Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I really like that BB pro - I’d normally be all over the bracelet with new clasp but interested to try the rubber strap. Sets a nice contrast to the steel bezel.

Im probably in the minority though.

Where did you pick it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I think it needs a more interesting strap, NATO or Rally I haven't decided yet

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

I think it looks good on the "racing" style strap, like what you have it on.

Nice selection of all types on here -

https://www.bartonwatchbands.com/products/chocolate-brown-racing-horween-leather

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wearing my early 80's Mortima quartz the last couple of days. Cheap as chips when new, cheaper than chips now. 😁 Mortima were a very cheap and cheerful French novelty brand watch and the French so loved their novelty watches. Pin pallet movements with "jewels" stuck to the plates just to raise the jewel count, with plated brass cases in all sorts of usually "diver" style watches with mad dials festooned with writing like "SuperDatomatic" and "Superwaterproof". Even in the 80's they had "100% Etanche". Remarkably popular at home and abroad and employed generations of French folks. One story from the factory was when a well dressed African gentleman showed up one day, asked to see someone in charge and dropped many thousands of francs in cash on the desk as a downpayment on a big order for his country. Like a boss. As you do. The fully inhouse quartz movement in my example was by far their highest quality movement in their interesting history and it matched far more expensive offerings at the time. It even has a screwdown crown and clicking bezel. 😮😁 Fanceh. It was their last gasp before the doors closed.

Most of all I got it because the very first watch I got as a kid of eight was a Mortima "diver" for my birthday from my mum and dad on a holiday in Spain. I clearly remember the shop and all the watches in the window, my nose pressed to the glass and picking "my" watch out not thinking it would be mine(they kept me in suspense 😁). I still have it but it long gave up the ghost. I loved winding it up, reading the words on the dial and the lume in the dark(there are strange subatomic particles that last longer..) and dropping it into glasses of water to watch it tick away because it was a proper waterproof watch just like Mr Cousteau wore. Or so my eight year old mind thought, as eight year old minds will. 😊 That watch and my dad's influence is why I ended up loving and collecting watches and how they can connect you to people, places and things in a very personal way.

More than that it reminds me of my mum and dad and a happy childhood I'm very grateful for as too many didn't and don't. It only cost me 30 quid. Best bang for buck ever.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

The wedding gift! Love it! (And the wife too of course!)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

With the price of my GP Laureato SS blue dial having more than doubled in recent months, I am just after completing a deal on Chrono where I did a direct swap for this - a 42mm Rose Gold GO Senator Chronometer. It is 2018 and in mint condition with full papers/box etc.. A totally different watch to the GP but had been looking for a German watch for a while. I hope I made the correct decision as I loved the GP and couldn't fault it, though hard to justify the current grey price for them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,828 ✭✭✭893bet

Congrats! It doesn’t really double in value until you cash it out which you did! It’s just fictitious till that point.

It’s on my mind to do something very similar with my PP5167 as I have a lot of fictitious profit in it. I am being greedy however and waiting for discontinuation which I think is around the corner in next two year.

I have similar aspirations towards solid gold German watches! Tips caps in admiration!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭banie01

@893bet replying to this to share an Instagram profile that my Mrs has used a few slow cooker recipes from that are very different from the run of the mill brown stuff.

He does a lot of airfryer stuff too and the pastry wrapped creme eggs are brilliant 😉

https://instagram.com/boredoflunch?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

• Advertisement

Thanks 893. Some of the pricing on Chrono needs to be ignored for sure and at the end of the day a watch is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. The Aquanaut is a different league altogether to what I mess about with and I can only imagine the options you will have when you decide to sell and reinvest in some gold German watches. Best of luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I’d like to know what you think of if when you get it as I’ve been spending a lot of time looking at glashuette lately myself but I’ve never seen or held one so am a bit unsure about them.

I’ve been looking at the panomatic lunar .

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I have had this on for a few days, and I am a huge fan of it. I know that for many here Seiko doesn't move the needle, but I think that this is one of best value watches I have bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The amount of times I’ve nearly bought one…. It’s a cool watch for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,828 ✭✭✭893bet

i was interested in a Panoreserve for a long time which I think is the same case size and watch as such (minus moonphase).

Didnt grab me when I tried it on. And wears massive IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

I know, I know, a leather strap on a diver, but my Garmin comes swimming with me and I’m liking the 70’s brown/blue vibe from this combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭banie01

They certainly have made no secret of the source of their homage and it is a very nice watch in what is a very, very crowded segment. Decent movement that has extra finishing too for those of us into that kinda thing.

The price is competitive too IMO. I must give your review a look. More for curiousity than as a buyer, I'm just not a big fan of the actual grand daddy of understated classic that is the progenitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

To keep up the Samurai Saturday theme.

Really like that the dial on your's Pablo but why are they putting cyclops on the King versions. There's a few King Seiko's I like but I can't see past the cyclops. A Turtle will probably be my next big purchase but I'm tempted to stretch to a Sumo.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Following the samurai theme, my padi version

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Turned it the right way around for you RC. Was going to crop it, but then saw the cute as fook woof woof and nearly cropped your watch outa the pic. Same woofer is thinking "oh God monkey boy is on the interwebs again. I better be getting belly rubs". 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The two different colours of lume on the padi is a nice addition to that version

@wibbs thanks

My first King samurai- the 2020 save the ocean model. This is the manta ray 2 model also called the dark manta ray as it’s a darker dial version than the manta ray on the bracelet which was also released that year in typical confusing Seiko manner .

Watch arrived earlier and here are a few wrist shots of it which hopefully gives an indication of size - I have an 8’’ wrist. It is a 42mm dial and wears exactly as that. The back is really lovely and very well finished. Overall, very happy with it. Posting this on mobile site and what a disaster it is - skipping back and forward

Post edited by kostal2093 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RandomName555

Have one of these (white faced dial), so happy to help with any questions. Lovely watch, and it wears very well, although the case is a bit high (perfectly fine under a dress shirt though).

Was originally comparing it against a JLC Master Calendar, and went for the JLC……and regretted it as couldn’t get the GO out of my mind.

was it the 40mm JLC ?Did the GO wear bigger than the JLC ? The glashutte original movement looks much better than the JLC

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 RandomName555

The JLC is rounded so feels smaller, though looking at the dimensions there’s not much between them (and yes, the JLC is 40mm, has the power reserve). The GO movement is far nicer than the Master Calendar - it is more art, compared to the Master Calendar’s beautifully finished function.

Overall, I would recommend the GO - it is truly beautiful, and I think is fairly good value for what you are getting. No AD here, but when I did have a problem with it (date quick set problem), GO got it handled for me.

Advertisement