Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nations cup November 2020 GENERAL THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

If a scrum half has to take a step when passing, its going to be too slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

This is a pretty woeful performance all things considered. It's going to be another game where we look at the stats, see all the possession and territory we had and wonder how the hell did we not manage to capitalise more on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

Stockdale's execution has been poor today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭swiwi_

We've become very unimpressive. No sign of any connectiveness in possession and we've lost the ability to break down teams through a varied phase play game.

We have no composure and I think there is a real lack of confidence throughout the squad. We're trying to play a brand of rugby we don't have the players for and given the nature of the modern game we should take the fact that we can't poke consistent holes in the Georgian defence as a sign that our attacking game is neutered and ineffective.

Whatever happens over the last 20 minutes, it's clear to me that Ireland are at sea and aren't adapting to life post Schmidt under this coaching system. It won't happen for a while but I suspect we are on the road to needing a change at the top of the setup. I feel like the provinces would be taking a bigger cut out of Georgia here than Ireland are.

Number 1 problem is injuries to ringrose and henshaw. The 2 midfielders today are in the international journeyman category imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭leakyboots

CJ has been everywhere today, constantly looking for work. Nice hands there with Daly

This second half has been woeful viewi g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

This is dire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

We've become very unimpressive. No sign of any connectiveness in possession and we've lost the ability to break down teams through a varied phase play game.

We have no composure and I think there is a real lack of confidence throughout the squad. We're trying to play a brand of rugby we don't have the players for and given the nature of the modern game we should take the fact that we can't poke consistent holes in the Georgian defence as a sign that our attacking game is neutered and ineffective.

Whatever happens over the last 20 minutes, it's clear to me that Ireland are at sea and aren't adapting to life post Schmidt under this coaching system. It won't happen for a while but I suspect we are on the road to needing a change at the top of the setup. I feel like the provinces would be taking a bigger cut out of Georgia here than Ireland are.

The issue today is Georgia are putting everyone in the line because like last week were refuse to kick the ball in behind, it’s obvious that this was the message at half time as they are doing it even more this half and yet we continue to run down blind ally’s. What sums it up is we have had more tries disallowed than scored, we didn’t put them away in the first half when we had the chance and now they are making life difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

The most worrying thing about this is that there doesn't seem to be any plan of evidence of what direction Ireland are trying to go. It's all well and good giving a new coach time to implement their philosophy but what's worrying is after a decent chunk of games it's still not clear what that philosophy is.

Farrell was appointed as a continuity selection for a regime that did not end well. I think there's going to have to be discussions on whether it's time to bite the bullet and bring in a new coaching team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Heaslip - "I'm happy with how this game has gone"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Georgian 12 has played well today. Won a turnover penalty and actually stopped CJ dead in his tracks earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thefridge2006

How bad are Ireland , Stockdale and Heaslip? My good god

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It doesn’t matter about the difference in quality between any two sides, if you’re the perceived stronger team having a back line sitting deep going side to side will be easy to defend for any half decent team, amateur included.

It’s not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Under Joe we were always really efficient against tier 2 teams. This is unfortunately what it looks like when an average team (ourselves, Scotland, Wales, France in recent years) plays the likes of Georgia.

leakyboots wrote: »
    Heaslip - "I'm happy with how this game has gone"

I hope he explains why on his podcast.

Ryan was absolutely driven backwards by their center.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Christ I though the commentary yesterday on Amazon for Wales England was bad but this takes the cake.

Ireland are absolutely dire and Georgia are the much better team in second half. You wouldn't think so listening to these clowns. To be fair Hamilton is a soccer commentator but the other guy is a joke.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Number 1 problem is injuries to ringrose and henshaw. The 2 midfielders today are in the international journeyman category imho.

Ireland don't have the playing pool of other nations but if 2 players can make you look ordinary against Georgia then the problem is wider than just those injuries.

I'm generally very reluctant to point fingers at the coaching box but this is shockingly poor. I admire that Heaslip is trying to be diplomatic but we're underperforming the provinces here and not by a small margin.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,265 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Refs been terrible for both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In don't care which Irish 23 this is, if they're good enough to be starters for their provinces, they're talented enough to be better than this.

Is it the game plan, or lack of? Is it decision making in the red zone?

Whatever it is, 3 points against these guys between minute 35 and minute 75 is me b0ll1x.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭griffinlee

I'm so depressed. Lockdown AND watching this absolute muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Like I’ve said, we’ve allowed this to happen by not putting Georgia away in the 1st half, we’ve given them something to prove in the 2nd half and that’s what they’ve done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

griffinlee wrote: »
    I'm so depressed. Lockdown AND watching this absolute muck.

At least lockdown shows signs of ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Ireland don't have the playing pool of other nations but if 2 players can make you look ordinary against Georgia then the problem is wider than just those injuries.

I'm generally very reluctant to point fingers at the coaching box but this is shockingly poor. I admire that Heaslip is trying to be diplomatic but we're underperforming the provinces here and not by a small margin.

Have to agree. Farrell is a good 4th choice centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

sydthebeat wrote: »

He's constantly terrible. How do such incompetent refs keep getting international games?

What’s to admire for that though? He’s patronising the viewer.

sydthebeat wrote: »

I don't ever remember a ref being so exact on where the mark is.

• Administrators Posts: 53,554 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It will be hard to find reasons to excuse this utter dross.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭StevenToast

This is the worst Irish performance since last week

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thefridge2006

Stockdale is absolutely phish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Why is Farrell continuing with the Stockdale at 15 thing?

Stockdale as a wing was part of the grand Slam side and scored one of the best ever Irish tries in the victory over the All Blacks.

He's a joke at full back though. As Matt William said Campo was a great wing but a ****e full back.

Why is Farrell playing him out of position like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,065 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Ref giving Georgia nothing, very quick on the whistle

Advertisement