Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Seems to be a hell of a lot of mobility issues going around. In my village, it seems to be mainly builders and farmers that have to park two (or more) wheels on the pavement on double yellows opposite the centra, as they can't walk the 20m from actual (and empty) parking spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I couldn't give a **** how they parent to be fair, not my problem, unless they are promoting anti-social behaviour that does impact on me/mine.

However to the point - I'd suggested it once or twice in conversation (you know that thing people do outside boards.ie) with neighbours I'm friendly with and meet daily... That have no mobility issues... Nor their kids have... That it'd be nice to have a group walking/cycling to school to take pressure off everyone each morning. Give the kids some independence, and then when they are 8 (schools rule for unaccompanied travel) they can do the journey themselves. All you need is 1 or 2 parents now to mind several kids on the walk not every parent every day.

Their kids are all for it as they get to hang out with friends and mess before school on the way. The parents think it's too far for kids to walk/cycle, too dangerous, too wet, too cold, too tiring, too much hassle, too long etc etc etc

Jesus, a rotating car pool of 2 cars for 7 kids who live within 20m of each other would be better than 7 cars each making a return route of 4k and adding further congestion to the M50 link road for nothing other than pure laziness and convenience.

My point that clearly went over your head is nobody has time to do walk/cycle because they are too busy, yet will happily crawl through traffic and spend multiples of that time for a short local journey, or wouldn't consider the idea of 1 morning where they walk and get the other 4 back when another parent takes the group. That is what is bonkers.

And so you don't think I'm a raging hypocrite, yes I also drive that journey on occasion such as only this morning when it was pissing down which makes it the 2nd day since Sept I think.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I do the school run every day and my amazement about it has yet to abate. It's like Einstein's definition of insanity, everyone piling into their cars and then getting frustrated because it's utter gridlock. Then when it rains it's twice as bad and every little residential road around the school is rammed, cars abandoned everywhere.

Was tipping rain on Tuesday when I was picking mine up and one mother told me she'd arrived 40 minutes early to try find a parking spot. And the mad thing is that you can't park on the school grounds and there's limited parking directly outside them, so there's a lot of people driving down to effectively drive their kids halfway home, i.e. by the time they walk to the car, they're halfway home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

part of the problem is the ridiculous weight of stuff kids have to bring to school - schools could help by providing lockers; book publishers could help by not putting the entire junior cert syllabus into one enormous book that kids then have to carry into school every day for 3 years.

Even with many schools now using iPads/tablets teachers often insist that kids bring the book in as well in case there's a problem with the tech, so now they're carrying all their books, and an iPad. Plus sports gear and any other stuff they need for extra-curricular activities. I've tried encouraging mine to cycle but their objection is that it's too awkward with a 15kg schoolbag, hockey bag, guitar or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Qrt

I agree, primary is ok but secondary is a joke, I finished up in 2016 and my books were a joke, my uncle finished in 1998 and I found his books in the attic, they were a third of the weight.

Baskets would help a lot but then there’s the added stigma around them…god help us all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

For a basket you'd need a dutch-style bike with a solid basket anchored to the forks. taking my son's enormous school bag as an example, you could possible bungee it to a back rack but it would be difficult to get it secure and not moving around (and most kids are riding MTBs that can be tricky to put a rack onto).

The kids I do see cycling to school just have a bag on their back - I suspect they're more organised than he is in terms of which books they bring on each day, which they leave in their lockers etc. It's just one aspect though - if there were proper cycle lanes for accessing the school people might put a bit of time into thinking of how best to setup their bikes for schoolbags, but without them they just go, feck it, we'll drive.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't know. Mine, for now at least, have their books in school and only bring home ones they need for homework, so most of the time it's only their lunches in their bags. Even if the bags were heavier, I could just fire them in the back of the bike trailer.

Not denying that heavy schoolbags aren't a problem for some kids, but driving them in a car seems like overkill and probably creates more problems than it solves.

A lot of the time people seem to be very binary in their thinking, it's either walk or car and other alternatives are never even considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Funny how the needs of people with mobility issues aren’t such a big priority when it comes to not parking on the footpath.

Mine in secondary school can Generally, they can carry sports gear in their bags when they have the Ipad, and they don't have every subject anyway. One of mine dropped their Ipad, and while waiting for the replacement, the weight of the bag was ridiculous compared to with it. But teens being teens, they were too lazy to empty out the books they didn't need. At primary, they only brought home the books for homework.

Plenty of adults insist on backpacks rather than going pannier racks too, to be fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

My favourite corner in the world. If you'd angled it to the left you'd probably have gotten the 'taxi rank' outside the Goblet, which is just the footpath but cars constantly pull up, and blocks off the entire path. And anyone in a wheelchair or with mobility issues has to go out onto the road, or try get up a high kerb with no ramp to go around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Also the little cottages across the road, people just park their cars right outside them on the footpath.

Is Bus Connects going to widen the bus lane along here does anyone know?

Yeah there's CPOs for a significant part of all the front gardens on both sides of the road, and most of the area in front of the Goblet and the bookies/motor factors

has planning permission been granted? when are they supposed to start construction do you know?

Application was only submitted back in April for it, obviously had a ton of objections already (including the cottages).

All details etc up on the website the NTA have created for it Home - BusConnects Dublin - Clongriffin to City Centre (clongriffinscheme.ie)

wow, cycle track all the way, I assume it's segregated. I still think bus lanes are pointless without enforcement though.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

yup i can confirm. have the little darlings no legs?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The irony of people bringing up mobility issues not realising that the suggestions help those with mobility issues who genuinely need others to not block up the road or the limited car park spaces.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Seems that some Sandymount residents don't want a return to two-way traffic on Strand Rd once the water mains work has completed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

There were dire predictions that if Strand Road was restricted, the surrounding streets would be choked with traffic,.... but it hasn’t happened – the traffic has dissipated.”

Who'da thunk it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭cgcsb

A bout of communal amnesia

Surely this can count as the trial to see if the whole world falls apart if its made one way? The whole thing is so ridiculous.

If this stays like this it should be a no brainer to keep it one way

Any update on Deansgrange? The representatives that were all for the graveyard "solution" over 1 way, are now backing away from that and going to vote it down last I read!?!

They don't have the balls to do either so I'd imagine they'll do nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

True, but at least now there's a load of actual data instead of FUD which means its pretty much a certainty to be made permanent at some point in the not too distant future

Not sure why you would say "pretty much a certainty", when the handful of locals who have taken this particular action are a tiny minority even locally.

Strand Road is an important regional economic route, that won't change.

It has been referred to An Bord Pleanála for an EIS direction.

It seems a distant memory now, but I could've sworn a certain other route could have been spared a protracted drama, if the local authority in that case had simply done the same in the first place.

The name of it escapes me now...

• Advertisement
Advertisement