Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Ficheall wrote: »
    It's been ridiculous on that front for quite some time - the other side were accusing the "doom-mongers" of getting turned on when the case numbers went up.

With each iteration of the thread you find there's more crap to sift through to get the balanced posts and reported numbers.

If you question a pub opening you get labelled a doom monger who enjoys the misery, and if you even slightly a limited and safe pub opening, you're a granny killer..

Granted some people aren't doing themselves any favours with chosen language, but lads, you can wanna keep pubs closed and still care about the economy, and you can alternatively want to go for a couple of pints, while also being mindful of your Granny, there's a spectrum of opinion...

...although, I would question why no-one cares about Grandads.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Of course NPHET care so much about the elderly they moved patients from the hospitals to care homes without screening them.
    NPHET or the Government?

As NPHET couldn't have actually done that, did they make a recommendation that is what the government should do?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ok might be a stupid question.
    The restrictions on intercounty travel are likely to go for a short time on the 18th...
    I am based in dublin...I want to get to co down to see my sister etc. Not seen them since start of the year.
    My partner works in healthcare...they have to complete form to say no one in their household has travelled outside of Ireland...if they have he is out of work for 2 weeks...does the north count or not I wonder?

With each iteration of the thread you find there's more crap to sift through to get the balanced posts and reported numbers.

If you question a pub opening you get labelled a doom monger who enjoys the misery, and if you even slightly a limited and safe pub opening, you're a granny killer..

Granted some people aren't doing themselves any favours with chosen language, but lads, you can wanna keep pubs closed and still care about the economy, and you can alternatively want to go for a couple of pints, while also being mindful of your Granny, there's a spectrum of opinion...

I think pubs should be allowed to open (food or not) but opperate in the same way a restaurant would.

Table service, seated only.
    IMO its the max capacity everyone on top of each other squeezing past to get to the bar for an order stuff that should be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

seamus wrote: »
    Well, this is unexpected.

Yesterday's swab data has been revised.

The number of positive swabs is the same, but the number of tests has been increaed by 50%.

There were 12,439 tests carried out yesterday, 271 positive, giving a p-rate of 2.18%. 7-day rate is now down to 2.65%

So what was confusing and slightly worrying, is now in fact excellent news.

this stinks. is there a link or anything to have a look?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Like the pub narrative, the assumptions are equally tiresome.

It's an assumption based on recent experience.

We're opening up again with a high enough positivity rate, over the christmas period and with the seasonal effects of the virus getting worse as it grows colder.
    That's the plan.

We're going against the expert advice and simply repeating much of what we did before. I've yet to see one argument made about how this time it's going to be different.

It's as sure as night follows day that we're going to start seeing steadily rising cases. Who knows at what rate, but at some point the hospitals are going to come under pressure again and we'll be forced into more harsh restrictions and the same ****ing circular arguments with the likes of yourself.

How do you spend so much time on here and not understand any of it? What's the story? You don't seem particularly dense, is it that you're just not arsed learning?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

NPHET or the Government?

As NPHET couldn't have actually done that, did they make a recommendation that is what the government should do?

Holohan said there was no need for nursing homes to stop letting visitors into the homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I think pubs should be allowed to open (food or not) but opperate in the same way a restaurant would.

Table service, seated only.
    IMO its the max capacity everyone on top of each other squeezing past to get to the bar for an order stuff that should be avoided.

I completely agree. Granted, I won’t be going to one personally, but I think the issue is people are arguing over different things.

Some think open pubs = “Sweet Caroline” scenes from March in every pub in the country, others see a few pints with a few friends. So when the latter ask “what’s wrong with that?”, the former think pubs packed to the rafters is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Not sure why the need for :rolleyes:

People making their own informed decisions was the 2nd option in my post. There's pros and cons to that, like everything, but cons are when looking at the situation from a higher level.

sorry I didn't mean your post - sorry if that was misleading.
    It's my frustration with the government and NPHET not considering this crazy concept

gmisk wrote: »
    Ok might be a stupid question.
    The restrictions on intercounty travel are likely to go for a short time on the 18th...
    I am based in dublin...I want to get to co down to see my sister etc. Not seen them since start of the year.
    My partner works in healthcare...they have to complete form to say no one in their household has travelled outside of Ireland...if they have he is out of work for 2 weeks...does the north count or not I wonder?

The north can not count. A large % of workers in Altnagelvin hospital in Derry are from Donegal and live in Donegal, also a good few staff are from Derry but live in Donegal. Also the Erne hospital in Enniskillen has a number of cross border staff.

Some of the agency nurses work both in the north and in the south, and also some of the consultants.

Meanwhile 3-4 planeloads from the US arrive in Ireland every day, plus however many from the UK.

• Advertisement

Holohan said there was no need for nursing homes to stop letting visitors into the homes.

That does not equal
    they (NPHET) moved patients from the hospitals to care homes without screening them

So, I ask the same question again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It's an assumption based on recent experience.

We're opening up again with a high enough positivity rate, over the christmas period and with the seasonal effects of the virus getting worse as it grows colder.
    That's the plan.

We're going against the expert advice and simply repeating much of what we did before. I've yet to see one argument made about how this time it's going to be different.

It's as sure as night follows day that we're going to start seeing steadily rising cases. Who knows at what rate, but at some point the hospitals are going to come under pressure again and we'll be forced into more harsh restrictions and the same ****ing circular arguments with the likes of yourself.

How do you spend so much time on here and not understand any of it? What's the story? You don't seem particularly dense, is it that you're just not arsed learning?

Firstly the cexperts have shown themselves more than capable of not being infallible. I 'm sure I don't need to cite examples.
    Lastly to the final part of your comment the time I spend commenting here is irrelevant and frankly nothing got to do with anything I say. As for learning, I find questions are equally important to the learning function. You seem intent on placing expert advice as being beyond reproach and that is your right just don't be so arrogant to feel you have the right to expect others to do so to.

Well an expert suggested placing grandad by an open window, excellent idea in Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

A foolish choice, even at the time, for sure, but most people have learned things since March, when your account wasn't even a twinkle in your eye.

A foolish choice, even at the time, for sure, but most people have learned things since March, when your account wasn't even a twinkle in your eye.

Do you think the experts here were not aware of what was happening in Italy in February and what demographic was most at risk?
    That foolish choice cost many lives yet the individual who stated nursing homes should not act unilaterally is still in situ.
    In the private sector do you feel such a devastating piece of advice would be without consequences?

Do you think the experts here were not aware of what was happening in Italy in February and what demographic was most at risk?
    That foolish choice cost many lives yet the individual who stated nursing homes should not act unilaterally is still in situ.
    In the private sector do you feel such a devastating piece of advice would be without consequences?
    I wasn't suggesting it was not a staggeringly awful and dumb thing to do..

Edit: Sorry, on phone, missed part of that.

I don't know, tbh. Yes, I feel that decision made by Tony and every other country that let it into their care homes was a grave error in judgment. If they had a good replacement, I would be happy to have had them in instead. I am still happier Tony was "in charge" than I would have been for pretty much any of our politicians. It would depend on whom they replaced him with. Glynn seemed decent for his part.

I wasn't suggesting it was not a staggeringly awful and dumb thing to do..

In the absence of knowledge a defence could be made, the scenes played out in our nursing homes were on our screens earlier from Italy however.
    No attack on you btw, apologies if you think there was .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Great to see the IT publishing an opinion piece lambasting the non-data based advice from NPHET and the mob who surround them with respect to pubs.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/anti-alcohol-zeal-of-public-health-experts-peppers-reopening-debate-1.4420492

Some great quotes which are perfect to describe the hystertics around pubs;

All true. I think alot of the posters on here against the pubs opening would have argued the same thing before covid. They don't strike me as the social type.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

And yet here we are, with blanket rules and lockdowns. I'm not sure they've shown the public that they've learned much at all.

Retail being closed is just mind boggling. Whatever about restaurants/pubs etc. which there is an obvious argument for. Retail should never have been reclosed.

D.Q wrote: »
    All true. I think alot of the posters on here against the pubs opening would have argued the same thing before covid. They don't strike me as the social type.
    Ah now. I went to the pub once every week for about four hours pre-covid, and I do miss it. Just not so much that I'd want to risk catching covid by returning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

At this point, I am truly baffled at people defending some of NPHET's recommendations.

People I know who work in medicine, Doctors, people who work in Nursing homes...All disagree with a lot of their recommendations. They make the point to me that Holohan gets too much grief but, they disagree with the recommendations they propose!
    Then I log on here and there's hysterical posts about people, who want restrictions eased, are responsible for killing others?

Ah...It's like a trip into the Twilight Zone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Renjit wrote: »
    Time to put my tin foil hat while going through last few pages

Thank god Boards is an outlier for society and most people are sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

ElJeffe wrote: »
    Thank god Boards is an outlier for society and most people are sensible.

I agree, way too many pearl clutchers on here, people in the real world are a lot more sensible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Nermal

eagle eye wrote: »
    So what about people who are working and don't want to be around people going to places like pubs and the likes? Are they supposed to give up their jobs?

Yes, absolutely. If you cannot tolerate risk, bear the consequence of your attitudes. Stay at home, don’t interact with others, order your shopping online. If that means giving up your job, so be it.

It’s the height of selfishness to offload the cost of your risk aversion onto others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

El Sueño wrote: »
    I agree, way too many pearl clutchers on here, people in the real world are a lot more sensible

No i meant the tin fil hat brigade. Lack of responsibility is unreal. Everything is someone else's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,965 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Nermal wrote:
    It’s the height of selfishness to offload the cost of your risk aversion onto others.
    It's also.the height of selfishness to go around carefree spreading the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Because everyone who spreads the virus intends to do so.
    What a ridiculous comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,965 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Because everyone who spreads the virus intends to do so. What a ridiculous comment.
    Ok then, it's the height of selfishness going around carefree. Dies that suit you better?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Ok then, it's the height of selfishness going around carefree. Dies that suit you better?
    Doesn't redeem yourself, maybe apologise for painting everyone who has been affected by this terrible virus like a rampant virus spreader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its also selfish to expect everyone to alter their behaviour to suit your risk-appetite.

Quite sick of people on the more pro-restriction side calling others selfish and not realising that quite frankly everyone is acting within their own self interests (as they always do). You aren't some beacon of altruism.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement