Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Keano wrote: »
    Why not start with the coach? His game has gone off the boil and the one thing that hasn't changes is Bannon?

Bannon has been isolating in Ireland for most of the year.

McIlroy pretty much coachless all year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭bustercherry

frink wrote: »
    Followed up with another bad one on 14 and looked like a rushed chip for another bogey.

I've always defended Rory but he needs to change up something and I would definitely start with the caddie.

I hope he finishes well and bounces back this afternoon. Conditions seemed perfect for him but he is one of the only 'top' players over par at the moment

I'm confused, bad drive on a hole where the play is driver and a bad chip. The caddy doesn't take the shots.

It's the execution is the problem not the shot selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Why not start with the coach? His game has gone off the boil and the one thing that hasn't changes is Bannon?

Maybe not having Bannon available to him is the problem. Wonder has bannon been on the range with him at all this year?

He hasn't won a major in 6 years but don't think he has been a real contender in one either apart from the Masters when Reed one. Happy to be corrected on that.

I still think when is he in the zone, there is very few better than him. It just feels like those times are slipping away

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Bannon has been isolating in Ireland for most of the year.

McIlroy pretty much coachless all year.
    Not ideal prep so for a stab at the grand slam!

Anyway back to the leaders!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

Just tuned in and great that we seem to be getting full coverage of the end of Rd 1. Thought it would only be featured groups and the like

• Advertisement

Quietly confident its gonna be a fantastic Masters anyhow. Pretty much all the big boys hovering plus Tiger & Phil and even Bernard Langer for the nostalgia factor!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,616 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mickelson's short game is still wonderful at 50 years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

What?
    Bannon made him
    I dont think he could be that treacherous

It's his head.
    It's always been his head.

And his putting
    He has worked with Paul Hurrion. He has worked with Dave Stockton. He has worked with Phil Kenyon. He has worked with Brad Faxon.

Wedges have been a problem for 5 years now.

He's in the water on 16 now.............

Talked about how his golf game felt good in The Masters press conference on Wed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

CMcsporty wrote: »
    What?
    Bannon made him
    I dont think he could be that treacherous

It's his head.
    It's always been his head.

And his putting
    He has worked with Paul Hurrion. He has worked with Dave Stockton. He has worked with Phil Kenyon. He has worked with Brad Faxon.

Wedges have been a problem for 5 years now.

He's in the water on 16 now.............

Talked about how his golf game felt good in The Masters press conference on Wed.
    Welcome to Augusta!

Welcome to Augusta!

If only he talked rubbish just at Augusta!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I picked fritelli Wolff and Fitzpatrick so happy so far, but once they get the greens super dry it’s a different course

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Lovely opening round from Tiger. Looked in total control of his swing.

He had some bad issues controlling the spin on wedges towards the end, but so nice to watch him swing within himself, especially from the tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Van rooyen withdrew

Langer making a holy show of a lot of these young fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

McIlroy has been really poor

El Sueño wrote: »
    McIlroy has been really poor

Nice chip though.

Is there anything more obnoxious about the masters than "Fore please"?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭moycullen14

One of the advantages of no 'patrons' is you get a much better sense of the course layout - especially the slopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

What a brilliant round from DJ. Coasted to -7. Best player on the planet at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

I think the low sun helps in showing the green contours too. Rory isn’t making the cut tbh. Got to love Langer, he’s smashing his spoon and long irons in to these greens. Amazing job by the amateur Augenstein to finish 3 under after his start he looked petrified

I think the low sun helps in showing the green contours too. Rory isn’t making the cut tbh. Got to love Langer, he’s smashing his spoon and long irons in to these greens. Amazing job by the amateur Augenstein to finish 3 under after his start he looked petrified

If the scoring continues you must be looking at -2 or -3 as the cut, especially with no 10 shot rule. Rory needs 67 minimum IMO probably 66.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

One of the advantages of no 'patrons' is you get a much better sense of the course layout - especially the slopes.

It’s the first year they’ve allowed pictures from the air aswell madly enough but yes makes a difference for viewing

GreeBo wrote: »
    Langer making a holy show of a lot of these young fellas.

I wonder is he the oldest person ever to shoot a 68 in the opening round at Augusta?

Morrison J wrote: »
    What a brilliant round from DJ. Coasted to -7. Best player on the planet at the moment.

I hope he wins this.....
    NO sorry. Tiger! I hope Tiger wins. 730 tonight tee time
    Love it!

I've a feeling we are going to see different greens for the second round.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

The new camera angles and drone shots are excellent. Really getting more appreciation of the actual slopes around the greens.

Just so frustrating watching Rory. He hit two bad drives on his first 18 and cost him two shots at a crucial time. But it’s his irons which are deplorable.

Terrible on 1, 4, 10, 11, 16 ( that was actually pathetic) and even 17 and 18 weren’t great.

Probably do his RP thing from last year now and shoot 65 second round.

Very good insight there from McGinley as to what happened to McIlroy on 16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Pity about McIlroy just hasn't been his year since Covid.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

DJ is a great frontrunner, I'm expecting him to go low again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Jesus they didn't give DJ and Rory much of a break between rounds there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Earlier, McGinley said it will be unlikely if Fritelli is still there at the top come Sunday.

I wonder would he be so dismissive if it was Fleetwood or Casey of feckin' Tyrrell Hatton (whom hit the water two holes in a row and they entirely ignored).

Advertisement