Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edwin Poots

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Storey's funeral was in June and is still front-and-centre of your mind yet you suggest I'm ill.

Think about that.

You rant about Poots being a dog whistler, but you're just as bad as him on this little forum with your smart arse little post saying "Poots has an ally in the Souh"....

You know exactly what your doing matey, and you can get stuffed. Any negative posts against the IRA and you get you digs in.

I never said I was a fan of Poots, Mr smart arse

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

we have already taken the opportunities that the common wealth could offer by trading with the nations out of it worth trading with.

Which nations are you referring to?

How many people were at the Storey funeral. Which lasted one day?

How many people were at the BLM protests and how long did they last?

Which is likely to have lead to more spread of covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

You know exactly what your doing matey

Underscoring hypocrisy and rhetoric.
    Any negative posts against the IRA and you get you digs in

I know the IRA were a ruthless paramilitary organisation who did some vicious things and I know that the picture you paint of violence in Ireland is an utterly ridiculous Cowboys-and-Indians fantasy.

The British empire was literally built on murder and slavery and maintained by its threat and it was no different for Ireland.

Underscoring hypocrisy and rhetoric.

The British empire was literally built on murder and slavery and maintained by its threat and it was no different for Ireland.

Oh God no, not the British Empire again :rolleyes:

Honestly, must you bang on about the British Empire at every turn when a poster criticises the PIRA. It's like it gives you an electric shock if they're mentioned in a negative way, hilarious.

Back on planet earth, whether it's the Storey-IRA funeral, Cheltenham or a big GAA event, mass gatherings are not going to help the fight against Covid-19. A rather simple message really, and nothing to do with Empires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Honestly, must you bang on about the British Empire at every turn when a poster criticises the PIRA. It's like it gives you an electric shock if they're mentioned in a negative way, hilarious.

The Provos were a symptom of British/Unionist violence, expect to be challenged on it when you ignore that fact.

The Provos were a symptom of British/Unionist violence, expect to be challenged on it when you ignore that fact.

Have you gone completely loop the loop?

This thread is about the spread of the Coronavirus on this island, and somehow you're buying into the Poots argument all about Republicanism Vs Loyalism + Empires and Unicorns that don't exist.

Your brain seems to be totally addled and besotted with defending Republicanism, in other words you are Edwin Poots opposite number.

Forget his politics for one minute (if you can) and think of the bigger picture mentioned numerous times before in this thread re large gatherings.

Take out the Nationalist Vs Unionist 6-1 ratio which may or may be crap, and just accept that large gatherings are not good in the current Covid climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

If anyone saw the Stephen Nolan show tonight, they actually had the editor of The Newsletter defending his comments. It came across as just ridiculous sectarian with no leg to stand on. What is wrong with Unionists, serious media problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,398 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I am not saying what happened at the Storey funeral was right, but to suggest that it led to what Edwin Poots was saying is just totally incorrect. The figures are all in the link below, there's nothing there so suggest any spike in the weeks after the funeral.

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiZGYxNjYzNmUtOTlmZS00ODAxLWE1YTEtMjA0NjZhMzlmN2JmIiwidCI6IjljOWEzMGRlLWQ4ZDctNGFhNC05NjAwLTRiZTc2MjVmZjZjNSIsImMiOjh9

If Poots had any self-respect, he would just come out and admit that he got this one wrong. Of course he will never do that, he is a vile bigot.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

6541 wrote: »
    If anyone saw the Stephen Nolan show tonight, they actually had the editor of The Newsletter defending his comments. It came across as just ridiculous sectarian with no leg to stand on. What is wrong with Unionists, serious media problems.

Pass no remarks of him, he's one of the biggest bigots in the north and uses his rag to push his agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Normal One wrote: »
    I'm strongly in favour of a United Ireland but I disagree with us joining the commonwealth. It's an antiquated tip of the cap to imperialism/colonialism, and we owe that sort of thing absolutely nothing. It's a clean break we need.

The insurance policy for unionists is that they'll be significant stakeholders in a new Ireland, defined and protected by a new constitution, which in turn is backed by a European (E.U.) constitution and all the rights and equality afforded by those.

The commonwealth is a pretty harmless club , I feel nothing towards it which is why I see joining it as a very low cost gesture to unionists

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I think this is a great idea and I cannot see why it wasn't done years ago. Even at a token level. The only reason we left before was to appease more fanatical republican nationalists who were hell bent on a clean break. Idealistic flutes like Dev etc. Sure that phucker fancied us hanging around the crossroads swapping spuds. They were building motorways in the UK and we were walking barefoot under clowns like him.

Re-joining the commonwealth makes business sense and would certainly go a long way towards soothing Brexit concerns. It certainly would not get in the way of self determination, which for me is what having a United Ireland should be all about.

It is the actions of a few madser fanatics that has us in the Quagmire we are in. If we could take our heads out of the swamp we might see a brighter future for everyone. That makes more sense to me and might be something worth it.

A lot of Irish people instinctively associate The Commonwealth with former imperialism , I think most would realise it's a pretty twee get together these days

It's politically powerless so joining would have no effect on neutrality or tax policies etc

Join from a position of strength

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Ben Lowry?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

As a consumer i always make a point of looking up all the bargains before making a purchase, I like value and I hate wasting money on shight.

I also make a point of becoming a member of all the customer loyalty schemes where possible, it helps to get extra after you have spent your spends.

I don't see the Commonwealth as being any different. It is just another trade deal or customer reward scheme. I think as a country we should be taking every opportunity that arises to us, it is foolish not to.

I don't care about being associated with Britain , it does not compromise my identity at all. Irish people should drop their inhibitions about sharing a future with Britain, they are our closet neighbours, they should be cooperated with were possible, they are not the evil enemy.

as EU members we are not in a position to negotiate trade deals on our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Ben Lowry?

Ya he was outrageously sectarian on TV last night. He was like a cartoon character, like a thing from bygone years. Should be put in a museum and studied.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Maybe we should start that negotiation?

We should not be confined to what a gang of Euro stooges are telling us what to do? The concept that they care what happens politically in Ireland is a fallacy. They have only ever used this country as a stick to hit the Brits with, they don't really care.

It was the same in WW2 and it was the same in 1973. We got dragged in with the UK and they threw money at us like throwing crisps and Coca Cola at a crying child down the pub. The EU don't give a fiddlers about us, we only got in in 73 on the back of the Brits, that was the real reason we were taken on. They did not want any hassle over the border so they took the hit on us joining simultaneously.

As soon as Brexit is done the EU will be all over our CT rate and looking to get that paralleled to continental rates. We won't have a leg to stand on, just watch how that pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

Poots is still stuck in the 1690's.

Maybe we should start that negotiation?

We should not be confined to what a gang of Euro stooges are telling us what to do? The concept that they care what happens politically in Ireland is a fallacy. They have only ever used this country as a stick to hit the Brits with, they don't really care.

It was the same in WW2 and it was the same in 1973. We got dragged in with the UK and they threw money at us like throwing crisps and Coca Cola at a crying child down the pub. The EU don't give a fiddlers about us, we only got in in 73 on the back of the Brits, that was the real reason we were taken on. They did not want any hassle over the border so they took the hit on us joining simultaneously.

As soon as Brexit is done the EU will be all over our CT rate and looking to get that paralleled to continental rates. We won't have a leg to stand on, just watch how that pans out.

save the IREXIT crap for elsewhere.

Ya he was outrageously sectarian on TV last night. He was like a cartoon character, like a thing from bygone years. Should be put in a museum and studied.

Lowry is worse than the likes of Poots or other DUP backwoods men , he has the whole urbane intellectual thing going on but is highly intolerant and intransigent in reality

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Lowry is worse than the likes of Poots or other DUP backwoods men , he has the whole urbane intellectual thing going on but is highly intolerant and intransigent in reality

He is a bollocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

21 Days later...I cant wait for the movie/documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Malta and Cyprus are both members of the Commonwealth of Nations, as well as being members of the EU. The UK was obviously a member of both until recently.

There's not very much to the "trade" aspect of the Commonwealth. There's no legal framework that binds all members in this area.

Malta and Cyprus are both members of the Commonwealth of Nations, as well as being members of the EU.

the commonwealth is not a trading bloc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

larva wrote: »
    21 Days later...I cant wait for the movie/documentary.

Hardly enough material to make a moderate length trailer.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭ooter

what prog was Lowry on last night?
    would like to watch it back.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

No need for duplication on the topic, there's a thread here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058181549

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement