Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Omega Seamaster 2531.80, by the sea for its first day of wear!

Thank you all for your help in acquiring this, there are too many to mention

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

@Wibbs

Thanks for sorting pic. I also sorted the hour hand on the WWI officers watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Are you sure it's 20mm? It looked 22mm to me and a quick google seems to confirm that?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I stand corrected Unk. It is a 22mm, it really does wear a lot more compact on the wrist and that's very likely due to the well proportioned lugs and the strap itself tapering to 20mm.

On the brightside tho, that means I have a few 22mm straps and even a Sinn clasp that can be used with it 😁

The fit and form of it really is v.good IMO. I know there's some issues with the brand owner and I'd not recommend anyone buy direct from them until those issues are sorted. Now that said, if you can pick up a 2nd hand one with the SW-200? I really think they are exceptional value for a watch, let alone a grade 2 Ti.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Interestingly I saw an EU based seller on r/watchexchange selling the white version of the Hamtun; but unfortunately it has an NH35 inside.

If anyone was interested after Banie's review it might be worth taking a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Have this one in for review at the minute, definitely not my normal choice but the specs are great for the price

Sinn 104 Lume shot. 2 Sinns in my box and love them both!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Hamilton Khaki Field mechanical

A history of our lads fighting in North Africa and Italy in WWII that I picked up along with a few others in Chapters closing down sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

4006-6020 from January 1970. Recently busy with work, nice to take a moment to enjoy a watch🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭893bet

A very welcome day working from home. My first in 3 weeks! With a long commute it’s amazing how used you get to not having it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭micks_address

Enjoying this a lot more than I expected

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My modded Vostok Zissou. Such a fun watch, new dive bezel and cheap jubilee strap.

That should go on a turquoise rubber. Funky!

I am so happy with this watch! Matches my style, and not one that you ever see out in the wild.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I reassembled this last night with new hands as I made a mess the first time around I built it - trying to mount the seconds hand is the fiddliest thing ever. The crown stem probably needs an extra 1mm taken off it, but it's not that noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

I've seen a few sold off watchuseek, in the sales section and in a general discussion thread about the H2. Even people tried selling them directly from the kickstarter comments section.

DO NOT buy anything from his site or current campaign though, he has disappeared and currently has 482 backers on kickstarter looking for a watch that doesnt look like it will ever materialize.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Since I got my 1975 LIP Tallon quartz I've been looking for the correct bracelet for it. Not easy as they made feck all of them in quartz(a few hundred was the consensus on a French forum) and only that model had the steel bracelet. I had slapped a genetic 70's style and crappy pressed steel job on it. The originals are solid links, screwed and all that. Last week I spotted a job lot of "70's bracelets" and saw one(and the women's smaller version and a couple of other nice bracelets). NOS. Nabbed the lot for 40 quid. Was waiting for me today when I came in from a job.

OK, I so do have two of these. Cos me... The above a prototype(silver rehault, production models were grey. 4 ATM, production models were 3 and the movement is slightly different) and a German market one. Fully in house quartz movement, which cost them a pretty penny in development costs. Never mind bringing in non watch designers like Roger Tallon to come up with a new approach to the wristwatch which had been mired in tradition for so long. Genta was also one of those few that pushed the boat out at the time with the AP Royal Oak. Thing is though his designs are lauded today they were very slow sellers when new(interestingly the prototype RO were made from white gold as initially making them in the much tougher steel was too expensive and AP were looking down both barrels of insolvency at the time).

These proved to be good sellers, but LIP were in financial difficulty and the last member of the founder LIP family had gotten the heave ho in 72. And while doing this development and designer looks they were in the middle of bankruptcy and industrial action that was the talk of France. The workers took over the factory and and took some managers hostage. The French police stormed the place and rescued them, so the workers grabbed a load of watches and production machinery and plans and hid them*. As you do. Then the army was sent in and took over the factory. Followed by mass demonstrations in support of the workers. Then the workers decided to operate the factory themselves. Lots of back and forth and government resistance and ultimately the company went under. The newly elected French president Giscard d'Estaing was among those against them, though the model above was known as the "D'Estaing" because he actually wore one for a time. An interesting time in the history of French politics and economics and workers rights, summed up in a watch.

Values wise: ten years ago you could get them for one to two hundred quid, if you could find one. The mechanical chrono in the same style case goes for a well north of 1000 quid. They were popular in the US. These days for the D'Estaing figure about 600 quid. The LED ones add another 200(though way off the beaten track in the watch hobby, early digital collectors have been consistently keen over the decades so values tend to stay equally consistent).

EDIT I nearly forgot I nabbed an original box for one years ago. Even the boxes went funkaaay.

You can spot the later 80's reissue stuff because a) the watches were much smaller. The above is 44, by 40mm and b) the LIP logo is a series of lines, the later ones put a line across the P for legibility. I prefer the modernist purity of the original myself. Cos pseud. 🤔😁

*for ages on ebay NOS LIP bits and bobs were a regular feature. Many of the LIP mechanical chronos that Hodinkee cool hunted so they went from a couple of hundred quid to a few thousand were almost certainly modern put togethers from old parts. My bracelet stash likely came from a similar source...

Post edited by Wibbs on

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That's a stunning watch, always catches my eye when I see one on reddit

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1 CC. If were to sell off all my old watches and was to buy one brand new watch, it would almost certainly be a Sinn. Helmut Sinn was a fascinating man and world class mad bastid on top. He was a pilot in WW2(on the dodgy side, but who's counting...), then after the war was a rally driver for a time. Won a few rallies in IIRC a souped up VW Beetle. A car he blagged off VW for nada. A consumate engineer who designed watches accordingly. Big collector of vintage watches and many decades before that was a thing too. Sinn watches have the military connections in spades(were the official watchmaker to the German military, servicing watches like the Heuer BUND) and even have a space angle. Mostly though, because I love the look and no faffing about, caressed into soulful life by a bevvie of Swiss virgin gnomes in a sylvan glade ballsology, proper engineering principles behind their watches.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Great find there wibbs, pure treasure. I've spent a bit of time hunting bracelets, it's a real time suck. Currently seeking a bracelet for that 70s grand quartz.

My own lip nautic ski is currently in for repair as of last friday, movement swap, I have a vintage tropic strap ready for it.

I caught up on the WWTW thread there this evening, to be honest the quartz bashing both angered and amused me a little. You raised the point of lips investment in the design and tooling up for quartz. To my mind the swiss banded together, countered with marketing rather than technology or innovation and it has stood them well. The coaxial escapement by George Daniels was patented in '76 finds it's way into a production omega in '99, where will omega find the next George Daniels. I had the back off my accutron today for a battery change, I peered for a while, should have taken a photo of the gubbins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Fitz II

George Daniels was overrated. Modern watchmaking with CAD/CAM and new materials is far superior and innovative. He was just seen as the last chap to make a watch from start to finish himself (he didnt do some of the hands and didnt make the mainsprings). The Co Axial was an iterative innovation that turned out to not actually be much of an advantage and modern lubrication is far more beneficial than any reduction in friction from the co axial. Initially they were a reliability nightmare. Omega only really picked it up as a marketing exercise.

Max Bousser (spelling?), Richard Mille, FJP, Grouble Forsey and a load of swiss watchmaking schools that where the next George Daniels will be found, but watches are now a collaborative effort now so a single name attached to an invention is unlikely. Oh and the next george daniels is his student Roger Smith.

Post edited by Fitz II on

You raised the point of lips investment in the design and tooling up for quartz. To my mind the swiss banded together, countered with marketing rather than technology or innovation and it has stood them well.

The thing is the Swiss were extremely gung ho for electric and later quartz tech. They spent fortunes on developing it in the 50's and 60's, either as a consortium to spread the costs, or going it alone like Longines while also being part of the consortium. In the final years of the Swiss chronometer trials it was Swiss quartz movements that won. In the final year the only mechanical in the top ten was a Seiko. It was Seiko who pipped them to the post with the first quartz watch for sale, but it was barely a working production model and was the price of a new family car. Within a couple of months the Swiss consortium Beta movement watches were in full sale production along with the Longines Ultraquartz(which was more a prototype that escaped). AP market the claim they've never made a quartz watch, but the singular reason for that was they were potless by the 60's and didn't have the finances to join the consortium. The Royal Oak saved them, but by the skin of their teeth and even then they were a tiny marque.

In the first years of the 70's it was the Swiss that were the vanguards and innovators of quartz with most companies coming up with their own ever more robust and accurate in house offerings. Take Rolex; their first patent for an electric watch was in the 50's. They joined the Beta consortium and produced watches with that movement, but started work on their own in house movement soon after, bringing out the Oysterquartz in 1976, a movement that was the most innovative and best finished in their history. Half of Rolex patents between the 50's and the 80's were for electronic developments. They even trialed an LED prototype in desperation at one point. And that was the problem....

It wasn't a "quartz crisis", so much as a digital crisis. The Swiss were ahead on analogue quartz tech, but were woefully behind in digital tech. That was left to the Americans and later the Japanese and other Asian concerns. The Americans developed it in the nascent silicon valley, the Japanese ran with it and reduced costs massively and flooded the market and made digital watches the fashionable timepiece for the world. The Swiss had no comeback, though a few like Omega, Longines and Heuer tried to keep up, but their offerings were a year or more behind in features that the watch buying public wanted and could have for less and in the case of Seiko and Citizen at the same or better quality. Add in a negative Swiss Franc exchange rate and it was the perfect storm. And the Swiss marques fell like skittles or hung on for dear life*. Out of date and too expensive.

So after a few years and after building a war chest of cash in a hard nosed irony from selling cheap placcy quartz fashion watches the Swiss in another consortium (SWATCH) decided in a moment of sheer genius to make "out of date and too expensive" the selling point. Very zen or something. 😁 This gave rise to the Swiss mechanical revival, born in the 80's, gaining ground in the 90's and exploding in the noughties and going nuts in the teens. So in a way we get to swoon over high end mechanicals because of quartz.

My own lip nautic ski is currently in for repair as of last friday

Oh really? Mine's in need of some TLC. If you don't mind me asking where did you send it and how much was the repair? The Electric watches chap in the UK used to do them, but I see he's only doing the Swiss tuning fork movements now.

*the ones that hung on were at the luxury price bracket end in both mechanical and quartz. Quartz totally destroyed the entry and mid level Swiss(and others like French and German) mechanical market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Vintage solar timepiece by Lynch of Capel St. Dublin circa 1800 with 'world-time' complication.

Hand-wound retro-inspired timepiece by Swatch Group (modern).

Post edited by Cyclingtourist on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Thanks wibbs that's it in a nutshell. Must have been a hard decision to kill the oyster quartz once they decided on the mechanical is luxury.

The lip is in with watchfix, it's out with a old movement in the replacement. I'm taking a chance, but a movement swap must be there easiest option for any experienced watch maker.

He also has my grand quartz, 30 euro for a battery swap and pressure test. 500 to service my valjoux 7750 breitling. Both watches are similar value, one has lower cost of ownership.

The other guy I considered was down in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This is perhaps even more triggering than a blue ray skin 😉 maybe with a black clasp, or more matte finish! These are the dangers of being home alone and on hefty drugs🤣 look after your health folks 👍

Orange is the new black 😂

Extravagance FTW! I was lusting after a Doxa professional (orange dial) for a year or two but I've been put off by some recent videos the watch is leaving a lot to be desired for a watch costing a few grand (retail). Doesn't diminish my need for orange though. Maybe not on the watch, but then on the strap! I actually have a bright orange Borealis rubber strap somewhere in the watch box. Must dig it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Apologies for not being around much lately, will explain later. For now, Wearing a 4006-7000 from November 1966 while getting some things done around the house

This month 55 years ago is when the first Bell-Matic was released. A very fitting picture from the time

"A fisherman fights a dolphin near Kana Port on November 22, 1966 in Ito, Shizuoka, Japan" kind of like the experience I had during the final seconds of the auction! :)

Raven Trekker - I'm a big fan of blue lume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Stuhrling 47mm Automatic

Post edited by Wibbs on

Advertisement