Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Success is predetermined

Options
  • 27-10-2020 2:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13

You were born into a rich family = you are almost guaranteed to be rich. (Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Dan Bilzerian) yes they worked hard obviously but if they didn't have families that supported them with hundreds of thousands in investments and connections, they wouldn't have been able to accomplish nowhere near as much. Most most students don't have anything to invest at all apart from their time and working their way up.

Take sports:
    Michael Jordan is 6ft6, if another person who had the same dedication and hard work as Michael Jordan but is short, he would never be as successful as him because of him being too short at 6ft. So Michael Jordan wouldn't be where he was if he was short and the core factor in his success is height. If he wasn't 6ft6, he would never be where he was.

There are exceptions in some cases but that's not an accurate way to measure overall performance.
    Just because United States had a 5ft4 president, doesn't invalidate that most of their presidents were significantly above average height and are more likely to win an election.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

parents help their kids, no way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Nope, it's all down to sheer hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Roman Abromovich
    Howard Shultz
    Oprah Winfrey
    Do whan Chang
    Ralph Lauren
    George Soros
    Larry Ellison

Some good stories there, there is no black and white that determines success. Rich family with connections obviously offer benefits to those who have them however your only limited by yourself. If your good enough at what you do, you'll achieve! Simple enough

everyone 78 inches tall should be in jordans league so

guess what

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Nope, it's all down to sheer hard work.

Is what they want you to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,515 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's also plenty of example of kids of millionaires who completely fecked up the life handed to them and you wouldn't send them to the well for water.

Welcome to boards. How long will you be staying?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Chockablock Theodore

duffman13 wrote: »
    Roman Abromovich
    Howard Shultz
    Oprah Winfrey
    Do whan Chang
    Ralph Lauren
    George Soros
    Larry Ellison

Some good stories there, there is no black and white that determines success. Rich family with connections obviously offer benefits to those who have them however your only limited by yourself. If your good enough at what you do, you'll achieve! Simple enough

Good job ignoring what I wrote. Let me highlight it for you.

"There are exceptions in some cases but that's not an accurate way to measure overall performance.
    Just because United States had a 5ft4 president, doesn't invalidate that most of their presidents were significantly above average height and are more likely to win an election."

There's also plenty of example of kids of millionaires who completely fecked up the life handed to them and you wouldn't send them to the well for water.

Do you have any examples? Even if they **** up, they would just be handed more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

You were born into a rich family = you are almost guaranteed to be rich. (Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Dan Bilzerian) yes they worked hard obviously but if they didn't have families that supported them with hundreds of thousands in investments and connections, they wouldn't have been able to accomplish nowhere near as much. Most most students don't have anything to invest at all apart from their time and working their way up.

So people with money, opportunities and a good work ethic do well in life? Who knew?

Bill Gates went to a school which had a computers dept (rare at the time) and found a glitch which gave him unlimited time.

Bezos started Amazon from scratch with his own money as an online book store, right when online shopping was in it's infancy.

Bilzerian was fortunate to come into online poker right when it was taking off. He had enough money to play poker 24/7.

I'd say luck had a lot more than family money and connections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,054 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I have a severe sense of deja vu here.
    Wasn't this thread done a few months ago with near exactly the same posts??

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Nothing will be handed to you on a plate.

If you want something bad enough go out and get it.

Fail? try again.

Also this exact same OP question was asked just a few shorts months ago.

Good job ignoring what I wrote. Let me highlight it for you.

"There are exceptions in some cases but that's not an accurate way to measure overall performance.
    Just because United States had a 5ft4 president, doesn't invalidate that most of their presidents were significantly above average height and are more likely to win an election."

So success is predetermined except when its not! I fundamentally disagree with your assertion and so do you! I would find well connected people in industry can get decent jobs but never rise to the very top without the talent to go with it. People with talent and the right work ethic, regardless of background will become successful

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Bilzerian was fortunate to come into online poker right when it was taking off. He had enough money to play poker 24/7.
    Didn't you hear?

Its all fake ....its all trust fund money ....he was just using poker to avoid paying tax on it.

Its not even straight trust fund money ..not that poker is kosher money..but there you go.

His dad defrauded every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

We suffer not from the events in our lives but from our judgements about them.

If you believe your are "unsuccessful" then you'll be miserable for your whole life.

There's a lot more to life than being successful.

So people with money, opportunities and a good work ethic do well in life? Who knew?

Bill Gates went to a school which had a computers dept (rare at the time) and found a glitch which gave him unlimited time.

Bezos started Amazon from scratch with his own money as an online book store, right when online shopping was in it's infancy.

I'd say luck had a lot more than family money and connections.

Stopped reading after dan bilzerian won at poker. There is 0 evidence of that but there is evidence that dan bilzerians father was a corrupt billionaire.

Stopped reading after dan bilzerian won at poker. There is 0 evidence of that but there is evidence that dan bilzerians father was a corrupt billionaire.
    Well said.

Success is largely predetermined.

For white rich people ..its almost a given.

So success is predetermined except when its not! I fundamentally disagree with your assertion and so do you! I would find well connected people in industry can get decent jobs but never rise to the very top without the talent to go with it. People with talent and the right work ethic, regardless of background will become successful

I agree to half of what you are writing. But let me clarify, are you saying that because there was once a 5ft10 basketball player that now you can become a successful basketball player even though 99% of them are 6ft4+?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Yes, you may not gain the success of what those very unique one in a million (probably many more millions) people have gotten, who the OP name dropped. Who also worked their backsides off and then some.

But what you will get is a good degree of success with sheer hard work. Reach for the moon and get the stars so to speak.

If you spend time on something that you are motivated about and want to work hard at you will always have some good degree of success.

Talent needs hard work to become greatness and through hard work, you can become reasonably talented at something. Unless you are up against something like a basketball player over 6ft and are 5ft 4in. That is literally a physical impediment in relation to that sport.

I agree to half of what you are writing. But let me clarify, are you saying that because there was once a 5ft10 basketball player that now you can become a successful basketball player even though 99% of them are 6ft4+?

You are getting very sports centric, which I like. Basketball is an outlier, its a game that specifically rewards height. Some point guards etc are the exception but these are becoming rarer. 6ft 6 from a quick google is now the average height in the NBA which is mad.

• Advertisement

That's ok, you got through most of the post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Yes, some people have certain advantages whether they be physical, lucky to be born into a rich family etc. It's still possible to succeed in spite of these things but some are lucky enough to get a "leg up". Hardly new information, what's your point?

On a side note, I've always found it funny that you never see intelligence/IQ listed alongside family wealth, physical attributes etc. as a natural advantage people can benefit from. I went to school with people who could achieve high marks with very little effort, other people could achieve the same marks but would need to really graft for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

You are getting very sports centric, which I like. Basketball is an outlier, its a game that specifically rewards height. Some point guards etc are the exception but these are becoming rarer. 6ft 6 from a quick google is now the average height in the NBA which is mad.

Outliers is a good read that tackles some of this stuff. Worth a look if you're all interested in these types of things.

RWCNT wrote: »
    Yes, some people have certain advantages whether they be physical, lucky to be born into a rich family etc. It's still possible to succeed in spite of these things but some are lucky enough to get a "leg up". Hardly new information, what's your point?

On a side note, I've always found it funny that you never see intelligence/IQ listed alongside family wealth, physical attributes etc. as a natural advantage people can benefit from. I went to school with people who could achieve high marks with very little effort, other people could achieve the same marks but would need to really graft for it.

In Ireland, you don't need a lot of wealth to get ahead in life. A half decent family life and a half decent work ethic coupled with direction and common sense will get you anywhere you want to go.

College is the biggest financial barrier, but there are grants and schemes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Gates ... Bezos ... Bilzerian? WTF.
    One of those is not like the others.

Bilzerian is a chicken legged, roided up, failed Marine who has to pay women to hang out with him.
    Do you know how much of a loser you have to be to comfortably rich and pay women to hang out with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Ah stop, you're making **** up now. Once a 5.10 player? ONCE??!!

The average height in the NBA this year is 6.6, and I won't insult your intelligence by explaining how averages work.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Gates ... Bezos ... Bilzerian? WTF.
    One of those is not like the others.

Bilzerian is a chicken legged, roided up, failed Marine who has to pay women to hang out with him.
    Do you know how much of a loser you have to be to comfortably rich and pay women to hang out with you?
    I would say he is actually gay.

College is the biggest financial barrier, but there are grants and schemes available.
    In Ireland is LESS of one. I am not saying its totally barrier free etc. But its more possible and we should be thankful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

luck is the most important trait there is

im not saying without it people wont prosper but to really make it big , you need luck at key junctures in your life

reading about Nial Horan while in a doctors waiting room this morning , apparently hes worth fifty million , well done to him but hes a pretty mediocre talent , thousands around this country are equally as talented when it comes to music

thats just one example

i personally dont fully believe in free will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A lot of it is random and luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement