Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

No excuse for not feeding your own children as far as I'm concerned. The dogs get the school lunches here but they often turn their nose up at them. Our children say that they don't want anything but the teacher says you have to take it so they just bring it home for the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The main point is that the food is available to those who want it. I often wonder how these kids fare out during the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I spoke to my lad about them and he reckons some kids would go for a 2nd one every day. I told him to always let them kids get the spare and never point it out as they might only be eating that in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

Worked on a site next door to a creche for children from a very disadvantaged backgrounds.

Brilliant people, breakfast and dinner provided, would buy birthday and Christmas presents.

Was told they were trying to show the children what was normal and to break the cycle for the next generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭enricoh

The 2 kids came home with cottage pie the other day, I microwaved it and it was gorgeous. The dog thinks it's a great scheme anyway, some sour head on him that day though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,234 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Got a call from the dept today. Hello Say my name your stock will be collected tomorrow morning. The haulier will be in contact shortly to arrange a time.

Five minutes later. Phone rings. Apologies Say my name this is xxxxxx from the dept. I rang you by mistake. I'm not sure when your stock will be collected. I was supposed to ring someone else. Apologies.

I'm keeping my ears peeled for a possible crank call on Beat FM.

Someone said the film "The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy" is based on the civil service…

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Overseeding some poaching from overwintering light stock outside. It’s just round a gap where they come to the yard for meal and silage.

This mix is quoted as being harder wearing as it’s for horses. Will see if it makes any difference.

Wee electric hand spreader was very handy even if small capacity. It will need a rub of Harrow and roll now but it’s not quite fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,234 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I never even knew such a thing existed as that battery seeder. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭kk.man

OH teaches in a primary school which provides free meals. The amount of unused food she's brought home is eye watering. Some kids refuse to eat good food as they never had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Packrat

Give this school lunch crack a year or two and we'll have the expose about the substandard ingredients.

I'll feed my own thanks.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement

That's all well and good if you can feed your own. These schemes are aimed to help those who cant. The unused food should go to homeless shelters and not be sent home. People who will be grateful for it. I dont know what way it works in primary but in secondary it's the food is there if you want it. It's not mandatory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Packrat

Deis schools - yea absolutely.

But this nonsense is being rolled out nationwide. About 98% of it is waste of resources and just enabling lazy parenting by those with plenty of money, time knowledge to give their children food.

Also - how do I get my kids to eat proper lunches if I'm competing with pizza 3 days a week?

It's virtue signaling bollocks.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

No pizza or chips in our school. The primary scheme must be different to the secondary one. Porridge, scrambled egg, cereal , fruit available for breakfast for free. They can go in at anytime and get fruit free during the day. If they're late in at lunch time most of the food is gone so can't see there being too much waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭green daries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭kk.man

Same, but she teaches in a Deis primary school. What I see is fruit, wraps and those fruit drinks. I never asked why some kids dont eat but i presume those are the ones who are properly fed at home. I dont avail of this food myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭green daries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

If the food provided is nutritious- all families should encourage their kids to avail of it, otherwise you're stigmatising the children that do need it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Good point.

Herself gives our lads healthy stuff going to school but if what was provided in school was similar, I'd encourage our young lads to eat it. It'd save a few euro at home and help create "we're all in it together"

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

If they are allowed to serve pizza it goes against all the healthy eating policies they've been implementing in primary schools for years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Everything is okay in moderation... them kids who need the service most aren't seeing plates of veg etc at home so they would struggle to eat it in the school. It's a quick win to get some sort of food into them. In general the people posting here are well off when compared to large sections of society. If the large number of kids who need it most get a hot meal a day and the rest of our kids get a meal with more veg etc in the evenings to compensate I think it's a win.

After living in Salford inthe UK for a number of years I've witnessed the circle of poverty amongst thepeople there. Its very hard to break the welfare cycle etc and I honestly think this scheme is something which may help. Kids from the poorer backgrounds will go to school as it guarantees them possibly their only hot meal of the day. They also aren't stigmatised for not having lunch or being brought into a room to eat away from other kids who have lunch.

• Advertisement

Depends on the pizza toppings,. I must have a look back at Jamie's school dinners.

One of the kids here used to bring rice cakes as part of their healthy lunch until another kid told them cakes weren't allowed

That's kid's for you, I remember a young lad in primary brought in banana sandwiches, another kid told him they were mangels (beets). That was the end of banana sandwiches for him.

There is no such thing as being too poor to feed your children in this country. It's just down right laziness. There's plenty work out there to work extra hours if needs be

Shameful

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/avhf8JBSvJhdjTop/

There are druggies, alcoholics, etc that dont see feeding their kids as a priority unfortunately, they probably dont work. If these kids are getting some food in their bellies before they go home, I'd take that as a win. Such is the world we live in. Not all kids go home to a safe and loving home each day

Ya, I know. I'd prefer to address the source of the issue instead. Take the children off of them instead of rewarding their laziness. They all have money for drink, tv, streaming, mobiles, holidays, etc. Poor children are innocent victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Does anyone keep pigs, thinking of buying weaners to fatten for the freezer. What type feeder / water do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tileman

don’t forget today is last day for submitting your biss and anc application.
    I thought it was end of month. Anyway all submitted now but had to make a change to map so god knows when I will get the money next year

• Advertisement

My brother used to get jam sandwiches everyday. Rather than eat them he'd dump them under his bed, under the stairs, under the kitchen dresser, behind radiators. I can still hear my mother shouting at him. She couldn't figure out where the smell and the mice were coming from

Advertisement