Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Success is predetermined

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

In Ireland is LESS of one. I am not saying its totally barrier free etc. But its more possible and we should be thankful.

Exactly. And most companies are crying out for STEM graduates. If you want to make 30k plus straight out of college at 22, with zero or low debt, Ireland is a fantastic place to be.

Now, not everyone sees the value in education, or sees that college choices are a cost/benefit decision, or really cares enough about success and money (as is their choice) but people in this country have little to complain about if they are not financially independent.

I know I'll get the usual "tell that to those at home because of COVID, property prices, recession etc, etc" but these are short term events.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Luck is another factor.
    I am of the mentality of put yourself out there and let's see if luck favors you.

Leonardo DiCaprio said something about luck once. How fortunate he was. As there's a million pretty boy actors ( :pac: ) who could have got cast in Titanic and his subsequent successful movies to build him as a star.

A lot of life is just sticking at it, putting yourself out there or in a place so luck can favor you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Luck is another factor.
    I am of the mentality of put yourself out there and let's see if luck favors you.

Leonardo DiCaprio said something about luck once. How fortunate he was. As there's a million pretty boy actors ( :pac: ) who could have got cast in Titanic and his subsequent successful movies to build him as a star.

A lot of life is just sticking at it, putting yourself out there or in a place so luck can favor you.

Absolutely and the other end of the chance spectrum is where bad luck intervenes

Person happend to be out walking when drunk driver who lost control was driving past

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Success or failure are not predetermined. We can all only play the hand we're dealt and obviously if you are dealt a better hand you have a head start, but that's all you have.

You can very easily fúck up a good start, and you can also make up for a bad one with a bit of luck and effort. I think what is generally overlooked is that you really do need quite a bit of luck, no matter how hard you work, or how smart you are, or who you know etc.

To get to the top of any field, be that business, sport, showbiz, whatever you need to be very talented, very dedicated and very lucky. The middle ground is absolutely packed full of people who were just 2 of those things!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Chockablock Theodore

razorblunt wrote: »
    Gates ... Bezos ... Bilzerian? WTF.
    One of those is not like the others.

Bilzerian is a chicken legged, roided up, failed Marine who has to pay women to hang out with him.
    Do you know how much of a loser you have to be to comfortably rich and pay women to hang out with you?

The only one that is stupid here is you since you cannot comprehend the exact point that I was making yet you wanted to show your stupidity for all to see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Do you have any examples? Even if they **** up, they would just be handed more money.

The Kennedy family from Cape Cod, completely unelectable generation of politicians.
    Joshua Allen from Ballymaloe.
    Brodie Sweeney from Spectraphoto and Obriens Sandwich bars.
    Callum Brosnan, Pierces adopted son, coke addict.

Family names, legacy and money can open doors but you still have to put in some effort yourself.
    Try and start to understand how wealth is created and maintained. Read Rich Dad poor dad by Robert Kiyosaki.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

some footballers become better and more successful than their fathers, Erling Braut Håland is far better than his dad Alf-Inge Håland who played for leeds.

Paul dalglish was rubbish compared to his dad kenny and was given a chance to play in the premier league when his dad was managing newcastle, now he was nowhere near good enough to be playing in the premier league. he ending his career as a striker who played 206 game and scored 22 goals.

why do you think one son became a success and the other did not? hard work? talent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Mad_maxx wrote: »

reading about Nial Horan while in a doctors waiting room this morning , apparently hes worth fifty million , well done to him but hes a pretty mediocre talent , thousands around this country are equally as talented when it comes to music

thats just one example

i personally dont fully believe in free will

I am no fan of Louis Walsh but Louis gets his stars proper legal and financial advice so they dont end up on skid row. You can argue Shane Filan and Bryan McFadden but they were two indians who went off the reservation. One thinking he was a property developer and what not the other blew it partying.

The best example of it is Gary Cole from Different Strokes (That is showing my age). His parents thought he was a golden goose and spent his money on crap as soon as they got it despite being the highest earning entertainer of his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The best example of it is Gary Coleman from Different Strokes (That is showing my age). His parents thought he was a golden goose and spent his money on crap as soon as they got it despite being the highest earning entertainer of his time.

FYP

Gary Cole is the guy from Office Space

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

pgj2015 wrote: »
    some footballers become better and more successful than their fathers, Erling Braut Håland is far better than his dad Alf-Inge Håland who played for leeds.

Paul dalglish was rubbish compared to his dad kenny and was given a chance to play in the premier league when his dad was managing newcastle, now he was nowhere near good enough to be playing in the premier league. he ending his career as a striker who played 206 game and scored 22 goals.

why do you think one son became a success and the other did not? hard work? talent?

The late-great Peter Bonetti, known as 'The Cat', was a fantastic goalkeeper, but I don't think his son Nicholas was very good...to be fair he might have been, but I've never heard of him.
    So that proves the point you made above about Erling Braut Haaland and Paul Dalglish in an almost scientific way.
    BTW, I'm a St.Patrick's Athletic man myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Wealth is only a measure of itself and says nothing about the character of the person, or how they came by their wealth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I have a severe sense of deja vu here.
    Wasn't this thread done a few months ago with near exactly the same posts??

Indeed we did
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113742041

Chock - not looking good I'm afraid :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement