Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What way do you like your beans?

Options

Comments

All things considered, there's no better pairing than a tin of Heinz baked beans and a pack of Superquinn sausages, fried low and slow on the pan, then covered in baked beans. Nothing. Else. Needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

AMKC wrote: »
    Me I like mine cold. I know some people like them hot but to me that just ruins them. I had a gf once who thought cold beans were yuck.
    So how do you like yours?

I like them cold cold. Love them straight from the fridge, a bit less out of the press and I don't like them hot at all. I also drain off as much of the sauce as i can - that's muck!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,662 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I like them like this. A nice evening snack

ZsfdCSN.jpg

JayZeus wrote: »
    All things considered, there's no better pairing than a tin of Heinz baked beans and a pack of Superquinn sausages, fried low and slow on the pan, then covered in baked beans. Nothing. Else. Needed.

Could not be more wrong!:mad:

I will not eat sausages who have come into contact with beans, they absolutely must be kept separate and only allowed meet in the stomach.

What the hell is wrong with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Baked beans - Processed crap.Full of sugar.Keep away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

I like them like this. A nice evening snack

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Been off beans for weeks.. When I did have them always hot and sometimes with bangers.. Bangers and beans! A match made in heaven....

Interesting irrelevant fact; you pay ten cents more for a ring pull tin of beans than for a non ring pull. Learned that when I asked the checkout guy in LIDL in Killarney...

Graces7 wrote: »

Interesting irrelevant fact; you pay ten cents more for a ring pull tin of beans than for a non ring pull. Learned that when I asked the checkout guy in LIDL in Killarney...

Really? That's some difference percentage wise!

I can't remember the last time i seen a non ring pull can though.

Could not be more wrong!:mad:

I will not eat sausages who have come into contact with beans, they absolutely must be kept separate and only allowed meet in the stomach.

What the hell is wrong with you!

What's wrong with me?

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but there's something very, very wrong there.

It's almost as bad as not wanting to handle tins containing baked beans. :D

Fire up the frying pan there and get stuck in. It's like the first time you drink Guinness. Get onto the tail end of that second pint and you'll never look back. Same goes for the sausages with baked beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

carbsy wrote: »

I mean they're still good for you, I don't think baked beans are something we need to worry about when it comes to the obesity crisis in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

carbsy wrote: »

9.8g sugars per 100g in standard Heinz Baked Beans. That's sugars from the beans themselves, the tomato content and added sugar. About the same sugar content per 100g as an apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Beans on toast is the only way I'd eat baked beans.

& I don't pour the beans over the toast. I mash them, as previously stated, then put a small spoonfull at a time on to the toast & eat like that.
    Soggy toast from the beans being on top doesn't appeal to me at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Gregor, you like cold beans, & Heinz!
    & there's me thinking i liked you:(
    Please don't make it any harder & say you drink Barry's too??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

With pork and rice or refried or simmered for ten hours in duck fat or in a feijoada

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

gently cupped in the warm loving palm of a hot, supple, sexy wan.

Gregor, you like cold beans, & Heinz!
    & there's me thinking i liked you:(
    Please don't make it any harder & say you drink Barry's too??

No, no, no, I'm strictly a Lipton man.

I keed, I keed. Lyons! Only ever Lyons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

Lima beans slow cooked with onion and pork.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Plenty of beans are good to keep you nice and regular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I like my Fava beans with some liver and a nice Chianti ....

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

With a nice Chianti
    I like my Fava beans with some liver and a nice Chianti ....

Post #12
    Bean there, done that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

No added sugar, touch of curry powder, hot over a baked potato and some cheese. Mmm pure comfort.

9.8g sugars per 100g in standard Heinz Baked Beans. That's sugars from the beans themselves, the tomato content and added sugar. About the same sugar content per 100g as an apple.

Right.. But most fruit is really sugary. Like diabetics have to be careful about what fruits they have and how much.

Right.. But most fruit is really sugary. Like diabetics have to be careful about what fruits they have and how much.

Not sure why you’re bringing the special case of diabetics up. They have to be careful about all carbohydrate intake. That doesn’t mean that beans should be avoided by all people because they’re “full of sugar”, which was the claim in the post was replying to. Everyone should have a balanced diet and be mindful of nutrition content and portion size. It doesn’t mean beans - or apples - should be totally avoided for most people.

Not sure why you’re bringing the special case of diabetics up. They have to be careful about all carbohydrate intake. That doesn’t mean that beans should be avoided by all people because they’re “full of sugar”, which was the claim in the post was replying to. Everyone should have a balanced diet and be mindful of nutrition content and portion size. It doesn’t mean beans - or apples - should be totally avoided for most people.

Right, I know. But the sugar in beans is hitting coca cola sort of levels. Just adding context since comparing food to fruit makes most things sound perfectly healthy sugarwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

PsychoPete wrote: »
    People that eat cold beans are also the type of people that leave the teabag in the cup

Ah no, I don't leave my teabag in cup yuch, but cold beans only way to go yum oh and cold toast, as soon as it has popped put two pieces together triangle, then butter ( real only) when cold.

Really? That's some difference percentage wise!

I can't remember the last time i seen a non ring pull can though.

lol.. this was over five years ago and the checkout guy said that they sell more ring pull as few folk these days have tin-openers

I mean REALLY!

Hey that would make a great poll; do you have a tin opener and if not how do you open non ring- pull tins.

Oh and some things still have no ring pull; eg condensed milk and some concentrated soups.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Cold beans are disgusting. Hot beans are bland average food that you throw into nice food. Nothing great about beans

Depends how hungry you are...sometimes cold beans just hit the spot.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Tea without milk is like drinking paint

Tea in any form is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

In that case most of the sugar is in the sauce because apples would typically have 5 to 10 times more sugar per gram than beans.
    As I said in an earlier post I find the sauce to be very sweet and syrupy and often just eat the beans which aren't really high in sugar, what's more the fibre content of the beans probably retards the release of sugar in the body vis-à-vis the sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

The anti-sugar crusade is just the latest food hysteria. Five years ago the same idiots were going gluten-free and cutting out dairy. Before that it was fat and cholesterol.

Advertisement