Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I brought it to Weirs. New glass, dial, repolished case and bracelet and a full service for €1550 in the end.

Don't think I actually posted a picture of the damage before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭micks_address

Wow balls that was unfortunate result of drop. Still it’s a new watch now. Didn’t take that long?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I dropped it into Weirs in the second week of July so about 12 weeks in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Glad you have it back hitemfrank! Great watch and undervalued in today's mad market. I have a strong hankering for a Z-blue one myself now I've tried one on in Belfast. That bastard Fitz didn't even think of offering it to me before he sold his to a trader a few weeks ago 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

4006-7000 from January 1967 on the wrist this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Fitz II

You would have low balled me anyway 🤣

Used it to sweeten a deal, was a shame to let it go but I wanted to liquidate a few quick and it really hammered to me the keepers and the not so important watches to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Currently on gardening leave while I wait to start a new job and using the time to explore some of the local walking trails.

The new U50 and is settling in nicely, I have worn it for a week straight and with daily wear and letting it wrest crown up at night it is currently running at +0.5 seconds p/day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Wait, you use your watch for accurate time-keeping? 😀

Nice pic & watch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In contrast: Taken with a potato while typing up an invoice.

1934 Zenith pilot's watch with centre seconds complication.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Why was the crown so long on them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Quick and dirty answer. Is that the watch needed to be adjustable/windable in an unpressurized and unheated cockpit. Many pilots would wear fur lined gloves so the bigger crown and longer stem kept the watch functional.

Wibbs' will be along shortly with a fuller answer 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Easier to operate whilst wearing gloves in flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Everydays a school day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What Banie said. 😁 They also came on long straps so you could wear them over your flight jacket. The large fixed ribbon lugs allowed easier swapping of straps and more security. They were also much larger at 42mm(46mm lug to lug) than an everyday man's watch of the time, which would have been a tiny by today's standards 25mm by 35mm tank. This made them more readable and meant they could fit a much larger movement, mainspring and balance wheel for higher accuracy. This design was also the first watch design with a rotating bezel and pointer for timing intervals in flight. Longines who were the big name in aviation circles refined the bezel idea by placing it outside the main case for better seailing and pretty much all of the bezels we see on diver watches today copied that layout, though they came along much later in the 1950's when Blancpain came out with the modern diver's watch design. Black dials with lots of radium for lume was part of this 30's design. They were nearly all subsecond watches(secondshand at 6 in it's own dial), Zenith produced a few centre seconds examples like my example, but they were more expensive because of the added complication so are rarer. They also produced a ladies version for women pilots(which were very much a thing) at 35mm which was again huge compared to the tiny barely legible ladies watches of the time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It's new strap day! I've been waiting months on a couple of straps that were ordered from Vietnam and the 1st of them arrived this morning. The delay is more to do with a combo of lockdowns and waiting on material needed (inserts as a base and template) and Vietnamese lockdowns. Than it is any failing on the part of the supplier.

It's a grey Ostrich skin strap for my IWC. I'm very, very happy with its finish and will throw up more pics when I get around to swapping over the good clasp and putting the strap on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Pulled the trigger on Saturday. Bought new as the 2nd hand prices are the same. It was either that or a 2020/2021 second hand Seamaster ewhich is the same price but I prefer the more understated matte finish rather than the more blingy Seamaster. I have to admit I had absolutely zero interest in Tudor up to a few months ago but they have grown on me. It came with the rubber strap which I put on straight away.

Lovely PG, really love the Pelagos and I miss my own so much I'm considering buying a new one and, weirdly!

Have fallen into the same choice you found yourself in. The Pelagos or the Seamaster. Truth be told tho? I may buy both 🤷‍♂️

On the subject of photos and stuff. I swapped in the new strap but I had a thought whilst doing it. I have a genuine IWC clasp and a fake 1 that came with a canvas strap I bought earlier in the year. So in the interest of highlighting the fake before I chuck it. Enjoy and I hope I won't have to tell anyone which is which.😉

And an obligatory wristroll of the new strap! I look forward to this softening on the wear in but, I am really happy with it and how it goes.

On the same subject I was more drawn to the IWC Aquatimer initially (and far less ubiquitous) but the more I researched it the more sensible choice was the Seamaster but then veered to the Pelagos.

The JLC Reverso Tribute Duoface is still the dream for another few years.

Based on the third pic down I would say the bottom deployment is fake.

• Advertisement

Decided to go with the trip to Westport for a night, some good reading material while on the train

Still trying to make the decision regarding tools, don't need the expensive ones starting out, but have been warned about cheap tools. Then there are the toolkits and buying individually, a bit more research is in order! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I'd say go for one of the really cheap tool kits and see what you need from it, you'll upgrade some tools really quickly but some will be good enough to keep you going. You can easily spend a fortune on good tools so i think its worth starting off with the cheap ones (on cheap watches)

Thanks for the reply, thinking the same way myself, looking at some of the prices just for tweezers alone! Better idea to work my way up.

Meanwhile, currently enjoying looking around Westport, pictures around Westport house currently undergoing renovation work

Fitted the new strap to the IWC and it's had a couple of days wear. I am very taken with it and the effect it has on the watch overall. So with that in mind I thought I'd throw up some more photos and a short review. Ziczac Leather is already well known in watch circles as a good strap maker and this is my 1st strap from him(altho there is also a custom strap in progress too).

The grey and the patterning and the variation of both the colour and the drop shading, really IMO do a great job of picking up the colour of the dial and its colour shift and sunburst. It's very different from the other straps I have for it and really does a great job of making my wrist a little more interesting than just the watch head.

This cost me @€55 delivered including the dreaded VAT 😉 and was very well worth it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭893bet

I would love to say I love it.

But it’s just behind Unkels sting ray for me……😊

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭micks_address

id say its one of those that the picture doesnt do it justice

Well... I don't know whether to be happy or sad at that comparison but I certainly hate being 2nd 😂

I think/hope so Mick 👍

Well done.

Personally, I would deem the strap as ...courageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Fitz II

A Challenging aesthetic Banie.

• Advertisement

Seems to be a consensus here alright. That said, it does work really well in the flesh. The colour and the shading in wear are like an extension of the dial.

Advertisement