Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your success is mostly predetermined

Options
  • 15-06-2020 5:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭

If you're born tall then you're automatically going to be much more successful in certain sports such as basketball. The average height in NBA is 6ft7. You will also make more money just because you were born this way and didn't have to work for it. You won't find many 6ft tall basketball players.

Also lets take Usain Bolt who is the fastest man alive. Do you think he would be the fastest man if he was 5ft5? No he wouldn't and therefore he gets massive riches because of things that he didn't even choose.

I'm personally 6ft1 max so I'm doomed to be average Joe no matter what I do. I will never be an athlete on professional level or gain riches just because I was lucky. It is sad that people are rewarded massively for things that they didn't even choose and were just lucky to obtain them. You can say they put in the hard work but even if 5ft man puts all the effort, he would never achieve same results as someone who had this advantage and therefore he would remain average Joe forever.

Same with riches. If your parents are rich, then it is very unlikely that you will be poor as you will have good connections and won't have to work as hard to gain it. Whatever about that. I'm more interested in things like height and genetics such as having a bodybuilder genetics vs average or skinny genetics. You'll never be an IFBB pro being a 40lb weakling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I don’t think any IFBB pros can scratch their own back.
    I’d rather be able to scratch my own back than have an itchy back all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mattdhg

More likely that people who make a load of ****ty excuses will never have the determination and grit to make themselves a success.

A self fulfilling prophecy.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

But if you're tall and also you're **** at basketball, what then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

You're talking about extreme ends of the spectrum.

Lionel Messi, widely hailed as of the greatest footballers ever is 5'7".
    Yes you can be lucky and it's essential probably at times, but you also need talent and putting in the hours to make it to the top.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,753 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Ohio9 wrote: »
    I'm doomed to be average Joe no matter what I do

Well then I guess it's never really your fault for not working with what you have, is it?

Sounds much easier than putting effort into things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

The typical height for a sprinter is around 6'1...Bolt is unusually tall. Get out there and sprint OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭thomas 123

If bolt was 5’6 he probably would be some other sort of athlete.

Success is down to personal grit, determination, and some natural talent.

Look at Messi, serious problems health wise when he was young, Barcelona saw talent, invested in him and look at him now.

Ronaldo, poor as hell. Worked his arse off and went up the ranks.

Peter stringer/Shane Williams, small men rugby wise, two amazing players.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Peter stringer/Shane Williams, small men rugby wise, two amazing players.

That is one of the reasons I love Rugby - there is a place for many body types in it. The OP has it exactly backwards. He is looking at one given sport being a fit if you are tall enough - rather than the person finding a fit based on who they are.

It reminds me of a line about women's soccer one of my friends came out with. Someone said to him "The women do not play the game as well as men" and his response was "They are not competing or comparing themselves against men".

The trick in life is to find the niche _you_ can compete in - where you can be successful but constantly challenged to grown and improve - based on groupings that overlap the Venn Diagram of who you are and can be. Being extra tall might make you a great basket ball player - it does not guarantee you are going to be a great fighter. Being incredibly strong might make you a great weight lifter - id does not guarantee you are going to be a fast runner.

The quality of the cards you are dealt tends to be based on the game you are playing. Imagine if you could get the hand of cards first and _then_ decide which game to play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Ohio9

Mattdhg wrote: »
    More likely that people who make a load of ****ty excuses will never have the determination and grit to make themselves a success.

A self fulfilling prophecy.

Ok then find me 5ft tall NBA player.

5”3

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shortest_players_in_National_Basketball_Association_history

Find me an 8ft astronaut/fighter pilot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muggsy_Bogues

5'3

Find me a 265KG Sprinter :)

empacher wrote: »

Good boy, now lets compare this to the total players overall in NBA. What % are shorties and (very important) successful shorties like Michael Jordan?

Good boy, now lets compare this to the total players overall in NBA. What % are shorties and (very important) successful shorties like Michael Jordan?

Find me a 265KG Sprinter :)

There are 265kg sprinters, therefore anyone can be a successful sprinter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,116 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm 5ft 4 and have no penis either.

Guess I'm fooked so..

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

If you're born tall then you're automatically going to be much more successful in certain sports such as basketball. The average height in NBA is 6ft7. You will also make more money just because you were born this way and didn't have to work for it. You won't find many 6ft tall basketball players.

Also lets take Usain Bolt who is the fastest man alive. Do you think he would be the fastest man if he was 5ft5? No he wouldn't and therefore he gets massive riches because of things that he didn't even choose.

I'm personally 6ft1 max so I'm doomed to be average Joe no matter what I do. I will never be an athlete on professional level or gain riches just because I was lucky. It is sad that people are rewarded massively for things that they didn't even choose and were just lucky to obtain them. You can say they put in the hard work but even if 5ft man puts all the effort, he would never achieve same results as someone who had this advantage and therefore he would remain average Joe forever.

Same with riches. If your parents are rich, then it is very unlikely that you will be poor as you will have good connections and won't have to work as hard to gain it. Whatever about that. I'm more interested in things like height and genetics such as having a bodybuilder genetics vs average or skinny genetics. You'll never be an IFBB pro being a 40lb weakling.

There a far more 6ft 7in people in the world who aren't successful athletes than those who are.

Their height didn't get them where they are alone, you have to work your arse off to compete professionally in any sport. It becomes you and everything else in life comes second.

I get where you're coming from OP but professional athletes wasn't the way to go.

Now if you're born into money, you'll come out of the womb laughing, rubbing your palms together as you see the doors open ahead of you. Possibilities will be endless.

If you're born in a third world country, where it was a blessing that your mother even survived labour, you'll have to put in back breaking work to have half the standard of living that we take for granted and even then, work alone won't guarantee it.

Count your blessings if you fall in the middle of the two examples above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Gerry T

You're picking basker ball, what about horse jockeys, gymnasts, weight lifters, racing car drivers, golfers, soccer players. Co.e to think of it 6ft 8in is a serious drawback if you want to play most sports other than basketball. Your argument makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You'll never be an IFBB pro being a 40lb weakling.

If you're 40 lbs, you're about 5 years old so you're right, you probably won't be an IFBB pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

All I'm hearing is excuses. That's a cop out.

• Advertisement

I am actually genuinely curious now - who was the worlds most successful 265kg sprinter????

Why are you obsessing over NBA?

Why are you obsessing over sports in general.

Height does not correlate directly with success...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Why are you obsessing over sports in general.

Height does not correlate directly with success...

It’s step 1 on the ‘I could never be successful and it’s not my fault’ spectrum.

Step 2 is calling all the tall people Chad.

Also you might find you would may be more more successful If you weren’t so patronising.

You have 2 ears and one mouth for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Y
    Also you might find you would may be more more successful If you weren’t so patronising.

You have 2 ears and one mouth for a reason.

The online corollary is ten fingers and one keyboard. Works in reverse.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

I'm 6ft 7 and I'm shockingly bad at basketball. You don't need to have riches to be successful. Success to some people means different things. Being rich doesnt necessarily mean you are succesful

• Registered Users Posts: 16,611 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Are career and relationship success now proportional to achieved height?

Finally!

Being 6'5" is going to start paying off and those 20yrs of work, upskilling and continuing learning were just to kill time on my way to moving on up!!!

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,611 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm 5ft 4 and have no penis either.

Guess I'm fooked so..

Correct answer here...
    Is d'ya wanna be ;)?

Who knows - but on an unrelated note I think the Incel 101 handbook states:

1) Find the attribute you have the least control over
    2) Hold that attribute to the highest standard you have
    3) Get angry about it and blame it for all your short comings.
    4) Never try to better yourself because you will never attain that standard.
    5) GOTO LINE 1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Aside from athletes,somewhere down the family tree of all those rich people,were poor people.Who worked and toiled to make something of themselves and a better life for their children.And instilling in their offspring the value of hard-work and financial sense.And those values were carried over and improved over generations.

Being bitter over not being a rich athlete or that your parents weren't millionaires,is a waste of time.If your that unhappy with your life,do something about it.And be thankful for what you do have and achieved in your life,however small you may think it is.

Advertisement