Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

With schools open, majority of workplaces open, the lockdown fatigue, lax travel restrictions and the omni shambles that is the HSE contact tracing it's quite unlikely our cases arebnever going down to 50-100.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,965 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How many deaths, the date rate is not even 1 percent. The nunber of ico admissions is also way longer than it was initially. The treatments are way better than it was at the start so the scaremongering really should stop
    It's not scaremongering it's projections based on fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

We will the country go into a harsher lockdown come January/February imo. Something akin to last March and not what we are seeing at present which hasn't gone far enough.

Bleak few weeks ahead im afraid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Again, the economies needs far outweigh our own needs

The economy would probably be better off with a steady state rather than open up and close for another level 5 lockdown.

Vaccines are close enough we shouldn't have to go back to level 5 if we keep a level of restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's not scaremongering it's projections based on fact.

Projections that they nphet have gotten hugely incorrect consistently over the last six months and more so it is scaremongering and false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

If you are going to make that claim let's hear a detailed explanation.
    Also do you want to hop in a car and go around the country and pick out who dies? Because you and all those who don't care about covid running wild are going to be responsible for many deaths.

There are and have been for a long time very very few people dying of Covid fortunately. If you or your loved ones are at risk please take the necessary precautions. But, please don’t expect the rest of the country to take unnecessary precautions on your behalf.

ElJeffe wrote: »
    We will the country go into a harsher lockdown come January/February imo. Something akin to last March and not what we are seeing at present which hasn't gone far enough.

Bleak few weeks ahead im afraid.

Lockdowns like March won’t happen again, there simply isn’t public buy in.

Absolutely. It's pretty clear level 5 had no impact on the reproductive rate. Level 3 plus did all the work. That's what the data tells us. A shocking error by NPHET which has done a huge amount of unnecessary damage. And, not for the first time in his career, no admission of a mistake or an apology from Dr Tony.

Agreed, but it’s not really Tony holohans fault the government went along with his ridiculous restrictions. Thankfully the public had the good sense to give the thumbs down to level 5 this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Agreed, but it’s not really Tony holohans fault the government went along with his ridiculous restrictions. Thankfully the public had the good sense to give the thumbs down to level 5 this time round.

Reckon they will only even more so now. No doubt Tony and co will be screaming for some version of martial law to impose discipline on the reckless peasants

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭fits

I really wishe they’d keep the gyms, pubs and restaurants closed. Pay them to stay shut imo. Everyone would prefer safer household visits to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

fits wrote: »
    I really wishe they’d keep the gyms, pubs and restaurants closed. Pay them to stay shut imo. Everyone would prefer safer household visits to that.

Christ.who’s “everyone”?

Btw are you a gym user? You want them shut so you can explain why that’s the case? I assume you have the stats?

Projections that they nphet have gotten hugely incorrect consistently over the last six months and more so it is scaremongering and false.
    Where did I mention NPHET?
    I've got a mind if my own which can look at data and make reasonable predictions. I don't need a science or medical degree to do that.
    I gave projected figures in late August for early October which were correct. That's the only time I've done that here, it's in one of these covid threads..

The main focus of this is on super spreaders, and kids according to that study are super spreaders and a huge part of the spread in the home.
    So they pick it up it school then spread it around the home.

You are leaping to conclusions not made in the study. The studies I linked actually concluded that schools are not a major driver of spread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

More people are suffering because of the restrictions than because of Covid.

There are and have been for a long time very very few people dying of Covid fortunately. If you or your loved ones are at risk please take the necessary precautions. But, please don’t expect the rest of the country to take unnecessary precautions on your behalf.

There's too many dying, there's too many suffering from long covid and long covid doesn't just pick out old people and people with underlying conditions either, there are people who were asymptomatic suffering from long covid.
    Also we've been lucky in this country to have had lockdowns before it took a real hold. We have never went through what they did in Italy, Spain and France.
    If you are your ilk get your way we will get to the level of those countries but you'll just turn the other cheek then and blame everyone else when the real truth is you'll be responsible for deaths.

That's what the argument has been about and I'm delighted that you agree with me.
    Schools do contribute to the viral spread.
    Period.

Who said they dont?

I love how arguments develop here where people refute points that were never made and then think they are the dogs bollocks. The argument has always been that schools don't drive spread, not that they are not involved in spread. What happens in school reflects what is happening in the community. If we are controlling what is happening in the community, schools are fine

You are leaping to conclusions not made in the study. The studies I linked actually concluded that schools are not a major driver of spread
    What do.you mean I'm hoping to conclusions?
    What I said is in the study I linked.

Have you a problem with that study.

And those you linked to are just argumentative with nothing conclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

There's too many dying, there's too many suffering from long covid and long covid doesn't just pick out old people and people with underlying conditions either, there are people who were asymptomatic suffering from long covid.
    Also we've been lucky in this country to have had lockdowns before it took a real hold. We have never went through what they did in Italy, Spain and France.
    If you are your ilk get your way we will get to the level of those countries but you'll just turn the other cheek then and blame everyone else when the real truth is you'll be responsible for deaths.

Have you a link to all these long covid cases other than outliers that you have recovering from most viruses?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭fits

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Christ.who’s “everyone”?

Btw are you a gym user? You want them shut so you can explain why that’s the case? I assume you have the stats?

The gym is a risky environment. It just is. Sorry. It’s not anyone’s fault. It helps no one when cases rise and we have to shut things down again.

Have you a link to all these long covid cases other than outliers that you have recovering from most viruses?
    I don't have a link to numbers for long covid, it's a similar number to deaths.
    The facts f the matter is it doesn't just attack old people and people with underlying conditions.

• Advertisement

What do.you mean I'm hoping to conclusions?
    What I said is in the study I linked.

Have you a problem with that study.

And those you linked to are just argumentative with nothing conclusive.

Your conclusion:
    The main focus of this is on super spreaders, and kids according to that study are super spreaders and a huge part of the spread in the home.
    So they pick it up it school then spread it around the home.

is not contained anywhere in the study. It concludes that super spreading causes 80% of cases, and kids can be superspreaders. Not anymore so than adults

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The gym is a risky environment. It just is. Sorry. It’s not anyone’s fault. It helps no one when cases rise and we have to shut things down again.

Gyms are indeed risky but no more risky then pubs. I really miss my group workouts with the fitness class I regularly attend. Even speaking with a client yesterday who said he had gotten into a great routine meeting friends for football and he’s put on loads of weight and been isolated a lot.

Haven’t heard anything about whether cinemas as opening yet. All the people desperate for a pint are being catered for in the name of “COVID fatigue”, it’s a shame everybody else whose life doesn’t revolve around a pub is left searching the Internet to see what non drink related activities will be accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Drumpot wrote: »
    Gyms are indeed risky but no more risky then pubs. I really miss my group workouts with the fitness class I regularly attend. Even speaking with a client yesterday who said he had gotten into a great routine meeting friends for football and he’s put on loads of weight and been isolated a lot.

Haven’t heard anything about whether cinemas as opening yet. All the people desperate for a pint are being catered for in the name of “COVID fatigue”, it’s a shame everybody else whose life doesn’t revolve around a pub is left searching the Internet to see what non drink related activities will be accessible.

Drive time yesterday mentioned cinemas opening and even went through films which will be on over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Firstly, speak for yourself. Not everybody would prefer household visits to the gym or pubs etc..

Secondly, anybody that wants too and doesn't visit family for Christmas (or anytime) because of NPHET/Government orders is a fool. Imagine skipping visiting somebody close to you cos Michael Martin told you to be a good citizen. That type of slavish obedience is just mind boggling to me.

Sure if you are worried somebody will get sick , avoid the visit, but covid isn't going away just cos Michael Martin eased the restrictions. The same risk applies.

Thirdly, who will pay them to shut? The government , so who will actually the pay? Oh yeah , taxes.....paid for by working people. I think we've pissed enough money against the wall in the last year 0- i'd rather the schools, hospitals and roads were funded instead as would most right thinking people.

Finally, Christmas is a lonely time of year for many. Its so important social outlets like pubs are open. The number of calls - can't find stats for Ireland
    but in 2018 the Samaritans took 11,000 calls in uk on Christmas day alone - it's logically to assume a proportional number here.
    I know a few lads who won't see their kids at Christmas and are miserable over it - to deny them the pub or equivalent over the Christmas period is utter selfishness. Because you're afraid of a virus with a 99.9% survival rate.. and you could just not go to the pub...jaysis .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

I don't have a link to numbers for long covid, it's a similar number to deaths.
    The facts f the matter is it doesn't just attack old people and people with underlying conditions.

your right. thats why the survival rate as a whiole is still like 0.3% or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

Where did I mention NPHET?
    I've got a mind if my own which can look at data and make reasonable predictions. I don't need a science or medical degree to do that.
    I gave projected figures in late August for early October which were correct. That's the only time I've done that here, it's in one of these covid threads..

If you dont need a science or medical degree, why were you arguing yesterday to follow the "expert advice of NPHET?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Your conclusion:

is not contained anywhere in the study. It concludes that super spreading causes 80% of cases, and kids can be superspreaders. Not anymore so than adults

Quite right. The study shows that kids are less likely to be superspreaders than adults (albeit also showing it is possible for kids to be superspreaders)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

except the HSE stats, the offical figures, show that sports (of which gyms are a mere subset) have contributed no more than a handful of cases..
    Remember we had 40000 active cases at one stage and the entire sports sector contributed : a handful.

knock yourself out - weekly stats.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid19-updates.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

I think this is out of order and bonkers really, blaming people on here for the deaths of other people.

There's hysterical and then there is absolute stupidity. This being the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement