Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote working public servants not entitled to take flexi time.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭maneno

Core hours are 10am-12:30pm and 2:30pm to 4:00pm

Flexible working bands are 8am to 7pm.

The standard working day (or normal attendance period) is 9:00am to 5:45pm on Monday to Thursday and 9.00am to 5.15pm on Friday with 1 hour and 15 minutes for lunch break each day.

Asking for the third time, have you been asked to work the standard working day?

She will come back with the response “invalid”. The sense of entitlement on this one is mind boggling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 192 ✭✭Deshawn

Tork wrote: »
    Talk to your union rep if this is bothering you so much. As you can see, you have few supporters on this thread. Many of those disagreeing with you are civil servants too. Your entitled attitude is pissing people off and rightly so. You're working from home on full pay while thousands have lost their jobs and may never get them back. You have no idea how good you have it.

If I was you, I'd be more worried about who is going to pay for Covid when this is all over. After the crash of 2008, the government went after civil servants and cut their pay. If you think you'll still be sitting on your arse in 12 months time with the same take home pay you have today, you've got a shock coming your way.

Hear hear.
    I thought this thread was a pisstake at the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Deshawn wrote: »
    Hear hear.
    I thought this thread was a pisstake at the beginning.

Unfortunately not but there seems to be an attitude from people that civil servants have kept their jobs and that that is somehow wrong when others have lost theirs.

For the record it's not anybodies fault that someone else lost their job.

A lot of my friends have lost not only their jobs but the companies they built up of 30 years. Not one of them are blaming me for it because I've kept mine.

Honestly don't miss the flexi. Would make me reconsider the drive to get it if I ever get back to the office. The extra hours versus the time to see my family

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

Have you read recommendations for remote working from the law society? If so what does it say about flexi leave? Have you read the rte report on remote working? If so what are it's key findings?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Jim Root wrote: »
    Raise awareness? Lol. Be happy with your 2% recent increase and job security while the rest of the nation grapples paycuts, job losses and 70 hour weeks in order to keep the lights on. Christ almighty,

There is no 2% increase. There is a 2% restoration of a previous cut.

And btw, we're the ones keeping the lights on, literally and metaphorically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Okay this is my last post on this thread. Thank feck I hear you say. I shouldn't let crap on the internet get to me. So hands up this is a weakness on my part.

OP you don't come across as someone who would go above and beyond. But just in case as has already been said if you are working too many hours just stop doing it. Simple.

If you feel that hard done by and this is genuinely upsetting you quit and let somebody keen take your place. If they will replace you that is as we are in uncertain times. As I said this forum is filled with threads with people trying to get into the public service. Let them have a go.

Finally If this really is stressing you and you are unable to let it go perhaps you should speak to a friend or even a professional.

as a civil servant, i cant see a valid basis for complaint here.

not like the (very few) people having to still attend the office are all delighted about it.

and commute time back and the flexibility to work much more conveniently around anything i might want to get done is more than payback for the loss of flexi.

if youve spoke to your manager and explaines that you cannot get yr duties done in a normal working day then thats all you can do, theyll reserve the right to accept that or not as your manager.

i must say, despite being a staunch defender myself of the pay and conditions in the public sphere, i am often surprised at the vocal minority of my colleagues who find things to complain bitterly about regardless of circumstances.

but theres 300 odd thousand of us, or whatever it is. bound to be a few unrealistic moaners i spose.

Should remote working staff have different conditions to office staff?

Has anyone read the recommendations from the law society? Has anyone read the rte report?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

phildub wrote: »
    Waaa waa waa

I cant get over the entitledness of you. Absolutely people WFH should be treated differently than people working from the office. They are leaving their homes every day and risking their health and the health of their family members.

You can roll out of bed and you are at work, not commuting, you stop working and you're at home, not spending an hour or so of your day traveling home. You can put loads of washing on throughout the day, do house chores, run small errands throughout the day while they are in the office. They will they need to spend their weekends and evenings doing these tasks.

The fact that you think that it is a punishment and unfair that you get to work from the comfort and safety of your own home is absolutely outrageous, you should be ashamed of yourself. This is not typical times, you did not choose to work from home, the same they didn't not choose to put their health at risk by going to the office.

Be thankful for your job, be thankful for your home that you can stay safe in, be thankful for your health. And be thankful that every single day essential workers all over the country are leaving their homes every morning and risking their health in order to keep the country from total collapse.

Such nonsense. Be thankful for your job...please. This is the kind of sh1t Bill Cullen would trot out.

You'd swear employers hire people for altruistic reasons. Nobody is forced to work anywhere. You assess your skills, the marketplace and your career objectives - and seek suitable employment.

I don't have the problem that the OP has but I can see the unfairness of it. Two different rules for people doing the same job will always feel unfair.

• Advertisement

KaneToad wrote: »
    Such nonsense. Be thankful for your job...please. This is the kind of sh1t Bill Cullen would trot out.

You'd swear employers hire people for altruistic reasons. Nobody is forced to work anywhere. You assess your skills, the marketplace and your career objectives - and seek suitable employment.

I don't have the problem that the OP has but I can see the unfairness of it. Two different rules for people doing the same job will always feel unfair.

It is unfair l agree.

Please read the comprehensive reports on remote working from rte and the law society if you wish to put forward any further negative commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭noodler

horsebox7 wrote: »
    Should remote working staff have different conditions to office staff?

It is a bit unfair that office staff have to commute and have to work with more supervision.

OP, is working extra hours even an issue for you? Earlier threads showed you trying to permanently avoid working..while at home (for some vague covid). Is it true you are now actually working additional hours.or is all this hypothetical?

noodler wrote: »
    It is a bit unfair that office staff have to commute and have to work with more supervision.

OP, is working extra hours even an issue for you? Earlier threads showed you trying to permanently avoid working..while at home (for some vague covid). Is it true you are now actually working additional hours.or is all this hypothetical?

Separate issue to do with not having broadband previously.

Did u read reports from law society and rte? Perhaps not?

Simple. Give remote working staff time off in lieu for additional hours worked on work that has to be delivered. What's the issue? Remote working staff are monitored daily by line managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Covidhaveago

Horsebox, perhaps your best bet here is to contact PERs Civil Service HR policy unit to discuss the law society report.

Horsebox, perhaps your best bet here is to contact PERs Civil Service HR policy unit to discuss the law society report.

Yes perhaps. The law society report clearly states that staff should be credited in time for extra hours worked. The same should apply to civil service

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

PS worker here and don't have flexi time.

Am on the computer at the moment doing work. I'm not looking for a pat on the back but the idea that CS/PS workers do nothing is bizarre. Like all industries, workloads and personal availability has increased. It's hard to say no to a meeting when you are literally beside your computer 24/7.

Flexi time is a great thing to have and a lot of private sector employees have it in place. It being taken away is no big deal. If your boss is understanding and you need to take two hours at lunch to go to an appt then it should be fine. It really is pointless to complain about things like this when you have a pensionable job that won't be disappearing any time soon.

Has anyone read the recommendations from the law society? Has anyone read the rte report?

Yes I have.

NEITHER are specific to the Civil or Public Service.

The RTE article is generic to all WFH, including the private sector.

The Law Society report is also a set of generic guidelines for any employer who is considering allowing flexi time and WFH (not those who already have implemented them) and does NOT support your argument that REMOTE workers should be allowed accrue hours for flexi leave.

Final word - you fail to understand that flexible working hours are a privilege, not an entitlement, and your employer can change the terms of those conditions - including withdraw them - at any time.

As you continue to ignore straightforward questions, I am now out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

How is this thread still going?

OP, given the amount of civil and public sector workers who have told you to get a grip and get on with things, surely you have realised you are way out of line on this?

Hundreds of colleagues have contracted this disease in the line of duty. Some have even died from this virus in the course of their work.

Others have watched their parents funerals from abroad because they couldn't get home from posting. More again have consistenly worked crazy hours, into the early morning, trying to get to grips with this national emergency.

And you're moaning about flexi.

Come on.

Yes I have.

NEITHER are specific to the Civil or Public Service.

The RTE article is generic to all WFH, including the private sector.

The Law Society report is also a set of generic guidelines for any employer who is considering allowing flexi time and WFH (not those who already have implemented them) and does NOT support your argument that REMOTE workers should be allowed accrue hours for flexi leave.

Final word - you fail to understand that flexible working hours are a privilege, not an entitlement, and your employer can change the terms of those conditions - including withdraw them - at any time.

As you continue to ignore straightforward questions, I am now out.

Untrue.

HartsHat wrote: »
    How is this thread still going?

OP, given the amount of civil and public sector workers who have told you to get a grip and get on with things, surely you have realised you are way out of line on this?

I don't think so

I don't think so

Sorry, I'm new here to this thread but flexi time is great when you are in the office and doing overtime. If you are working from home and you are that unhappy with it do your main hours and refuse OT.

Again. You have an incremental, pensionable job, grin and bear. I am very lucky to have a job when so many are now surviving on 350 or less a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

I don't think so

Literally no one has agreed with you.

Untrue

Untrue

• Registered Users Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yes perhaps. The law society report clearly states that staff should be credited in time for extra hours worked. The same should apply to civil service

What does it say about the difficulty in verifying these hours have taken place?

Start/finish times action quite flexible when wfh.

Have you actually worked additional hours?

Has your line manager refused a local arrangement?

What does it say about the difficulty in verifying these hours have taken place?

Start/finish times action quite flexible when wfh.

Have you actually worked additional hours?

Has your line manager refused a local arrangement?

IMO, work from home IS as flexible as flexi. You don’t get the over time bonus points but your life, by its very nature, is more flexible now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Karlos77

Untrue

You are an absolute tosser ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement