Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Sharing the same watch multiple times is more than acceptable and what everyone else does. This thread is more of a “what are you wearing today”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

On that basis of post what you are wearing............

My cheap and cheerful steel G-Shock GM-2100-1AER. I'm tempted to get a Green or Blue one to go with this and my Black one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

French Yema "Superman" from the 1980's.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I'm wearing this today as it's Kung Fu is strong. It appears to be holding it's accuracy spec at least in the short term, I'll know for sure in a month.

Ok, so I've had to kiss a few frogs to find it.

And this one is in the poorest overall condition, dial has lost some surface finish. I reckon it has been serviced though,as it's very clean, the surface finish flakes are gone. I think both crystals must be running. The twin crystals are used for thermal compensation. I'm bidding on a movement to poke around with an oscilloscope.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

First Stage Shoal Deep prototype on the wrist today. These are launching on Kickstarter next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I really like that Wibbs, Yema and their older stuff really do set a great standard

Similar opinion on your current Blanchy, love the big lume plots too.

Today I'm wearing a new to me Seamaster. not that it's all that old. Whilst whipping up the start of my Slowcooker dinner for this evening. I like it, the ceramic bezel is IMO a huge improvement looks wise over the older models aluminium one.

The dial is really great, it's a step up in detail from the interim style wave dial that I have on the GMT. It moves the wave from being subtle, to being front & centre as a detail of the design.

The new style bracelet and clasp. I love the clasp, I'd love it more if it had the old style "Omega Professional" engraving 😉 the strap itself, I think I prefer the older bracelet, it's more curvaceous and perhaps as my GMT one is older it's a tad more comfortable.

My criticism, is that the Datewheel is nearly illegible IMO. It's an extraneous decoration on this model that is made for the eyes of a teenager 😉 in direct light only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I prefer that dial to the blue one I have but as you say the date wheel is bordering illegible and in some lights it may as well not be there.

I hope this side by side of my GMT and the ceramic 300 works 😉

Highlights what I mean re: differences between old style dial, clasp and bracelet.

Are you making Coddle in the slow cooker?

interesting….

It's not a coddle, its a bastardisation of a sausage stew with a serious dint of French pretentiousness 🤣 but it actually turns out a lovely rich beefy, tomato based stew.

Also in other cooking related news. I took delivery of some new cast iron grates for my BBQ. Spent a while yesterday seasoning them and then?

I saw this...

I am very tempted to see if he can to a Sherman version! Call it the Tommy Cooker 😁 it is a niche joke but I laughed, to myself while the Mrs thought I was having an episode 🤣

• Advertisement

Sounds nice. Might give that a blast some time. Minimum unit pricing has made cooking expensive when you need red/white wine. Did a beef bourguignon last week (9 euro bottle of wine needed). Did a chicken goulash yesterday and 8 euro white wine. Dinner quickly turns in a 30 quid + for the day.

Going to do Coddle next week now i have decided. I set myself the challenge in the new year to do a new slow cooker dish once a week for every week. Running out of dishes at this point as many are so similar. Wife doesn't eat lamb or pork or fish so its really chicken or beef.........used the BBC website exclusively so far.

Have you taken a look at the boards slow cooker thread? And I agree re: the effect of MUP. Much like Keith Floyd, I subscribe to the if you won't drink it? Don't cook with it notion.

Have a nice merlot opened for this one and will have a glass with dinner.

The Mrs keeps finding new recipes on Insta too, but on insta? If it's not a watch or some form of military model it's not for me 🤣

I did try a recipe for slow cooker cinnamon rolls that I would recommend tho 😉

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Even the windings on the coil are far less messy than most Swiss stuff of the time and even down to today. Though in the quartz years these were not cheap watches. It's one reason why I've always reckoned the early years of quartz are a great bang for buck. You get what was once luxury stuff with all the trimmings of that in quality at knock down prices.

Yema made a lot of cheap and cheerful and gimmicky watches for the French market which liked that sorta thing and sold very well(LIP did similar) but they had a few more mid tier models in their range. The Skindivers and Supermans among them. The Superman was remarkably thin for a 300 metre depth rating. They even produced an astronaut watch that flew on the Shuttle in the 80's. My Superman is an 80's model when Seiko had a stake in the company. It's one of my few watches where I know the background and it was originally owned by a French diver in the Gendarmerie. It came with the bracelet but it has to be the most rattly chintziest bracelet in human history. It makes Soviet era Vostoc bracelets look well made.

😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Sinn U50 on the wrist today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭micks_address

Was annoyed I missed out on the yema bronze gmt Kickstarter last year. They look cool. Picked up a Hamilton murph on Chrono the other night. I'm a sucker for interstellar and got it at a fair price. Will stick up a picture when arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 65,223 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You were only saying 40mm is too small last week…..must have been cheap to sway you so fast 😅

Did you not have the newer version of this recently?

40mm is small for me, but this wears a bit bigger than a submariner 40mm and much bigger than a GMT II 40mm and hugely bigger than a YM40. I guess because the bezel is less wide than in any of the above, so the dial is bigger

You guys keep saying it's all in my head and one gets used to bigger or smaller watches after a while, so I'm giving this some serious go, see if I get used to it 😁

I still had the additional link that I purchased separately after I got my first Rolex (the Explorer I) - had to fit it, the Rolex Oyster bracelets are too small for me (unless they come with the glidelock). It's a pity though that the older bracelets do not come with the easy link...

@scwazrh - I had this exact same watch ('99-'00 SWISS only dial 16570) back two years ago and I indeed recently had the newer 216570 from '11 late last year until earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Looks like a button on your O’Malley worthy wrist, you should definitely sell it to me at a knock down price.

Seriously though it looks perfect, wouldn’t wear any bigger if I was you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Oyster Bracelets out of the box fit up to 7.5'' inch wrists....somebody pinched some links on you. Should have7 links plus end links on each side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭traco

It's a King Turtle kind of day, might even be a full weekend of it. Such a nice watch to wear.

Love that watch .Another example of an interesting dial from seiko.

That's interesting. All my Rolex were one link short (that I had to buy separately) except the James Cameron. My wrist is 7.6" when small bit it swells bigger, I guess to about 8". A quick google would suggest Oyster bracelets have between 11 and 15 links from the factory, depending on the model (excluding end links but including easy link). This watch is from the late 90s so a few generations ago. Perhaps they had fewer links than the current models.

This would definitely be more suitable for your wrist than a near vintage explorer would you not think?

Cracking looking watch. Definitely think my next big spend will be a Panerai.

I do have the 47mm Marina Militare alright. Love it, but the others here in the family hate the Panerai style :-(

Interesting that I have to use the very last hole on the standard 26mm straps, so had to remove the second keeper. And even then it looks silly with only the very tip of the strap making it into the remaining keeper. So punching an extra hole in it is not really an option. I ordered the cork strap from Portugal in an extra long size (85mm + 130mm), and it's fine.

They obviously don't know a cool watch when they see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

Nice riverside walk to relax. First swallows I've seen this year. Still love this watch after all the years I've had it. Must pop it back on it's bracelet for a bit have had it on the Barton strap for a good while now.

• Advertisement

Those 1st generations are getting hard to find in good condition.

What year is it and have you had it serviced ?

Advertisement