Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

if it were black id be curious if i wasnt broke :) never any harm in throwing something in the sales thread here and adverts...

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Ian OB

Today its a Breitling homage/ripoff by Jaragar. Wife got it for me on wish. Under €30 including postage. Runs a little fast, but still under 1 minute per day.

It stopped working a week after arrival. She got on to wish, no quibble refund Yay!!😁 Out with the vice grips to open the back of it. Gave the little gold wheel a poke with a knife & we're back in action.

For those who don't use their timepieces as stores of wealth, its hard to go wrong for €30 in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Have to ask. Do the sub dials and internal bezel work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

"For those who don't use their timepieces as stores of wealth, its hard to go wrong for €30 in fairness."

If you're spending €30 on a watch then you're better off buying quartz, something like a Timex or a Casio. Any watch, even if it was cheap money would freak me out if it was out by around 1 min/day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Quote "For those who don't use their timepieces as stores of wealth, its hard to go wrong for €30 in fairness."

I think you covered how it went wrong fairly well 🤣

• Advertisement

Thanks Ian, at 30notes for a functional chrono, that's bloody amazingly😮 cheap. Well wear and long may it carry on ticking for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭893bet

Happy I kept this one (ie no one would pay me what it’s worth). Withdrawn and gonna hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Mostly work-related. But interesting nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

Funny I quoted the top one in a post on Fitz’ YouTube thread a few days ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭scwazrh

It’s only worth what’s someone’s willing to pay 😉

It'd want to move by more than 3 or 4 a day for me to actually notice. There are very few scenarios in a year that require that kind of accuracy from me.

That’s it. Niche is even more niche in the Irish market. Have you tried tz ? A buyer bought my aqua Terra and shipped to Poland so it’s not a completely closed off market post brexit. For a watch that expensive a trip north of the border to post or even a cheap flight be cheaper than the import related fees…unkel will be along shortly to admonish my tax evasion suggestions

Not forgetting that as it "failed to proceed", got the money back. So a freebie 😁💶💶⌚

TBH...

I'm starting to think I need a standby fund to take full advantage of @893bet when he starts musing a sale 😉 never let him have 2nd thoughts 😂

Omega has this funny way of building exceptional watches that lack some emotion...or lack a feeling. Hard to articulate what they are missing except to say they are lacking something. I think the "Brosnan" era bond seamasters somehow resonate more than the modern ones. A lot of us are of an age where the bond seamaster was the grail watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

The Bond watch was always "that watch that everyone else seems to like" for me.

Give me a Speedmaster any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

For me i always associate seamasters with lads in their 20s, that will one day chop it for a sub, so even though i have been quite taken with a few of them down the years i never bought one (now that im 40 :()

I think the constant evolvement of the aesthetic works against them, an old seamaster looks dated now in the way an old submariner doesnt.

I agree with this tbh, very much the usual "good" 1st watch. But, that could well be because a tranche of us in here were hit in our formative yrs with the Omega/Bond ads 🤔

I am considering a Seamaster currently. One I don't see often, it's the 2535.80.00 wave dial from early noughties.

I've seen one on insta on an aquaterra rubber and it's caught my eye tbh. Explorer 2 size and heft without the Rolex price tag.

• Advertisement

I think it’s very much an income based thing to. Most people probably thing the seamaster is a sizeable chunk of their income to spend on a watch and for many it’s their grail watch. We need to be conscious of what others have said. Not everyone can afford or wants to spend more than 1k nevermind 3, 10 or 100k on watches

Mick, I'm not knocking Omega or Seamasters. Rather that in our group here I'd guess our age profile would be a bell curve covering the 40-60 age group. We were peak Bond really and Bond's watches and his use of them, from Geiger counters and lasers, to cheeky zip opening magnets all play a mostly subconscious role in what we like and gravitate towards IMO.

From the older amongst us remembering the Rolex and Milsub, to the younger of the curve remembering Moore and his Seiko's and Hamilton, Dalton and Tag, or Brosnan and the Omega.

Let's be honest, an Omega of any flavour is a sizeable chunk of change and is a dent in anyone's income. Nor is anyone knocking having one as a grail.

The seamaster is a very good quality watch and at €5500 ish retail price it’s got a luxury watch price tag to match.it’s certainly an aspirational watch and I’m sure a grail for a lot of people.

As has been said many times before ,watch forum users don’t make up the largest portion of watch buyers.Most of us here can get turned off a watch by something as minor as the text font or rotor noise or some other minor point that majority of people wouldn’t even notice so I suppose most of our complaints about a watch need to be taken with a pinch of salt .

That said mine is up for sale if anyone’s interested in trying one

I own a couple of 'Bond' Omegas but that aspect is of no interest to me.

Ah yeah Mick we all get that, but this is a watch forum. Dont think anyone would slag off a Seamaster as a entry level watch....but it is entry level into the obsessive hobby of luxury watch collecting. A lot of us started there, and I see a lot of people in the community in general started there. Once you taste the hobby at that level you want to progress (or a lot of us do, but there is also the contrary exception or person who runs out of interest at this point).

I dont think opinions should be neutered cause they might offend and really in this hobby where both a 30 euro and a 3million euro item are both classed as a watch, being offended or annoyed because people are discussing things you can not, or dont want to buy is for,(in the immortal words of Boris) great supine protoplasmic invertebrate jellies.

Astute observation I am going to steal that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭893bet

40-60? Ye old fcuks. Ye might aswell check out now.

I don't fall into the 40-60 YO category.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1 Omega among other things went the fashionable route, Rolex went and have gone since the 1970's the very conservative route.Fashionable can certainly work, QV TAG Whooer's massive popularity back in the 90's into the early 00's. One could argue Hublot are similar with extra zeros at the end. The conservative route works far better for the middle aged middle class golfist bloke, who as a demographic tend not to like loud noises in their lives or to appear too loud themselves. Where a slight bezel colour change causes ripples, but not too many ripples. Unless there's a mid life crisis afoot of course. 😁 When someone is paying for luxury, conservative that is recognised as such is by far the better bet in that demographic. The young and very flush are more likely to go for a modish Hublot or gangsta PP, iced out of course. If they go for a watch at all.

Plus there is a big general difference between watch collectors and general watch buyers who will buy only one Good Watch, though depending on the current waves there can be some overlap. But there is a bit of a gulf. The aforemented TAG at the height of its wave as the Good Watch to buy was looked down upon by the cognoscenti.

I'm not so sure of the Bond/Rolex thing in the middle aged types though. Not unless you're at the very top end of that age group. Speaking as a middle aged fart myself, my first Bond memories are not of Rolex, or Connery, but of Moore and a swath of Pulsar and later digitals. At least in period. I suspect the Bond Sub thing is far more a newly formed nostalgia fostered by the interwebs if you know what I mean. Though I do recall watching a Connery Bond on the telly with my dad and asking him why Jimmy was checking his watch with a gieger counter and him telling me about the radioactive glow in the dark stuff, but that was the early 80's.

On topic.. 😮😁 And speaking of middle aged farts, it's my birthday today and I usually wear this on this date as other than a couple of family hierlooms it's the watch I have the longest.

And it's way older than me so there's that. 😊

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Well that hurts 😞 Guess I'll just die then😂

They are tapering off towards the flared bit alright 😉

Advertisement