Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭kk.man

Intelligent guy but after the last leadership contest I'd say it took wind out of his sails. He reminds me of Brian Lenihan ..always the bridesmaid.

The RTE thing didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,344 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He didn't have the balls or the work ethic to push Kenny out when he ended up second in the leadership and like all the Cabinet he no longer seems interested in the job or dealing with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Just noticed the pound of butter i opened this evening was paler than usual. Would this be due to the bad spring and lack of fresh grass in the cows diet compared to other years?

Dairy Manor Lidl brand butter.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Odelay

He did very well during the Brexit negotiations. Was calm and didn't take the bait from the DUP and Tory. Stuck to his guns, very calm and polite, no bullsh1t, just told them this is the reality of the situation they made for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭green daries

I agree I thought he was outstanding during all them ridiculous antics in the North and in London with the rubbish they thought they could get away with I think Leo and himself will get a lot of credit . For the negotiations around brexit........now possibly a big part of it was they looked half sane in comparison to the dumpster fire 🔥 standing beside them 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

oh can burn up in heat alright but it’s not overly Sandy some seams of sand alright. The tillage farmer next door is ploughing and replanting a field down with winter Barley last September. Some money down drain with seed, fertiliser and diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Don’t know why it’s sideways sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

There was a lad like Coveney at school with my brother, "Yorkie bar" they used call him, ("Big, Rich, and Thick"). There wasn't much happening wherever Simon was, anyway he's gone off with his pension, back to his estate and trust fund. With the brother finished up in RTE it's probably time for another family round the world yacht trip, for charity of course.

He might turn up here too of course, he's a farm manager by trade afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Tileman

great man for running down everyone . Easy be a hurler on the Ditch. Have u actually ever done anything local as simple as a tidy towns committee of gaa club. It’s a complete no thanks job with everyone . Multiply that x1000 for a politician. Most politicians are decent and do it for the right reasons. People think it’s great money. A good politician would make 3x as much money in the business world without any of the hassle.

The problem is we are turning people off politics. The ones who are coming in are the ones shouting loudest. Eg trump, borris etc. this is not good for democracy longer term. People take it for granted but that’s how the fascist got into power in Germany in the 1930s. They bullied everyone with a sane voice until they were afraid to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭straight

Wasn't coveney getting alot of death threats from the north. Remember that time he was rushed out of there due to a bomb threat. That sh1t is tough going for a man with a family. Always seemed genuine and hard working to me anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Would Coveney have done anything different to Varadker? I don't think so.

Coveney might have been from Cork but he's D4 thru and thru. And the bigger issue these days is that all Irish political parties are Dublin-centric, especially around Donnybrook (RTE) and D'Olier St (Irish Times). The recent referendum exposed that but it's obvious with years.

Simon, Leo, Mary Lou, Micheál - take your pick.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

A good politician would make 3x as much money in the business world without any of the hassle.

Any of the director level professionals in multinationals would easily earn 10 times a politicians/ministers salary without any intrusion in one's private life.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2024/0312/1437440-former-glanbia-boss-siobhan-talbot-to-receive-1-14m/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

what’s with your chip on the shoulder about the man. Almost sounds personal

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I got pink milk- well it's not pink, the carton is pink- in aldi last night, date 8th April. Used it in a cup of coffee, it was rank. Then tried tea, horrible. Horrible taste. Normally fine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It's all mostly begrudgery, You get very few sensible proposals from the general public ,

I Hope, like me, that Coveney has learnt to ignore all the rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Would most Dairy farmers buy milk in a shop? We always drank our own cows milk here years ago, when we had dairy cows.

I milked a suckler cow yesterday by hand for a neighbour to tube a calf. Amazing how you never loose the skill. I used to milk a cow for the house for a few years after we got out of dairying.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

What ever he does next I wish the man luck. We are fast running out of capable people to run our country. The party missed a trick in choosing their last leader and I’ve a feeling the new man won’t steady the ship either

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ye, we've bought milk for years. Stopped using tank milk when cows got tb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Jack98

Harris is the fall guy for the next election, the mass exodus of sitting tds announcing they weren’t running again ever before Leo stood down…the writing was on the wall for a poor election next time around. Take the hit and when they start to rebuild Harris will get over thrown fairly swiftly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭50HX

Hard to beat the creaminess of it

Except for the first week or 2 when the go to gras

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

The Killeshin/Jersey milkis now available in dunnes ive seen recently powerful stuff altogether. Black label bottle. I find with it too that the bottle nearly swells up a bit a day before the best before date i reckon its because its not processed near as much as the conventional stuff.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭orm0nd

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Coveney always seems a square decent sort of a lad, I’d say he’d be reliable to have in your corner, probably not exciting enough to make party leader, maybe if he was in a lesser party.

FG seem to be faltering now and with an election on the cards it’s not a good time. I suppose back to their roots of a city party, there was never much in them for country folk.

Is it likely next government would need to be a FF/SF/FG coalition. I presume nobody with brain cells would give the Greens a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭older by the day

It's gas, we are to busy farming to eat our own food. Like a neighbour of mine who sat potatoes a few years ago said when they grew, he didn't have the time to dig them.

We were always almost self sufficient up to the naughties. My wife would not touch milk from the tank, we gave up the pigs, and up to lately it was cheaper to buy vegetables than growing them. But I set early potatoes and cabbage, lettuce, easy things to get going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Hard to beat a set of 'bottle tits' eh patsy. 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Seemed to have alot of "Dodgy" friends too - some of which he appointed to state Boards like ABP which led to recent planning scandals. His brother didn't exactly cover himself in glory either via the cushy number he got in RTE, then having to resign over recent scandal

PS - The Ditch media posted a recent pic of a FG candidate selection convention, hard to pic anyone younger than 70 out in the audience, probably why so many folks under 40 struggling with cost of living issues which this government has mostly ignored, are going to opposition parties

Eh? Sorry Simon, I was only joking, didn't realise it actually was you! I hope you didn't get mountainy lambs anyway?

Are you replying to someone else or thinking of some other post? I was replying to post that ended with "Discuss", I didn't realise only eulogies were allowed.

And running who down? I didn't say one word about his personality or integrity, only his ability and lifestyle. As for everyone???

Two examples of Simon in office,

As minister for ag he brought in supposedly temporary emergency rendering restrictions that handed control of the Irish beef industry to Larry Goodman.

As Minister for Housing, he had 64 meetings with the construction industry representatives, and 3 with social housing groups.

I was obviously never too impressed with Simon, and contrary to other some opinions expressed I'd say he'd have done alright in regular life but without the confidence, connections, and opportunities his background could have granted him, I couldn't have seen him set the world alight as some predicted.

Any politician I've come across who had business acumen had no issue running the two side by side, but most aren't up to much more than any normal Joe.

I'm actually quite happy to praise politicians and have defended individuals from cheap characters shots here a few times, but maybe not the right ones for you?

BTW I've given 30 odd years as a volunteer here in social, sports, agricultural, advisory, and development organisations thanks for asking, but assume and throw muck away for yourself.

• Advertisement

What chip? As posted above, I just wouldn't be his biggest fan, he doesn't seem to be short of a few cheerleaders anyway, and more power to him. I'd hardly be posting an off hand comment and joke on here about someone that I had a personal issue anyway!

Advertisement