Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote working public servants not entitled to take flexi time.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

No it isn't. Not. Even. Slightly.

Should staff who work from home be penalised and treated differently than office based staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

GarIT wrote: »
    Yeah you got your PUP or EWSS because I was at home scratching myself rather than writing the code for 25% less money than I could get in the private sector tomorrow.

I wasn’t in receipt of either. I have been working from home for 7 years and my job wasn’t affected in the slightest by the pandemic. Thanks anyway. You’re a true National hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

I'm assuming you've read and understood the DPER guidelines on Flexi? Just in case, the below is the appropriate section. Can you enlighten us as to what you'd like local management to do for you considering the below?

4.1 How should flexi-time operate during the period of COVID-19?

The normal operation of flexi-time, or equivalent attendance management rules, including any flexi-time accruals and deficits, continues to remain temporarily suspended for those employees who are working under different arrangements.
    This includes those who are working from home and working different shift patterns etc., which are required in order to support social distancing and public health requirements.
    Flexi-time arrangements will be re-introduced with effect from 24 August 2020 and/or commencement of the organisation’s next viable flexi period. This arrangement applies only in circumstances where employees are attending the employer’s work premises and are working their normal, pre-COVID work attendance patterns.
    For those employees where flexi-time remains temporarily suspended, this arrangement does not preclude employers from using clocking in and out arrangements for monitoring purposes. Any balances accrued by employees before the suspension of flexible working hours arrangements can continue to remain and be held over until the COVID-19 working arrangements are no longer in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't really see a huge issue with this tbh.
    People that have to go into the office have to commute etc.
    I think most people would still take working from home given the current situation with no flexi?
    If it really annoys you why don't you ask to work in the office? It is a temporary measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

horsebox7 wrote: »
    All the same it's worth highlighting that staff who work remotely are being penalised.
    There are advantages and disadvantages to both situations.
    Personally, I think wfh offers more positives than working in an office.

• Advertisement

I believe working from home should not be penalised

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭phildub

Due to unprecedented cv19 arrangements public servants including those working in the local authority sector are not entitled to take flexi leave while those who are office based are entitled to take flexi leave which is unfair.

Waaa waa waa

I cant get over the entitledness of you. Absolutely people WFH should be treated differently than people working from the office. They are leaving their homes every day and risking their health and the health of their family members.

You can roll out of bed and you are at work, not commuting, you stop working and you're at home, not spending an hour or so of your day traveling home. You can put loads of washing on throughout the day, do house chores, run small errands throughout the day while they are in the office. They will they need to spend their weekends and evenings doing these tasks.

The fact that you think that it is a punishment and unfair that you get to work from the comfort and safety of your own home is absolutely outrageous, you should be ashamed of yourself. This is not typical times, you did not choose to work from home, the same they didn't not choose to put their health at risk by going to the office.

Be thankful for your job, be thankful for your home that you can stay safe in, be thankful for your health. And be thankful that every single day essential workers all over the country are leaving their homes every morning and risking their health in order to keep the country from total collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Due to unprecedented cv19 arrangements public servants including those working in the local authority sector are not entitled to take flexi leave while those who are office based are entitled to take flexi leave which is unfair.

Good God, what is your problem. Thousands of people signing on today and all you can complain about is flexi time
    I lost my job today, have signed on for the PUP again so I`ll look forward to receiving €350 per week
    Doubt I`ll have anything at all to go back to in December even if Level 5 is lifted as this is probably the final nail in the coffin
    Thanks for your concern for the private sector

I believe working from home should not be penalised

I'll refer you again to DPER. If you are in a union then you should address your concerns to them to see if DPER will change the present rules. You could always try contacting DPER directly. If not then you, your management and your organisation must work within the structure laid down by DPER

I'll refer you again to DPER. If you are in a union then you should address your concerns to them to see if DPER will change the present rules. You could always try contacting DPER directly. If not then you, your management and your organisation must work within the structure laid down by DPER

Thanks for your support

• Advertisement

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Good God, what is your problem. Thousands of people signing on today and all you can complain about is flexi time
    I lost my job today, have signed on for the PUP again so I`ll look forward to receiving €350 per week
    Doubt I`ll have anything at all to go back to in December even if Level 5 is lifted as this is probably the final nail in the coffin
    Thanks for your concern for the private sector

We're all in this together.

phildub wrote: »
    Waaa waa waa

I cant get over the entitledness of you. Absolutely people WFH should be treated differently than people working from the office. They are leaving their homes every day and risking their health and the health of their family members.

You can roll out of bed and you are at work, not commuting, you stop working and you're at home, not spending an hour or so of your day traveling home. You can put loads of washing on throughout the day, do house chores, run small errands throughout the day while they are in the office. They will they need to spend their weekends and evenings doing these tasks.

The fact that you think that it is a punishment and unfair that you get to work from the comfort and safety of your own home is absolutely outrageous, you should be ashamed of yourself. This is not typical times, you did not choose to work from home, the same they didn't not choose to put their health at risk by going to the office.

Be thankful for your job, be thankful for your home that you can stay safe in, be thankful for your health. And be thankful that every single day essential workers all over the country are leaving their homes every morning and risking their health in order to keep the country from total collapse.

I believe working from home should not be penalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

But we`re not are we ?
    You sit there with salary, pension and conditions intact and up to 1 million people will be unemployed tonight.

Hardly a level playing pitch and while it may not be your fault the government is pitching private sector versus public sector now

How the F do they think we are going to survive on €350 .

No mention of payment breaks yet, all we hear is contact your bank directly. I did that yesterday and they told me they have no guidelines yet

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭marty whelan

You gave away the wind up with this comment. I'm a civil servant btw.

Thanks for your support

You've been given what the rules are and your options. You could make a mature rational decision from the information available to you or continue to moan. You must be an absolute joy to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

I’m a civil servant myself. Came from the private sector a few years back. I can honestly say that anyone working from home should not have the benefit of flexitime

In my department there were a few pisstakers, once the pandemic started one colleague gave a BS story about how she needed to be home to care for her teenager as they had asthma - total crap. Anyway this one in particular clocked up about 10 hours flexitime in her first week. Logging in at 8 am and logged out at 7pm while doing absolutely nothing all day. In fact on a few occasions she’d send a Snapchat while waiting in line for a shop and another time sent a photo “wrecked after me 5km jog”. All of these came in core hours - a total disgrace!

She then put up a post of her clock at the end of the week with a load of smiley faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

TS- hundreds of thousands losing their jobs and you lot are worried about clock watching- really you lot another planet.
    All non essential public servants should be PUP- lots of made up nothing jobs in various quangos that we could gladly live without

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Divisadero wrote: »

Sorry OP if I was harsh.

I don't think I am anymore. It's unreal that you are still persisting with this. It seems you are incapable of taking off your blinkers and seeing this from the point of view of others reading your posts and how you come across. Talk about first world problems in a time of crisis. For example those in many parts of the private sector and on the public sector frontline. You are also providing ammo to public service critics who actually believe all the propaganda that we do the bare minimum. Which is far from the case. Have a look at all the threads on here with people desperate to find work in the public sector. Those who are in the midst of trying to get help with jumping through all the hoops just to get to the interview stage to make it onto a recruitment panel. Then consider counting your blessings.

Unless this is all a piss take and you are trolling. But I fear you're legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

This has to be a wind up to make the Public Sector look like entitled pricks.

OP if this isnt I have no idea what to say to you. Thousands of people had to sign on to PUP again today because they lost their jobs and all you can think of is flexi.

Get a grip OP and just be thankful you can still work minus both the financial and physical cost of commuting.

I'm an existing Civil Servant and very thankful I can still work be it at home or in the office. I dont give a damn about flexi at the moment, it doesnt matter right now.

And no I'm not sitting around scratching my arse looking at box sets or Netflix all day. I'm quite busy when I'm working at home.

I don't believe working from home should be penalised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I believe working from home should not be penalised.

But unfortunately or fortunately working from home is creating a new way of working and benefits that were previously part of employment packages

If a job went in an office for Dublin let's say software development for 60k(just an example

Then that is the salary on offer to entice the individual to work on site in Dublin and commute to to/within Dublin for this role and live in Dublin OR bear the commute cost and time to Dublin

Now, if the work can be done remotely Eg from back arse of kerry, then should 60k still be the package on the table??

People may say oh yes,
    Because its the same job

But no, salaries and working conditions are offered on the conditions and requirements of the role

My point??

Well now that people can work from home, thus reducing commutes means something has got to give

Employees cant have it each and every way

Flexi time maybe the '' benefit '' that is now removed since there is now no commute Involved

It's not that '' home working '' is being penalised

This isn't an attack on home working or YOU

The conditions and reality of how the role and location is performed has changed and with that will Change the '' benefits ''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

You gave away the wind up with this comment. I'm a civil servant btw.

Agree, troll alert I reckon.

I very much believe as an Irish citizen that we are all in this together and l am entitled to my opinion on this. I don't believe it is helpful to pit sectors against one another. All sectors are integral to our society and our economy. All l ask for is equality and for remote working staff not to be penalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Covidhaveago

No issues here with taking of flexi leave not being allowed while WFH. Most of my direct reports have chosen to take barely any annual leave since lockdown began, imagine its something similar same across the CS.

Agree, troll alert I reckon.

Unfair comment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Unfair comment

Unfair that you’re posting on Boards on taxpayers time.

I very much believe as an Irish citizen that we are all in this together and l am entitled to my opinion on this. I don't believe it is helpful to pit sectors against one another. All sectors are integral to our society and our economy. All l ask for is equality and for remote working staff not to be penalised.

Again, what part of the DPER guidelines do you believe is punishing you? Remote workers have more flexibility than those few who are onsite due to business needs or equipment issues. The flexibility of the remote worker is balanced by allowing those who are back on site and working per the DPER guidelines access to Flexi.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

TBH I've run out of box sets and even got bored of getting a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Addle wrote: »
    You don’t have to commute, don’t have to take time off for home related absences. You can’t have it every way.

What about if you need time off for school collections or drop offs? Have a medical appointment? Or if you have no one to mind your child etc for part of the day. Just because you work from home doesn't mean you have no excuse not to be at work

• Advertisement

You’re taking the piss, right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement