very little will happen is my guess. Lots of bluster, lots of talk but ultimately nothing.
    This is one of the reasons why we have major issues in this country. So many investigations going on and so many news cycles to keep them quiet

Did he actually do anything illegal though?

I'm no legal eagle, but proving that is what will get him in trouble.

Just spending money you hadn't got isn't illegal afaik. He will have to be seen to be falsifying accounts etc.

Just spending money you hadn't got isn't illegal afaik. He will have to be seen to be falsifying accounts etc.

Apparently his girlfriend received 85k and 25k of that made its way back to john delaneys account thats what could get him in trouble, thats mazars report was sent to the gardai and odce, but that was at the end of June. Hopefully he sees jail even if its only for a few months but I'm not holding my breathe

If you read enough and watch enough about what has gone on over the past 2 decades you'd be hard pressed to make the conclusion that everything that happened was above board.
    Yes, proving it is the issue - but again, I'd say that there are likely to be very few repurcussions for JD coming out of this.

On the other hand it's hard to see how the guy could hold his head up and work for other people after all that has happened but it appears he is being employed at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

I read this thread with some feeling of despair.

Everything, Delaney was paid and spent, as CEO, had to be approved by the board. As a Director of a Board myself I am well aware of my responsibilities to act with knowledge and responsibility. The CEO does not set his own salary. The CEO does not approve their own expenses. These matters are approved by the board. Where the CEO uses funds without approval then the CEO is culpable. Where the board approves an activity or payment then the board carries responsibility.

The CEO does prepare and submit accounts to the board for approval and it is the boards job to interrogate such accounts before approving. Any decent board requires an experienced legal person plus an experienced accounting person.

The FAI has a long history of people on the board with limited Director experience. The FAI is not unique in these shortcomings and the 2014 companies act was brought in to deal with irresponsible directors.

Pointing the finger at Delaney is missing the bigger picture. There are plenty of would be CEO's lining up to take advantage of weak boards and, more despairingly, weak boards are, far too often, not an accident.

If you read enough and watch enough about what has gone on over the past 2 decades you'd be hard pressed to make the conclusion that everything that happened was above board.
    Yes, proving it is the issue - but again, I'd say that there are likely to be very few repurcussions for JD coming out of this.

On the other hand it's hard to see how the guy could hold his head up and work for other people after all that has happened but it appears he is being employed at the moment.

Narcissism and delusion. I doubt he sees he done anything wrong at all.

• Advertisement

boege wrote: »
    I read this thread with some feeling of despair.

Everything, Delaney was paid and spent, as CEO, had to be approved by the board. As a Director of a Board myself I am well aware of my responsibilities to act with knowledge and responsibility. The CEO does not set his own salary. The CEO does not approve their own expenses. These matters are approved by the board. Where the CEO uses funds without approval then the CEO is culpable. Where the board approves an activity or payment then the board carries responsibility.

The CEO does prepare and submit accounts to the board for approval and it is the boards job to interrogate such accounts before approving. Any decent board requires an experienced legal person plus an experienced accounting person.

The FAI has a long history of people on the board with limited Director experience. The FAI is not unique in these shortcomings and the 2014 companies act was brought in to deal with irresponsible directors.

Pointing the finger at Delaney is missing the bigger picture. There are plenty of would be CEO's lining up to take advantage of weak boards and, more despairingly, weak boards are, far too often, not an accident.

Ah yeah, for sure. There is massive board culpability as well. And I am sure that will be a big part of his defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,887 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder if Healy Rae was on a few boards that John Delaney gave €5k too when he was down Kerry way.

The Healy Rae family does seem to have its fingers in the pots of a lot of organizations down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭robwen

Apparently his girlfriend received 85k and 25k of that made its way back to john delaneys account thats what could get him in trouble, thats mazars report was sent to the gardai and odce, but that was at the end of June. Hopefully he sees jail even if its only for a few months but I'm not holding my breathe

Did I pick this up right she was a Montessori teacher & got paid 85k by the FAI & she had no idea why or knew nothing about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

He was an ugly flute and because of the money was riding Emma ? and she was living the dream like any blond bimbo. Its all gone now and shes back in a 2 bed semi looking for the next budgeen with a few bob. Its great press. Best of luck Johnno, a chip off the ould block, the ould lad was a dodgy dealer also. Yup there the Deise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

Liamo57 wrote: »
    He was an ugly flute and because of the money was riding Emma ? and she was living the dream like any blond bimbo. Its all gone now and shes back in a 2 bed semi looking for the next budgeen with a few bob. Its great press. Best of luck Johnno, a chip off the ould block, the ould lad was a dodgy dealer also. Yup there the Deise.

Heard she’s been driving around in a Ferrari. Hardly in a 2 bed semi with a Ferrari on the drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭ElBastardo1

robwen wrote: »
    Did I pick this up right she was a Montessori teacher & got paid 85k by the FAI & she had no idea why or knew nothing about it

He didn't do anything illegal? He was taking cash out of the FAI credit card for years. Business expenses are one thing, his behavior with the company credit card was outrageous and would have had tax implications. He is in for a bumpy ride (hopefully) in regards to these issues.

The ex getting huge cash payments should get him into another spot of bother. I'd say Revenue are getting the saddle ready, as they are going to ride him into next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

KaneToad wrote: »
    But a very apt summation of the character of the man (Healy Rae, that is).

The man has the morals of a sewer rat and the beady dead eyes of a great white shark.

who is actually employing him and for what?

The only way I see him being useful is if like the Frank Abagnale guy (inspired "Catch me if you can") that he advises companies on fraud from the point-of-view of being a complete fraud himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

Does anyone know if/when this is going to be repeated? Missed it on Monday ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Dayo93

coL wrote: »
    Does anyone know if/when this is going to be repeated? Missed it on Monday ��

It's on rte player

Dayo93 wrote: »
    It's on rte player

I have problems accessing RTE Player (and also find it horrible to use!!) so was hoping to take the easy way out and just catch it on repeat.

M

I have problems accessing RTE Player (and also find it horrible to use!!) so was hoping to take the easy way out and just catch it on repeat.

They repeated it the night after on RTE1.

They repeated it the night after on RTE1.

Thanks, but that’s not much good to me now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Thought it ended very abruptly with little analysis.

Rte themselves had him on tv enough back in the day.

Nothing new in the documentary

M

Thanks, but that’s not much good to me now :rolleyes:

Yes can never understand repeating the night after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AngryLoner

The feckin 'CHEEK of RTE running this when they were falling over themselves to promote him on all their terrible chat shows :mad:

As for that Barry Egan and the Sunday Indo....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Media have a lot to answer for. Everyone in both football and media circles knew Delaney was dodgy, yet nobody called him on it. What CEO appears on chat shows? And as for this nonsense - I’m surprised the Indo haven’t taken it down. Shameless ‘documentary’.

https://m.independent.ie/videos/highlights/john-the-baptist-part-1-30565080.html

Dunphy was a great man for sucking off the FAI expense tit through trips, shindigs and piss-ups and buttering up Delaney.

Only did the old switheroo when there was so much writing that you couldn't see the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭HBC08

glasso wrote: »
    who is actually employing him and for what?

The only way I see him being useful is if like the Frank Abagnale guy (inspired "Catch me if you can") that he advises companies on fraud from the point-of-view of being a complete fraud himself.

We only have the bitter remarks of his auld fella ( another shameless chancer) that he is making the big bucks in London.
    London is a big city but its also full of Irish.I imagine a quiet word would be had in the ear of any company considering employing him.
    He always said he was turning down bigger offers than what he was rewarding himself from the FAI,I guess we'll see know if that was true or not
    Hint,I suspect the latter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I haven't read the book and wouldn't know all the ins and outs of the JD story but this felt very much like a cliff notes rush through his story. It was speedily edited, particularly through the early section, and never really settled into being a really in depth account of all the corruption that went on. While it was worth a watch for someone like me, it was very much an rushed intro off the back of Champagne Football, and a wasted opportunity to really go through the archives and have a more meatier documentary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement