Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote working public servants not entitled to take flexi time.

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

Longer hours? The average working week is less in the private sector.

Think logically, there's far more zero hour contracts and part time staff in the private sector. I and a lot of public sector staff work more than 40 hours as standard. 42 hours is my working week for example. I worked 40 in the private sector albeit with unpaid overtime (salaried position, not hourly) and from what I can see there's a lot of places now offering 30 to 35 as 'full-time'.

Same with flexi time, it's becoming more and more common. Most of the large tech companies staff are on it.

Lastly, they are doing their hours. They are taking time off in leu of payment for extra hours worked aka overtime.

Again, it's a condition of the employment. Why should they just give it up?

Agree

Karlos77 wrote: »
    Invalid

NA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I am all for flexi-time for those working from home on the proviso they are electronically tagged and within 5 feet of their pc during office hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Karlos77

horsebox7 wrote: »
    NA

You are the Irish Trump...I would prefer to listen to Trump. ..the smell of horse maneure from your box is sickening

You are a disgrace to the civil service

Karlos77 wrote: »
    You are the Irish Trump...I would prefer to listen to Trump. ..the smell of horse maneure from your box is sickening

You are a disgrace to the civil service

You sound like you are angry. Have you considered anger management?

• Advertisement

jaffusmax wrote: »
    I am all for flexi-time for those working from home on the proviso they are electronically tagged and within 5 feet of their pc during office hours.

May be challenging to achieve your criteria in a democratic republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Karlos77

You sound like you are angry. Have you considered anger management?

Fake news

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Due to unprecedented cv19 arrangements public servants including those working in the local authority sector are not entitled to take flexi leave while those who are office based are entitled to take flexi leave which is unfair.

I've had no job for most of the year, I would happily do your job under the current conditions you have outlined just to had a job. I would love to work from home and get paid, safe from potential covid interactions, comfortable in my own surroundings without other staff to bug me so I can work without distraction, still able to get some stuff done around house while working and not have to fork out for travel to work and lunches, can have nice prepped fresh food.

You seem to claim how its unfair it is compared to those who must attend office having a benefit without realizing or caring how unfair it is for those staff attending office having to risk more covid exposure, higher spending with travel etc.

Its no wonder a folks see the public service as a lazy number for many, a lot of greedy folks who make petty demands and throw tantrums when they don't get their way without consideration for others.

Please forward me your reporting managers details so I can take your role as you feel so aggrieved.

I've had no job for most of the year, I would happily do your job under the current conditions you have outlined just to had a job. I would love to work from home and get paid, safe from potential covid interactions, comfortable in my own surroundings without other staff to bug me so I can work without distraction, still able to get some stuff done around house while working and not have to fork out for travel to work and lunches, can have nice prepped fresh food.

You seem to claim how its unfair those who must attend office having a benefit without realizing or caring how unfair it is for those staff attending office having to risk more covid exposure, higher spending with travel etc.

Its no wonder a folks see the public service as a lazy number for many, a lot of greedy folks who make petty demands and throw tantrums when they don't get their way without consideration for others.

Please forward me your reporting managers details so I can take your role as you feel so aggrieved.

You have my sympathies. However l believe conditions for remote working should be equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You have my sympathies. However l believe conditions for remote working should be equal.

It's been explained that you are operating on a false premise.

You should focus on being a good employee after causing so much trouble earlier in the year for refusing to work or work from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

And that is where you are wrong, you think by remote working you are missing out on flexi time, what about those going to office are missing out on working from home. I am sure a lot of those people do not want to be there and would prefer your position.

Why not swap with someone in office if you feel so strongly and it is an option?

noodler wrote: »
    It's been explained that you are operating on a false premise.

You should focus on being a good employee after causing so much trouble earlier in the year for refusing to work or work from home.

Rubbish.

And that is where you are wrong, you think by remote working you are missing out on flexi time, what about those going to office are missing out on working from home. I am sure a lot of those people do not want to be there and would prefer your position.

Why not swap with someone in office if you feel so strongly and it is an option?

Thanks for your advice

Perhaps remote working staff could have the same conditions they had before the unprecedented pandemic, which is more than likely going to be around for the foreseeable.

Perhaps remote working staff could have the same conditions they had before the unprecedented pandemic, which is more than likely going to be around for the foreseeable.

its very hard to see yr case as genuine with the amount of effort you are putting into replies.

have you spoken to yr manager or yr hr

while the pandemic is ongoing, youve no case for looking for things to return to normal

thats all been said to you many times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

So many in the public sector think they're really hard done by...they need a wake-up call....

Rodin wrote: »
    So many in the public sector think they're really hard done by...they need a wake-up call....

so many in the private sector misunderstand how anything non-profit works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

There are some but i wouldn't say so many.

Not in the place i work anyway, but i will admit there is a couple when they start their bleating, i want to bury my fist in their faces.

its very hard to see yr case as genuine with the amount of effort you are putting into replies.

have you spoken to yr manager or yr hr

while the pandemic is ongoing, youve no case for looking for things to return to normal

thats all been said to you many times

Yes. Thanks for your genuine advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

How is this thread still going? The OP has displayed they have no interest in any of the advice/answers they have been given. They are waiting for someone to pop along and tell them that their moaning is justified.

• Advertisement

You seem to claim how its unfair it is compared to those who must attend office having a benefit without realizing or caring how unfair it is for those staff attending office having to risk more covid exposure, higher spending with travel etc.

Are you seriously suggesting that working from home is a public sector thing? Seriously?

www.publicjobs.ie

has, is and will continue to recruit. If you didnt join between 2008 and now, thats entirely on you. Correct your error and apply

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    This thread is heading down the old "public vs. private" job rabbit hole for a while now; OP has gotten answers even if OP may not like them and the thread is going in circles without progress while generating an inordinate amount of noise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement