Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will the college degree 'bubble' burst?

Options
  • 16-10-2020 12:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

When does someone think this will burst? Not as much of an issue in Ireland but it seems that places like the U.S. or Canada have thousands of students going to college, many who either have no idea what to do, no ability to do the course they choose and/or no money but go anyway. They come out 4+ years with a crappy degree and end up working as a Barista.

It said that a Bachelors is the new H.S. diploma. In the 50-80s, you could graduate secondary school, get a factory job and support yourself and a whole family by the age of 20. Nowadays, people are still living with mommy and daddy up until 30. And the competition for jobs is enormous even with a degree.

What do you think the future of education is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's people's own fault for wasting 4 years out in Belfield. Granted, everyone needs to find their own level and make the most of it, but there has to be a limit to such useless waste of time and money. They should have studied harder for the Leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

When does someone think this will burst? Not as much of an issue in Ireland but it seems that places like the U.S. or Canada have thousands of students going to college, many who either have no idea what to do, no ability to do the course they choose and/or no money but go anyway. They come out 4+ years with a crappy degree and end up working as a Barista.

It said that a Bachelors is the new H.S. diploma. In the 50-80s, you could graduate secondary school, get a factory job and support yourself and a whole family by the age of 20. Nowadays, people are still living with mommy and daddy up until 30. And the competition for jobs is enormous even with a degree.

What do you think the future of education is?

They end up posting endless numbers of inane threads on Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Anyone doing a gender studies/equality etc.. degree is only hurting their job opportunities, getting a non stem degree wont help you for anything anymore.

That said myself and the owner of a dublin coffee shop chain did have a laugh one day in one of the stores, talking with the staff and one of them had a masters in journalism, another a psychology degree, myself and himself without degrees, we laughed and drank coffee and left in our range rover and Porsche respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Anyone doing a gender studies/equality etc.. degree is only hurting their job opportunities, getting a non stem degree wont help you for anything anymore.

That said myself and the owner of a dublin coffee shop chain did have a laugh one day in one of the stores, talking with the staff and one of them had a masters in journalism, another a psychology degree, myself and himself without degrees, we laughed and drank coffee and left in our range rover and Porsche respectively.

There is more to wealth than digits on a bank computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

There should be more value and emphasis placed on apprenticeships and on the job training, rather than continuously studying theory.

Many of these degrees/masters don't prepare the person for the working environment.

People get sucked into the marketing hype that colleges spew out about their courses, what people need to realise is, colleges are businesses and need to market and sell their courses to get bums on seats. That's their primary concern, not whether you get a job/career at the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭con747

I faintly hear a 1982 Whitesnake song Mr Feg.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Is a psychology degree bull****? I know a smart Colombian/Irish girl who studied psychology at Trinity. The points are 555 so it's pretty damn high.

from what I read, psychology is not even a soft science and considered as useless as journalism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

There is more to wealth than digits on a bank computer.

Tell that to the homeless man who gets rained on and gets kicked/urinated on by passers by because he can't afford adequate housing.

Without money, you are nothing in this world. Money can't guarantee 100% happiness but a lack of money can guarantee 100% misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Funny, earlier this year I was talking to a high flying management guy I knew who was flying over to the states for his MNC to get rid of a whole lot of IT guys.
    He originally had joined the management in that company with a masters in journalism.

Mr Meanor wrote: »
    Funny, earlier this year I was talking to a high flying management guy I knew who was flying over to the states for his MNC to get rid of a whole lot of IT guys.
    He originally had joined the management in that company with a masters in journalism.

This is my point, your undergrad doesnt necissarily return good results, theres more than a degree that decides success

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

At the end of any training course you should be trained to complete a job....any job but at least a job. There are many courses that provide you with these skills ....but there is a good many that give you a generic degree. There is a lot of certificate and diploma courses that are better options than doing a degree.

I always remember about twenty years ago I was attending a training course in the big smoke. We were up for two weeks and on an allowance rather than expenses. John ( lord to mercy on him) was with me and we got booked into a BnB/ digs on the outskirts of Dublin.

The land lady bought us in and after introduction's started to show us photos of her son who was in his late 20's early 30's with his degrees, master's and God knows what else.

Now before I continue I will skip a bit. Over the next week I noticed ( with John's teaching he was 10-12 years older than me) that here were a very well off couple, of ordinary stock that worked hard. He was a builder( an opposed to a developer but nowadays he be referred to as a developer) and his wife the landlady who ran a BnB in a well to do area on the Northside of Dublin.

So here were this couple with a massive house on nearly 2 acres, with houses along on a row that were on 3/4 to an acre sites that it seemed he built overlooking the sea.

There son was doing his doctorate in Trinity College. Along with myself and John who had breakfast at about 8.,00 she had tradesmen having it at 6.30-7.00pm. To this day I remember Johns reposte as we stood there looking at them that first day...

''Bass beware none of yours become professional students''

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

This is my point, your undergrad doesnt necissarily return good results, theres more than a degree that decides success

Actually I think you missed the point entirely, but it's a masters thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Tell that to the homeless man who gets rained on and gets kicked/urinated on by passers by because he can't afford adequate housing.

Without money, you are nothing in this world. Money can't guarantee 100% happiness but a lack of money can guarantee 100% misery.

I think you slightly missed his point, Donald can correct me if I've taken him out of context but I don't believe he used the word Wealth solely as a materialistic point but as a general being of the person.

The person who is pissing on the poor unfortunate (who lets be fair most likely does not have any sort of degree) may have a degree of some sorts, but the pure fact that they are pissing on a homeless person to me shows a lack of wealth of knowledge, integrity possibility patience and probably a lot more human traits of humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

You later told Aonghus Von Bismarck and Permabear about this at your ski lodge in the Swiss Alps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

https://www.glassdoor.com/blog/no-degree-required/

Life skills and experience will get you into some places. But most still want that bit of paper to prove you can stick out the pain of working life LOL :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Achebe wrote: »
    You later told Aonghus Von Bismarck and Permabear about this at your ski lodge in the Swiss Alps.

The plumber who serviced a mate’s boiler drove a Range Rover, not an A Level to his name but my God he could buy and sell ye!!!

Did you ask recently how he's getting on repaying the finance on his Porsche from his coffee chain business?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Lol Range Rover and Porsche, couldn’t think of two bigger twat models of car if I tried. Imagine having your chest puffed out over two youngones working in a coffee shop having gone to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

People's abilities always shine through, the top class surgeon would probably still be top of his field if he didn't go to college and tried his hand at something else.
    The problem is people with zero ability and sense still think a degree/masters will get them a top job and instead they end up working in something dead end and complain about how it was easier for their parents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Snotty wrote: »
    People's abilities always shine through, the top class surgeon would probably still be top of his field if he didn't go to college and tried his hand at something else.
    The problem is people with zero ability and sense still think a degree/masters will get them a top job and instead they end up working in something dead end and complain about how it was easier for their parents.

This - a million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

Is a psychology degree bull****? I know a smart Colombian/Irish girl who studied psychology at Trinity. The points are 555 so it's pretty damn high.

from what I read, psychology is not even a soft science and considered as useless as journalism.

Accidentally upvoted you. It is a soft science and like other mainstream degrees it's useful for a lot of jobs as it shows the person is able to think critically. There's a surprising amount of statistics in it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I came back from England at 21 and decided I wanted to do a degree in university. I was always good at history and geography at school so decided to do that with an eye on becoming a teacher when I was finished. The idea that STEM is the only thing people should be learning is short sighted philistine nonsense to be honest. Yes society needs scientists, it also needs linguists and artists and all of that craic. These things as a whole make for a richer culture and society in general. The idea that education’s sole purpose in life should be to create workers for corporations is dystopian in the extreme.

That having been said, when I was in college the vast majority of my fellow students in these subjects hadn’t a clue. Like third year history in a class about the USSR and people not knowing who Stalin was, it was clear that university for them was more about a holding pen or vague ‘experience’ (eg getting lashed every second day). Grade inflation and dumbing down of courses in humanities is also definitely a thing.

Personally I’d much rather a return to on the job training and apprenticeships into work. It would be better for a lot of people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Education is never a waste of time. Don't confuse education with job training.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

The thing is, employers expect a piece of paper for jobs where it was unnecessary in the past. The jobs haven't changed it's just that more people have degrees. I definitely think there should be more encouragement to take up apprenticeships. That's a better route in to a lot of jobs and for some people who struggle through college, practical work might be better than theory. But absolutely, education isn't just about getting a job

There's also a thing in Ireland where a degree is considered better than learning a trade, so maybe there's a bit of snobbery there too. It makes no sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

My degree is next to useless in practical terms. I don't recall using more than maybe 2% of it in my career of 15 years so far. I would say practical experience in all the sh1tty jobs I did provided far more to my skillset. That said, every job I looked at had a degree as a requirement so without it, I wouldn't have this career. I can think of two people I hired with Masters who really struggled, because they couldn't look someone in the eye when they spoke to them, and panicked at the first sign of conflict / anything going off script. I should note that wasn't the case of everyone, we had some very good, highly educated people too.

I think we have it all wrong here in many ways. I work in financial services, and spent some time working in Paris. Over there bigger firms partner with universities so that students can combine work and education. Their work benefits their education, allows them to earn some money, gain some practical experience, and build a network. For example a lot of people also started in the internal audit function, with the stated objective of allowing them to experience as many different departments as they could, so they could hone in on the ones they liked later.

Here the route seems to be degree, bang out NAVs endlessly for all hours without complaint for 5 years, then if you can still stomach it, you can branch out into something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

As they say, ignorance is bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

College degrees are a good starting place providing fundamental -> master level knowledge of a subject matter to allow someone to excel in a chosen field becoming an expert through further learning and experience in the workplace. A degree is not the end its the beginning. Someone who achieved a H1 (L8 Hons)Degree in Engineering will most likely grasp and own a subject matter a lot faster than a H4 (L7 Ordinary) Degree in engineering guy. Who do you think will get the job or project!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

How is the city center coffee shop doing these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

gar32 wrote: »
    https://www.glassdoor.com/blog/no-degree-required/

Life skills and experience will get you into some places. But most still want that bit of paper to prove you can stick out the pain of working life LOL :)

That's the reality as long as jobs are still looking for degrees for every role the bubble will remain but people are copping on that most university degrees are worthless. We don't really look from them now in our field because there's more relevant qualifications that candidates can have.

There was a movement to try shoehorn the Arts into STEM (calling it STEAM) and movements to decolonialize Maths lol, that theres now talk in the States of some STEM fields leaving the univeristy system to decouple itself from the woke lunacy rampant in 3rd level

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    How is the city center coffee shop doing these days?

Id imagine not well, leaving those staff with degrees and masters out of pocket.

Degree inflation has really become a big issue these days, I think its sad that students are being told its the only path to success.

We need a robust strategy of welcoming more apprenticeships and not seeing it as a lesser way to go after school than college. We also need to start telling students that they're better off picking a degree with good career prospects rather than just giving colleges money for the ever longer list of 'passion project' degrees out there.

But also train kids in school in basic business skills and entrepreneurship, the way forward isn't always third level and I know myself I just wasted two years of my life in college because it was the done thing, not because it was what I wanted to do.

Advertisement