Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eight gardaí suspended in Munster region over allegations of corruption

Options
  • 08-11-2020 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭

Nice to see something is being done about it anyway. Looks to be centered around road traffic offences and the local GAA. Solid day to drop a bad news bomb.
    The probe is focused on claims that gardaí did not pursue Garda enquiries into alleged road traffic offences and public order allegations against a number of parties.

“Further to an ongoing investigation led by the Assistant Commissioner, Special Crime Operations (SCO), involving personnel attached to the Garda National Bureau of Criminal Investigation (GNBCI), eight members of An Garda Síochána have been suspended,” a Garda spokesman said.

“This element of the investigation is focused on corruption in public office.“

“As this is an ongoing investigation, An Garda Síochána will not be commenting on the rank or the location of the members of An Garda Síochána who have been suspended,” the spokesman added.

Last October, mobile phones and documents were seized from a number of gardaí, as well as GAA players and officials.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/gardai-suspended-munster-corruption-5259863-Nov2020/

GAA players and officials?
    Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,839 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Eight Gardai suspended in Munster, seems to be some link to GAA...

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eight-gardai-suspended-amid-corruption-allegations-1031086.html

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Acosta

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Here we go again

Who would have thought this would happen again like? Maybe it has something to do with all of them previously at it getting off scott free.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,502 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Great to see the Gardai weeding out the bad apples from their organisation.
    Fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

The guards are doing brilliant work in some parts of the country with huge drug finds etc in recent times , I’d know it’s not right quashing motoring offences but quashing a speeding fund for prominent local people was always going on and never overly bothered people , it’s the bigger stuff that’s been ignored or facilitated .
    Always amazes me how big drug seizures aren’t happening in some towns that are awash with drugs . It doesn’t take Einstein to work out who is selling drugs in most towns but many are at it years unhindered ?? Makes the public very disappointed and disillusioned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭malinheader

Gardai doing favours for people with GAA connections.
    What's strange about this. All perfectly normal practice.
    Don't know why people should be surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Pillars of the community

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The GAA is like the worlds most public secret society.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

"Someday, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me"
    Don Corleone

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

I hope and presume that if any of them are found guilty of any sort of corruption they are sacked from the Gardai and lose any pensions etc. that are associated with the role.

There are alot of dodgy Gardai out there and Gardai themselves will tell you that, needs to be zero tolerance when it comes to any wrongdoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

LuasSimon wrote:
    The guards are doing brilliant work in some parts of the country with huge drug finds etc in recent times , I’d know it’s not right quashing motoring offences but quashing a speeding fund for prominent local people was always going on and never overly bothered people , it’s the bigger stuff that’s been ignored or facilitated . Always amazes me how big drug seizures aren’t happening in some towns that are awash with drugs . It doesn’t take Einstein to work out who is selling drugs in most towns but many are at it years unhindered ?? Makes the public very disappointed and disillusioned

Watch Narcos on Netflix. Drug cartels work with the police to traffic drugs. Police line their pockets and Narcos give them a few raids and arrests every so often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

They should, when and if found guilty, be named and shamed and their pensions removed but that's not going to happen.

Anyone who is even slightly surprised at any of this is a fool.
    I'm willing to bet this is only a very small percentage of the illegality our so called police are guilty of.

Their sense of entitlement and above the law attitude needs to be weeded out.

We shall have to endure public statements on rte about the rank and file being mainly great lads and 99.9% aren't corrupt cnuts ..... Likely some covid frontline spiel also. Nothing will happen the 0.1% of course or the handful caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

“If they knew who I was, they wouldn’t even have stopped me”....... yet those Gardai had discretion, and these don’t, what’s the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

with regard to the usual "take their pension off them" rant, people need to realise that (a) it's illegal because the pension is not solely owned by the State (b)it's not allowed because the wife or kids may need to have that pension as their sole income so they can't be punished for the alleged sins of the father/mother (c) their pension contributions are their own and may not be touched. All you can do is fire the offender and give him his contributions back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

Suspended....on full pay no doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

thegills wrote: »
    Watch Narcos on Netflix. Drug cartels work with the police to traffic drugs. Police line their pockets and Narcos give them a few raids and arrests every so often.

The closet a Garda would get to Narcos of the local dealer slipping him a free joint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭opfleet

Why is there such an obsession with the Gardai in this country? Any time, some negative headline comes out, a thread is created. We don't see the likes for any other profession..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭cml387

Inevitable Line of Duty clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,961 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

opfleet wrote: »
    Why is there such an obsession with the Gardai in this country? Any time, some negative headline comes out, a thread is created. We don't see the likes for any other profession..

8 serving police suspended.
    And we arent allowed to comment?

Thats not an obsession.
    It should be headline news.
    Thats a sign of a healthy transparent democracy.

If 8 county council officials were suspended for turning blind eye to planning breaches by GAA players it would also be newsworthy.

Come back to us when you have an actual argument worthy of consideration and not this pathethic shameless and transparent failure at whataboutery.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Say it ain't so Krusty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,772 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This. Is. Major.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

when i read this today, i googled it also and read that of three senior Garda who got nicked for something a while back, one a Superintendent,had reached retirement age, retired and was not now facing charges as a bent Garda,because he was no longer a Garda.
    this reminds me of being told ,years ago ,that no serving Garda had ever been charged with something dodgy ,as they were always given the chance to retire before being charged. hence ,no serving Garda charged, side benefit ,pension intact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Acosta

At least there appears to be some interest in the current hierarchy of AGS to rein in the cowboys within the Guards, because clearly politicians going back years won't go near the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Edgware wrote: »
    "Someday, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me"
    Don Corleone

What are you looking for tickets for the Hogan stand in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

opfleet wrote: »

I presume because .....

Dog bites man = No story
    Man bites dog = Story

Police apply law = no story
    Police don't apply law =Story

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

The GAA is like the worlds most public secret society.

A certain player called Ronan O' Gara had his penalty points quashed.
    I know of virtually every high profile player, hurling and football, in Munster and this name does'nt ring any bell.
    Indeed a very 'secret society' :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Why do we tolerate this? Why do we just sit home and not rise up? Beyond disgusting how much we willingly put up with. I lose more and more faith in our society every day. We allow rampant corruption and incompetence without consequence.

The_Brood wrote: »
    Why do we tolerate this? Why do we just sit home and not rise up? Beyond disgusting how much we willingly put up with. I lose more and more faith in our society every day. We allow rampant corruption and incompetence without consequence.

bit of an overreaction, maybe

or, to answer yr question: because we have a better society and better lives than 95% of the rest of the world and 99% of people historically

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

LuasSimon wrote: »
    The guards are doing brilliant work in some parts of the country with huge drug finds etc in recent times , I’d know it’s not right quashing motoring offences but quashing a speeding fund for prominent local people was always going on and never overly bothered people , it’s the bigger stuff that’s been ignored or facilitated .

Some of them are doing brilliant work. Some of them are doing good work. Some are doing average work. Some are doing bad work. And some are being investigated for criminal activity.

Doing favours for 'prominent' people does bother me. Why would you do it unless you want something in return?

Glad to see it being weeded out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Odhinn

They should, when and if found guilty, be named and shamed and their pensions removed but that's not going to happen.

Anyone who is even slightly surprised at any of this is a fool.
    I'm willing to bet this is only a very small percentage of the illegality our so called police are guilty of.

Their sense of entitlement and above the law attitude needs to be weeded out.

They've been given far too much leeway over the decades. They need to be held to transparent account.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement