Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish butter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Yikesoc wrote: »
    I have done but there should be no issue with me or indeed anyone calling out this sort of behavior on thread. A wider audience must see that it's not tolerated or accepted by all. Happy to leave it there now and to move on.

The quote you found questionable is from a Kerrygold ad

• Site Banned Posts: 31 Yikesoc

Brian? wrote: »
    It was a joke about an old Kerry gold add, where a French fella used that line. It wasn’t racist at all.

Shock horror, but what was acceptable back then doesn't meant it was't racist. It just means we accepted it. But not anymore. We cannot continue to endorse and endure racist stereotypes, it doesn't matter that the poster was rehashing a quote from another media. It's still wrong.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Shock horror, but what was acceptable back then doesn't meant it was't racist. It just means we accepted it. But not anymore. We cannot continue to endorse and endure racist stereotypes, it doesn't matter that the poster was rehashing a quote from another media. It's still wrong.

Are you for real? It wasn’t racist then, when a French lad said it. It isn’t racist now when used as a reference.

What stereotyping was done? Malaysians are clueless about butter?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Here’s he ad in question:

https://youtu.be/aSkQij6lGJ4

How they stereotype French people as always wanting to help with dinner!!!!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Boards may aswell shut down AH if cancel culture and nit picking is going to become the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Darc19 wrote: »
    I think you need to check your maths

€3.50 kerrygold
    €2.09 tesco

About 35% cheaper.

For it to be 1/4 the price it would have to be 88c

Kerrygold butter only uses milk from dairy farms in certain areas whereas other irish butter will use milk from the entire island.

So for the person who has good taste buds, they will find a substantial difference.

I didn’t realise Kerry cows produced superior milk than Offaly cows. My apologies.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Yikesoc - you have said your piece - now you are dragging this thread WAY off topic. That's the end of it now or you will be thread-banned.

Do not respond to this on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Copying someone's accent is racist now??? I guess all those impressionist comedians are screwed so! Bonkers.

46 Long wrote: »
    All salted butter has the same ingredients as Kerrygold.

The Tesco and Dunnes own brand stuff is very nice but it's a bit saltier and not as creamy.

Actually the Tesco own brand butter is made in Cavan, & it is the only butter with less salt then the others made in the same creamery

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

Brennan's wholegrain bread toasted, kerrygold butter, raspberry jam, god damn delicious.

My aunt used to give us toast with kerrygold when I was young, couldn't understand how her toast was way nicer than any other toast I ever tasted, we used kerrymaid or that kind at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

When we were kids - we ate what was put before us - with virtually no sweets or other snacks. There was homemade bread and butter though. To this day butter is still my favourite food. Can't stand those oily crap highly processed spreads or the stuff masquerading as butter in the uk and elsewhere. I would like to be embalmed in butter when I kick the bucket ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

We make the best butter in the world but Nutella instead of butter is the wise mans choice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Love the Brittany sea salt butter but high blood pressure restricts my intake unfortunately.

• Site Banned Posts: 31 Yikesoc

*Mod Snip*

Yum, I love butter. Slathered on to a chip butty, don't even spread it. Let it melt into the chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Kerrygold and Irish butter generally is fantastic, but to be fair to our French cousins they make a decent butter or two too!

Unfortunately, a lot of other butters seem to taste closer to Vaseline than butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

£1.90 over here for the small block. I had to travel to Morrisons today to grab some as my tesco stopped selling it.

French butter is meant to be decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's has to be called out. Saying nothing only promotes this type of behavior

Wow, you must be fun at parties.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

There is some very good irish ghee available now too. Game changer for curries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

That's racist.

It's not racist and I will be long dead and cold in my grave before you or anyone else convince me otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

sugarman wrote: »
    *Millhouse likes this post*

There was even a song about it

(From the Flaming Lips’ official YouTube channel)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I give you Lurpak, Danish butter which can rival any Irish butter, especially when spread over Scottish Pride toast. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

LOVE Irish butter. My mother used tell me I ate too much of it.

We spent a lot of time as kids on the continent due to my folk's work and I remember turning my nose up at the unsalted butter on offer. I would actually eat it now but nothing beats Kerrygold!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I give you Lurpak. Danish butter which can rival any Irish butter, especially when spread over Scottish Pride toast. :)

You'd expect so seeing as they're fond of the butter cookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Greyfox wrote: »
    We make the best butter in the world but Nutella instead of butter is the wise mans choice

I dunno I wouldnt fancy my spuds with chocolate spread melting into them!

Is there such a thing as goat butter?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

igCorcaigh wrote: »

I think it's something all goats do...

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Probably.

Even if all the dairy cattle on the planet expired tomorrow, no way would I want butter made from goat milk.

I’d rather just give up toast and spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Irish butter is class.

I do love the Normandy/Brittany butter with the salt crystals in it. Lash it on to a fresh baguette (when on the annual holiday to France)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Bandon butter is the best IMO.

Where can I get Irish ghee? My Rogan Josh would appreciate it I think.

• Advertisement

Bandon butter is the best IMO.

Where can I get Irish ghee? My Rogan Josh would appreciate it I think.

This is the one i used.

Given by a friend, I'll find out where she got it.

EDIT: Holland and Barret.

Makes great fried potatoes too.

https://www.nourish.ie/p/happy-butter-organic-ghee-300g/hbgm001

Advertisement