Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Starting to really warm to the polaris Mariner, wasn't sure at the start but it's a high quality watch for sure.

not quite sure why that has uploaded the wrong way round.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Seems to be a glitch in the new Vanilla matrix.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Always loads ok for me. 😎

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ditto, though I did have a few early Oysters and Bubblebacks way back when they were a thing. Couldn't give them away now. Then again the hobby and market has changed quite a bit over the last five to ten years. The vintage market is pretty much stagnant, even dead in some areas and the vintage collector type themselves much more of a minority these days. Today the market is much more about the aspirational luxury end and "levelling up" in that, with a side order of "investment". It has invigorated the hobby and market though and driven up quality in the new watch area. EG Rolex went from some of the crappiest bracelets in the market to pretty much the best and their movement quality went from remarkably crappy at even the much cheaper old prices to very nice quality today. Then you see AP's and Pateks which were pretty much absent from collections not so long ago and certainly within ordinary everyday collections. The wheel turns an' that and it will turn again.

Pretty much one year on from when I got this and after some tweaking to the timing a month after I got it. A limited to 1000 examples 1988 Longines VHP 1000 Oe.

Currently running four seconds fast compared to atomic time. So accurate to around five seconds per year. They were advertised as guaranteed to be accurate to under a minute in five years, so it's well within that. I could try tweaking it more, but I reckon I'd bugger it up. 🤔🙂 As it is it would pass Marine Chronometer specs and would outperform such movements as found in Omega's Marine Chronometer of the 1970's, so not too bad.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

my Seiko Sla043 is going to be worn a lot.. the Datejust is awesome but i feel more relaxed wearing the Seiko even though its a 4.5k retail watch... its amazing wearing the datejust walking last night i was a bit more conscious of having something others might want to steal off me on my wrist.. never really felt that with the speedmaster or aqua terra

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Another excellent feature of the Rolex lineup is that you can choose models depending on your level...there is a good selection of models and price points. With Omega once you have done the speedmaster and the seamaster you are really done, unless you want to go deep into special editions and vintage.

I think the lads on here are just getting older and more settled and its a natural progression to get into Rolex after you have done the other brands,

Hulk day today for me, along with the lunch of champions, have started bringing in my lunch to avoid wasting money in the cafe, these Rollies dont buy themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

That is a pretty good take on the Omega lineup. What they are good at, they are very good at, but I find their lineup limited. Could be just my taste, of course.

I wear this a lot more than I thought I would. Bought it on a wine-fuelled slip-of-the-buy-button before the summer. CWC G10. It is small, but comfortable. (How do I rotate it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I’ve the seamaster and speedie and neither of them get worn.I did get the seamaster the same day as my first sub so it never really got a good chance to be enjoyed .it’s a strange watch though , it has everything you would want in a dive watch plus an interesting dial but just doesn’t seem to have a draw to make you want to wear it.

I think the lads on here are just getting older and more settled and its a natural progression to get into Rolex after you have done the other brands,

The watch hobby, current or vintage was always a middle aged man thing as far as the majority of the collecting demographic went. When I first got involved in interwebs groups and forums back in the mid 90's when I was in my twenties I would have been one of the few younger guys in the mix(at auctions/fairs in the 80's it was even more obvious). It's only latterly I've grown into that demographic by virtue of remaining above ground. 😁 If anything there are more younger types in the mix these days(and women, though they're still a tiny minority). So it's much more about the market and the marketing and the "natural progression" rather than the demographic that's changed. Or the economy for that matter. At the height of our Celtic Tiger, when I knew someone in the high end trade here and when the watch hobby had already gained more mainstream traction it was very rare to see Patek, AP etc outside of one off jewellery buyer type purchases. Unless they were precious metal with extra sparkles Rollies barely figured in that market and steel pretty much never did. They were considered too "ordinary". Indeed IWC complications outsold them by quite the margin. In gold or platinum of course. If I had suggested even ten years ago that currently available new steel sports models of Rolex were going to be worth more than precious metal examples on the grey/secondhand market I'd have been laughed out of it. Ditto if I'd suggested brands like IWC, or Franck Muller(even TAG Heuer) would be pretty much gone by the wayside in the hobby. In essence the surfers are still pretty much the same, but the wave has changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be honest, the forum is quickly becoming irrelevant to the ordinary watch buyer in the street. It's all high end stuff being posted and discussed, out of the budget of the vast majority.

There are a few holdouts N. 😁 I do take your point, though again I've seen kinda similar before across other forums. TZ-UK went very much Rolex owners club for a while, though because of the larger poster base there was generally some other interest going on. It probably still is like that to some degree, though TBH I've not browsed there in ages. Over the years in the new watch segment there's been an IWC wave, an Omega, a dress watch wave, a military inspired one and 60's and 70's waves in vintage and new homages. If you're riding the wave it's hard to see it and often the more money involved the less you want to, but standing on the shore gives more perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Was out for a stroll and a sneaky lunchtime pint earlier and got to paw this PAM again. It really is a stunning watch and...

Much to my chagrin 😣 I've finally figured out why they put a PR on the back of a watch. I cannot believe it took me this long to realise why it's a great idea 😂

It's great to see the Pams getting love again. For a while they were another brand that went off radar. Gotta love the sandwich dials. 🙂 Years ago on another forum there was a lad who had one of the original WW2 Kampfschwimmer jobs. He had worn it often enough for years, but they had started to really climb in value so he put it in a safety deposit box with a couple of other vintage military pieces. For the craic on one visit he brought a geiger counter as he'd read about the dangers of radium(which wasn't really a big concern in the hobby at the time). The thing went completely nuts, literally off the scale of the particular counter. Scarily high. He sold it soon enough after. They really ladled it on thick.

Just to play devils advocate I wonder how the conversation would go if I commented that there are far too many affordable watches being posted? As far as I know, everyone posting watches here is a working stiff. But I suppose those with more, higher end watches will be more enthusiastic to share and discuss.

In fairness this is probably the most inclusiveness section of Boards where the majority share a common interest, people have different budgets, priorities etc which means the value of the watches they have differ but i dont ever see any snobbery about it.

Personally, before i had expensive watches they were still the ones i was interested in seeing and reading about anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭893bet

The “ordinary” watch buyer has upped their spend alot!!

Where as a new Omega was a big deal 10 years ago, now, Omega are 10 a penny. Few have “one good watch” and flip it and to buy another, rather collections are built and the watch pot is added to and levelled up.

Still a place for everyone. Anyone can start a thread on “low end” stuff (I saw low end as you mentioned high end). If other people are interested they will post.

I only really have personal interest in “haute” quality watches, not directly related to watch value but they usually are expensive…..hence I have no real interesting in owning most Rolex as they are not high end in my eyes….! Rather I spend some(most?) (all?) of my time watching videos of Brequet, Patek, Vacheron, ALS, Dornblüth, Lang and Heyne, Urban Jurgenson, Habring, Kudoke etc.

Well the PAM is lovely, but alas not mine. No doubt tho, the lad who owns it is sharing far less attractive photos of my Black Bay somewhere too 😂

The price range of some of the regulars here certainly has jumped a little hasn't it!

I would and do hope that wouldn't put off anyone from posting their "affordable" bits. An f91-w is as much a fun watch as a Patek, perhaps not as interesting, complex or intrinsically valuable but no less as important a contribution imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Good to see the expensive watches on here but I also have seen a load of "cheaper" watches that I think look great and would really consider buying.. I'm just not committed / or lazy though and tend to stick with what I've got. I like to see the variety here as there are plenty that I've never heard of and like and don't mind whether they're rolex prices or not

I'd certainly agree with this and as I have been known to bang on about 😉It's also IMO one of the nicest corners of boards.

From advice and chat through to charitable support, particular Thirdfox's effort for alone and the money that was raised for the grief project in Limerick of the back of an Invicta and a swell of generosity from an awful lot of posters here. Down to posters sharing straps, bars and tools. I know I am lucky enough to have an AP band strap on my IWC and a very kinky red silicon on my Sinn that posters here literally gifted me.

If and when I can pay that generosity forward I will (Have a set of black 22mm Sinn silicon cut for 7.25" wrist if anyone's looking 😉).

Now one of the other reasons I think this corner is great is the general lack of pretentiousness or outright snobbery. There are some fantastic pieces and collections here and in general all are shared without the effort to overpower others with the "value" it's very much a show and tell with sometimes robust opinions offered rather than backslapping and awe.

So TL:DR.

Lovely gaff, sound people, great watches from €10 to €100k and if anyone needs a short Sinn 22mm silicon, shout!😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I went all electric today, vehicle and watch.Both emit a a high pitch whine, do pedestrians fear they'll be run over by a tuning fork.

In other news I had a watch come from Japan to portlaois only to be returned to Japan. I assume there is an I not dotted or a t uncrossed somewhere. It's a 8f56 Seiko with a salmon pink dial. Ah well, we'll get it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I remember reading here that

"buying a moonwatch at €3k breaks the mental barrier of spending a lot on a watch " ,

I think it was either yourself or Fitz that posted it and seems to be true for most here as majority seem to have bought a moonwatch and then spent upwards from there.

edit to say --

And a good few of us all seem to have bought the same moonwatch so I blame whoever the first person was that brought that particular watch to the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭porker36

Just to add that i was joking about the rolex watches and time pieces name, i also enjoy seeing the high end stuff, dont post much as my knowledge base isnt up to the experts on here but do log in most days to see what people are buying and wearing.

love the panerai, def the watch i would love to buy next, great shot by the way with kings johns castle in the background😊

I think the barriers are:

1. Should I wear a watch at all? - if yes move to number 2
    2. Should I get a mechanical watch? - Hey these are kinda cool move to number 3.
    3. Should I Get more than one watch? - Gosh there are a lot of different watches out there this is fun move to number 4.
    4. Should I spend more than 500 euro on a watch? - This watch is way nicer than my last one, bet there is better out there move to 5.
    5. Should I spend more than 3000 euro on a watch? - These swiss watches are class, bet I can flog this one and get a different one move to 6...people with some sense of moderation will stay here, lots and lots of great watches around here.
    6. Should I spend close to 10,000 on a watch? - Never thought I would get this deep in, sure in for a penny.Didnt think I was a "insert popular but oft maligned brand in here" person.....move to 7.
    7. Should I spend close to 20,000 on a watch? - This is defo my grail watch, one and done baby...move to 8.
    8. Should I spend more than 40,000 on a watch? - Need to complete holy trinity, need the dopamine hit, why is my life so empty? I have opinions on perpetual calendar pateks, sky is the limit after this, or just sell em all and get into a different hobby.
    9. Should I seek professional help this is becoming a real problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

So Step 4 is basically Everest base camp, it’s taken a little effort to get here, although not too taxing, the view ahead is spectacular, and you look at the lads up on the higher slopes wondering whether you’ll ever go there without getting a nosebleed!

So PAM's and their Luminosity....😮😮😮

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Probably the last BBQ of the year.

Not sure what the deal is with the rotation of the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Does anybody else spend (some) evenings at this craic..? Or is it just me trying to re-invent existing watches into new ones.

Following Fitz's nine step programme into watch addiction, I feel a decent diver coming on to complete a decent enough lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

I like the choice of reading material!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Sporting this one today.

This is my third time wearing it since I got it in 2017. Considering passing it on. Does anyone recommend anywhere other than Watchfinder? I didn't think their offer was great considering it's basically brand new.

Advertisement