Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Friend sent me this this morning. Not a very common sight in North Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Not a buzzard anyway. Looks like a Golden Eagle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Its a turkey!

Seriously, it looks like a Golden Eagle alright, some sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I wonder is it a white tailed eagle as I can see a white tail?

A good match and it's all to play for. Louth are putting it up to us.

• Advertisement

I'm not religious at all. I go to CofI church maybe just for christmas and funerals. Though I respect those that take the time every week or go and find it brings something to their lives. There's a social aspect behind it all too. It brings people out of themselves. (But maybe now too far it seems).

Been informed there was a church synod in Armagh last week and a proposal may have been voted in to only allow children be baptised in the Church of Ireland from married parents. I'm told this came from young male northern clergy. In another denomination, Methodist, in a local town a northern minister came to serve and basically closed down the religion in the town and surrounds. The meeting house and residence lately was sold off. He turned the congregation away from the religion from how he operated and how he didn't know how to operate with his own congregation and those of other religions. He was used to his own fundamentalist upbringing in the North of Ireland. I'm told to due to camps and such not, isolationist ideas and hardening of opinions that the situation has gotten worse instead of better in the North regarding Protestant religion in the six counties.

Really. Really stupid people.

I'm told female lay readers and clergy from Wexford and the republic did try and speak up. But…

Seems if true a very idiotic isolationist attitude from northern young males up their own backsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,237 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Cluxton wont be happy, I think we did ourselves proud

Yes ye did. IMO it was an very enjoyable match to watch.

Cluxton is probably the best keeper in championship gaa and at 42yo he will have a few words to say after the match. Eldest in Melbourne phoned me just after the match. He and a few of his friends watched the match over a few tinnies and burgers on the barbecue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Not COI but I was told a minister near Cavan town went on a solo run on this.. refusing to baptise children from unmarried parents and refusing to let other ministers in to do it.. There were a few hairy meetings where he faced things down.. But in the end he was moved on, I heard he's not a minister now or is on a sabatical or whatever..

My thinking on this is christian religions in particular have always changed and evolved, refusing children entry is hardly modern thinking and doesn't sound very christian at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Danny healy ray

just finished watching baby reindeer there on Netflix

• Advertisement

Wexford woman 27 year old Lucy Latta finished 2nd today in the 5 star eventing championship at Badminton Horse Trials. She's a first cousin of national hunt jockey Robbie Power and her grandfather William Powell Harris competed in Badminton 40 years ago. She was nearly the first Irish winner since Captain Eddie Boylan 59 years ago.

The horse that won was an Irish bred horse ridden by New Zealand rider Caroline Powell 59 years of age. The horse Lucy was riding was a British bred horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

Is dieing out anyway its only grey heads you see at mass,bar Christmas weddings funerals,if they don't let women priest it will go altogether.

I will be lay people for funerals/weddings if it's not happening allready

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It's a bit hypocritical from those complaining about not baptising those children when the parents didn't get married in the church.

You're either abiding by the bible or you're not,

A friend who's a Rector refers to non attenders as driven christians in that they are driven to their baptism, their confirmation, their wedding and finally their funeral.

A lot don't bother about attending services yet expect the church to be maintained and clean when they need it,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭orm0nd

One of our past rectors used to say... They come for the cake, but never for the bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Odelay

you can’t say a child is not welcome to be baptized depending on their parents marital status. Them being married or not is no fault of the child.

They should be left to join whichever religion they chose later in life really if the parents weren't religious.

I was at a wedding in 2020 where the grooms parents weren't religious and left the family do their own choosing their religion later , However the bride insisted on the groom being baptised into the roman catholic faith before the wedding.

In 2023 she went off with another man…. which really rubbished her so called faith and wedding promises

The first communions bug me. Most of the kids wont have been in a church since they were baptised, massive celebrations, like a mini wedding. A lot of families going into debt to fund it. Should be done outside of school timetable at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I stopped in a Spar shop this morning on a drive to get a cup of coffee to fill a gap in the belly where breakfast should have been. Filled my cup in the machine and went to the till where the girl said it was €3.70. I rummaged through my pockets and had €4 worth of coins there. No card, no notes. All that in the wallet I'd forgotten at home. It was a new one on me to see her put the coins through some machine at the till. A 50c kept being rejected and the girl wouldn't accept it then. I argued that she could see it was a 50c, therefore she should take it. But nope, she was adamant she wouldn't. I said I'd give ya €3.50 for the coffee, or they may give me the money back cos I'd no more. She decided to give me back my money which involved her getting a manager of some sort to come and open the till to get the change out. He was equally fuckin stupid.

Why would the department refuse a locked up herd permission to purchase a stock bull?

• Advertisement

I've a stash of change in my car and a 10 euro note under the sun visor. Some of the staff in those garages/shops are unreal. I often see in our local shop they have a few coins on the side if anyone's short theyll put it in towards it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭green daries

They as far as I know are not entitled to do that

I pay the sustantation for myself and those of my family who do attend regularly.

I'm on the vestry albeit to make the numbers.

All my family who attend and others not in family who attend say this is a serious retrograde step.

My 87 year old father who should have life experience said this is a serious retrograde step. He was commenting on the new people attending and said who's going to join now.

In the Bible it's said the shepherd left his flock of 99 to search for his lamb of 1. The 99 weren't happy but so be it the 1 was saved.

Now this is basically saying lock doors and phuck off with the 1's. It's gone from a Christian church of inclusivity to one of exclusivity and it's one that will hasten it's own demise.

I gave a very good example of a Northern methodist minister who had a congregation in a local town and through his actions closed the whole thing down. It was there for 100's of years and just like that an up himself bad apple came in and turned people off. They joined the local CofI.

There was a Swedish clergywoman down this part of the country. Mary McAleese attended a big service with her in Waterford. She used to say how loony elements were getting in the Northern half of the country at synods. Unless someone was attending then you didn't really know what she meant by it. She's not there anymore and her voice is gone and now this was seemingly voted in.

One can be too close to a thing to not see a bigger picture. There was a religious head of Northern Ireland. Married. Living with a male partner and who now is having court cases brought for underage sex. On paper he was pious. But it was all for show for his environment.

If you exclude children being baptised because of their parents martial status. You'll either have two things happen. The parents will marry just so their child can get baptised. Get into that school and get further into that secondary school. It won't matter if the parents love each other, abusive, are gay, one night stand, etc. What the church is saying it doesn't matter you have to live a lie. Get married. The second thing that will happen is the parents will say to hell with this there's other religions or none that are more appealing.

Must be some private school d1ckheads now in the synods. And it sounds they never had an education in the real world only in the yard they were brought up in.

It's far removed from the country church I was reared in where it didn't matter if you were black, white, married, unmarried. If you wanted your child baptised you were granted your wish. That's not to say there were children baptised in other religions at the same time. But if you wanted to keep the doors open allcomers were taken.

As I say like the methodist minister who came to the foreign part of the country and had no cop on. This is the very same decision. No cop on behind it. Bar to close churches and then walk away saying it wasn't me. Christian it ain't.

We're lucky in that Tullamore parish has a lot of property, otherwise we'd be financially frigged, direct giving only covers about a third of the money needed

Times are changing all the time, I don't think same sex marriages are done in a church either because the bible says a marriage strictly is between a man and a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

Everyone should maintain there own house the church should be no different

A lot of families have enough to pay to keep their own house with the cost of living without maintaining the church as well.

Contributors and contributions are reducing all the time, and people are too well educated to believe nowadays compared with even 50 years ago

I paid money by direct debit to local parish monthly, for twenty years, i dont go to mass . When I moved banks i never moved the payment. My thoughts were if they need it they'll come looking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭emaherx

It's still harder to get places in many schools without a baptism (or at the very least this is often the perception)

My 3 kids were baptized but I've no belief whatsoever and my wife doesn't seem too bothered either to be honest. Funny enough one of my son's who's 15 brings himself off to mass every week.

I think when religion is finally removed from the majority of schools those looking for baptisms will get considerably smaller.

I didn't go to church for 40years but I'm going now since retiring, I'm not religious but i love church music and we've two really good organists, one that has played in our church since he was eight years old and has now, at fourteen, got a scholarship to train in St Patricks Cathedral, he's in demand now all around the area, when he gets a driving license we probably wont have him.

His aunt also plays in our church and she's gifted too

I also pay weekly by direct debit and mow a big graveyard so if they want more than that, I'll be gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Should be done inside school timetable.

Communion on a weekday while wearing uniform. Then back to class afterwards.

Advertisement